2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

3 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I think it's a bit of a myth that Goss doesn't work hard or tackle.

Yep, agree. Don't know what went on before but his work rate was excellent after the Kettle was on the boil.

27 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Yep, agree. Don't know what went on before but his work rate was excellent after the Kettle was on the boil.

He never tracks back is not the great passer we all think who has the most assists well its the much malgned Spittal i believe

3 hours ago, grumpy said:

The trick is to look and see who is posting the criticism..........then ignore it.

It works for me.

A very dangerous thing to do. By doing so you might miss a gem of information. Nobody is all right or all wrong.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Class acts - I miss the days where we landed such quality. 

Cooper never needed to tackle - the ball was glued to his foot. 
Bobby Russell was such a quality footballer.  

Parkheid 1989.....last minute.....Boaby Russell class finish.....ahhhhh happy days

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Coatsy said:

He never tracks back is not the great passer we all think who has the most assists well its the much malgned Spittal i believe

Not a great passer? I respectfully disagree with you there. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Not a great passer? I respectfully disagree with you there. 

Spittal 6 Goals 7 assists Goss 1 Goal 4 assists

Furlong and Johnston played half a season and got 3 assists each

Not saying he can't pass but its what you should expect from a Premiership player (i know that earleir no one could string two passes together but that must have been training/confidence under Hammell)

On these stats he is not making as many key passes as you may think

40 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Not saying he can't pass but its what you should expect from a Premiership player (i know that earleir no one could string two passes together but that must have been training/confidence under Hammell)

Paul Scholes' assist numbers weren't fantastic. I think it's only one way of measuring it. You have to ask who is playing Johnston, Furlong and Spittal into the positions where they can cut it back to the strikers..? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Paul Scholes' assist numbers weren't fantastic. I think it's only one way of measuring it. You have to ask who is playing Johnston, Furlong and Spittal into the positions where they can cut it back to the strikers..? 

59 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Beat me to it, was thinking along those lines.

1 hour ago, Coatsy said:

Not wanting to take sides in this debate, but Spittal plays much further forward than Goss and his role in the team is entirely different. You cant assess his ability to pass the ball on that stat alone.

I wouldnt be fussed if Goss left. I think he is replaceable. But I wont be raging if he does sign on again. 

Like most of our players, he has strengths and weaknesses.

Goss was superb in the second half of the season and his range of passing worked well with the two wingbacks pushing up.

He will be hard to replace. In midfield we badly need Slattery to screw the nut and put in the kind of consistent performances that he never really has before. He's got the talent but we need application.

46 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Goss was superb in the second half of the season and his range of passing worked well with the two wingbacks pushing up.

He will be hard to replace. In midfield we badly need Slattery to screw the nut and put in the kind of consistent performances that he never really has before. He's got the talent but we need application.

Agree with this. If we continue with the same set up Kettlewell introduced then Goss could be a great asset with the right support. Same applies to Spittal.  Slattery does need to step up as I find him the most frustrating of our midfielders. I do think there is a player in there but we need more consistency and better ball retention from him. And less yellow cards.

I wonder if Paton is seen as an option to Slattery. I know you don't rate him but, given his time out of the game, maybe with a proper pre season and regular game time he will prove you and others wrong. I think it is far to early to make an assessment and clearly Kettlewell trusts him to contribute. Remember also that Butcher was signed as a midfielder although his performances as an emergency centre back suggest he might stay there when fit. But Butcher remains a midfield option if we can afford to release him forward.

I do think the potential is there for us to have a very strong midfield but that depends on what happens at wing back and central defence.

My biggest concern is up front where we just simply have to find a natural goal scorer. Not easy, but essential as none of squad we are left with fits that bill.

Four top signings could turn us into a really good team if we can retain Goss and Casey. And dare I say it, an attractive team to watch.  Otherwise it's yet another massive rebuild.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

It's difficult to predict who will do well in the striker position. Before he joined us KVV himself didn't exactly have the stats in England that would predict a 29 goal season.

Fair to assume KVV hit his purple patch last season but he had score close to 20 goals per person with other clubs.   More than some of our strikers have combined over their careers.   

Efford had scored goals with the Greek club, other than that the data isn't that great for our other strikers.  Would personally like to see Efford get a chance at playing through the middle . If we get balls into the box he might grab a few goals. 

18 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Fair to assume KVV hit his purple patch last season but he had score close to 20 goals per person with other clubs.   More than some of our strikers have combined over their careers.   

Efford had scored goals with the Greek club, other than that the data isn't that great for our other strikers.  Would personally like to see Efford get a chance at playing through the middle . If we get balls into the box he might grab a few goals. 

If we are pinning our hopes on Efford, who apart from a few flashes has been utter garbage then we are in trouble.

Truth is, we 1000009675% need at least 2 strikers in!!

41 minutes ago, Mccus28 said:

If we are pinning our hopes on Efford, who apart from a few flashes has been utter garbage then we are in trouble.

Truth is, we 1000009675% need at least 2 strikers in!!

I agree , Efford statistically has scored more goals in his career but wouldn’t pin any hopes on any of the strikers.

more likely to get goals from spittal and tierney 

11 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I agree , Efford statistically has scored more goals in his career but wouldn’t pin any hopes on any of the strikers.

more likely to get goals from spittal and tierney 

Efford is a strange one, he has scored a few goals but injury and KVV as good as he was last season he never got a chance of an extended run in the team.

So maybe he needs a chance to show what he can do, but not on his own we still need at least one striker in.

Be really interesting to see what Efford can do this season. He looked a different player under Hammell, but got injured too quickly to assess whether he could have maintained that form. A lot might depend on how SK wants to play this season. If he continues with last seasons shape/tactics its hard to see how Efford fits into that. He might be one that we are looking to move on. He wouldnt be first on my list for that fate though.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic