2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

For a minute, let's set aside the obvious off field baggage that Motherwell would inherit along with Goodwille and the turmoil that would cause. On a purely footballing basis,  Fletcher is a far better option than someone who has hardly kicked a ball since January 2022. Particularly in the Country's top division. And in that same League  Fletcher showed up well in every game he featured against us last season. If age is a factor as some suggest, Goodwillie is not really that much younger than Fletcher.

Motherwell would be crazy to consider Goodwillie. I do suspect the suggestion was tongue in cheek. At least I hope so,

OK, obviously, the Goodwillie suggestion wasn't a serious one. I came up with that cause we cant say 'Alan Gow' any more !

If i'd known people would debate it as a serious suggestion, I wouldn't have said it !!!!

41 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Working in the EPL as an assistant manager with Sheffield Utd. Managed by Hibs reject Paul Heckingbottom.

Oh ok I totally missed the context of the original post. I thought the poster meant he had signed Jones now but obviously meant when he was at Motherwell. I’ll be better after a wee nap. 

29 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

OK, obviously, the Goodwillie suggestion wasn't a serious one. I came up with that cause we cant say 'Alan Gow' any more !

If i'd known people would debate it as a serious suggestion, I wouldn't have said it !!!!

No worries mate , I have same feelings with my jokes....."if I knew they would be that rotten ....I wouldn't have cracked them," 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Really hoped Casey would have signed, not looking likely, need at least two CB’s a tough tackling CM, a wide man with pace and a CF to replace KVV, squad looks Alexander weak, fingers crossed we bring a few in before season starts.

8 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Really hoped Casey would have signed, not looking likely, need at least two CB’s a tough tackling CM, a wide man with pace and a CF to replace KVV, squad looks Alexander weak, fingers crossed we bring a few in before season starts.

Agree that defence needs attention. Both out wide and in the middle. That would give us a solid base on which to build. Need to offload some though. 

9 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

Casey was excellent. Agree that we need to strengthen. 

Be interesting to see if we sign a wide player or go with wingbacks which we did much of last season.   

Im hoping that we're more than a 1 trick pony with formation. 

According to scott burns,casey is waiting to see if interest from england comes to anything and goss has interest from india.i would like both to stay especially casey but we can't wait around much longer for them to decide.

1 hour ago, mfc said:

According to scott burns,casey is waiting to see if interest from england comes to anything and goss has interest from india.i would like both to stay especially casey but we can't wait around much longer for them to decide.

Casey is offski and has already told the club he won’t be back 

If you look at Caseys playing history, ROI snd USA 2nd tier he's not a player that would have stuck out as a "must do" signing.

I just wonder if he looked better than his previous playing experience would have suggested because he had Callum Butcher beside him.

Maybe Butcher can replicate that with Sam Campbell and Shane Blaney given time.

2 hours ago, fizoxy said:

We found Casey, we'll find Casey's replacement. Same goes for Goss. Time to move on.

completely. Im all for setting a player a deadline and if he doesn't sign we move on.  Otherwise players can have all the chips. 

This may cut off our nose but I'd much prefer to push on. Suspect SK already has, he comes across as pretty black/white on these kinds of topics. 

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

No offence to him but I hope SK doesn't have Bevis lined up to take Casey's place 

Exactly,there's no way we can be going back to relying on mugabi or even lamie for that matter,those days should be over.our upturn in form last season was partly due to getting decent defenders into the team and that's what we should be looking for again and not going with proven bombscares.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 5:39 PM, grizzlyg said:

All about opinions but I found it strange folk getting excited about a guy on trial from Beith yet an experienced Scottish international is viewed as a negative.

Now this might sound bizarre but Fletcher and Shields could be a good combination as Fletcher's experience could help Shields especially if Shields played as an actual striker. However 10 mins into his next well game and no doubt Shields will start getting pelters again, hardly going to help the lads confidence

I don't think it's bizarre,it could work with our new formation

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 5:39 PM, grizzlyg said:

Now this might sound bizarre but Fletcher and Shields could be a good combination as Fletcher's experience could help Shields especially if Shields played as an actual striker. However 10 mins into his next well game and no doubt Shields will start getting pelters again, hardly going to help the lads confidenc

Shields isn't good enough. What's bizzare is that he's now into his third season with us and some are still trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Shields isn't good enough. What's blizzard is that he's now into his third season with us and some are still trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Completely with you on this.  THere's something a bit odd about modern day football that demands be big, strong and athletic above being a good player. 

Guys like Obika, Mandron, Main, Shields.   All big and strong but will only chip in with goal return of 4-5 goals.   Thats simply not enough. 

For a striker I have one single desire. Score goals.  Small, Tall, think, muscular I don't really care but scoring goals and not being a dick are really the only 2 criteria that matter. 

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Shields isn't good enough. What's blizzard is that he's now into his third season with us and some are still trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

In all honesty I don't think he's good enough either, was just thinking maybe playing with an experienced player might improve him.

Judging by your opinion I can assume you  think he is snow very good!! Lol

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

Sheilds probably isnt good enough. I wouldnt necessarily judge him on his playing time in our team as he has largely been played out of position, but he hardly set the heather on fire at Queens Park playing thru the middle, so difficult to see him being any better for us there.

However, he is still our player, so until we have a better option or move him on, I think we need to accept that he is going to get more game time. Having a player like Fletcher alongside him would certainly help him. No harm to Obika, but Fletcher would be a massive upgrade on him.

Yeah if there is any chance of getting Steven Fletcher then we need to take it. I don’t know if we could afford him or even if he wants to come here but I think we should be looking into it.

As I said before our current striker options just won’t do and we can’t rely on Shields, Efford, Obika and Mandron(if we keep him) to get us goals next season otherwise we will be in trouble.

• David locked this topic