2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Tom Aldred wasn't wanted at Bury. Scott McDonald had one foot on the boat back to Australia. Kipre was second choice of the trialists. We've got the best out of any number of players that didn't fit in anywhere else. Is he a sure thing? Nope, but I'm struggling to remember the last 'sure thing' we signed.. 

We have signed strikers with better pedigree in recent memory. KVV, Cole, Watt, Lang even Long. 

It's not a position we should be gambling on. 

24 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We have signed strikers with better pedigree in recent memory. KVV, Cole, Watt, Lang even Long. 

If you know of any strikers in our price range that are a guaranteed 20 goals a season then you should speak up.

If you know of any strikers outside of our price range that are guaranteed 20 goals a season you should become an agent - although I wouldn't tell any prospective clients about your posting history where you were telling people Higdon was fat and useless.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, steelboy said:

3 league goals last season.

1 versus Salford. 1 versus Gillingham. 1 versus Doncaster. Hardly reasonable.

3-7-12-5-12 is reasonable for us in terms of bringing someone in.  

6 out of the last 7 seasons we've not had someone in double figures for league goals, so he's statistically better than we've been as a club.

Like I said time will tell.

19 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just to be clear that's pretty much true of all Scots clubs bar 2 or maybe 4 at push. We're no exception. 

Completely , the power of the SPL & Scottish leagues is what I referred to. 

5 clubs are ahead of us (Rangers/Celtic/Aberdeen/Hearts/Hibs) and have much bigger fan base, finances. 

This is why the supercomputer has us in 6th and the those mentioned above us.  After that it's much of a muchness albeit we've been in the league for 40+ years. 

Long gone are the days of hearing we've signed anyone who we can be very excited about.  Russell, Cooper, Coyne, Coyle etc .

4 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I will definitely give him a chance and hopefully everyone else will.  Can just picture his first  game....Booooo, rubbish.....get off.......(and that's just during the warm-up!!) Lol

Steelboy leading the Boooos 😏

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

You want to have a look at the goal records of Long, Cole and even Van Veen before they signed for Motherwell. Pedigree isn't the word that springs to mind. Even Watt's goal record hardly marked him as a good bet...

Am I certain Wilkinson will be a success? No. But don't make out his record is that much worse than those you mentioned...

57 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

3-7-12-5-12 is reasonable for us in terms of bringing someone in.  

6 out of the last 7 seasons we've not had someone in double figures for league goals, so he's statistically better than we've been as a club.

Like I said time will tell.

That's not true is it.

KVV and Devante Cole both hit double figures in the league.

And Tony Watt had 9 by December in 2021. Moult had 9 by December 2018. So we had players scoring at a far better rate than that before we chose to sell them. In 19-20 Long had 7 and would probably have got to 10 if the league hadn't been called early.

Our level is so weird that it's hard to predict how players from outside of Scotland will fare regardless of their history. If our top flight was immediately absorbed into the English leagues today based on their level, we'd probably have teams in each division. The style up here is it's own thing too, so sometimes it can undo good players (or known names at least), and others with less glamorous backgrounds can thrive.

Wilkinson looks like a number 9, which was what we needed, and he has some moments in his highlight reel that remind me of KVVs. However, I'm a bit wary of the 6'3" guy stating that he's not a target man, which I hope is because he thinks he has more to his skill set, rather than that he can't hack the physical stuff.

The recent long term injury is a concern, but he did get 20+ games last season, so maybe not as risky as Moult was.

1 minute ago, texanwellfan said:

While I’m interested in new signings. What is the position with the likes of Casey and Goss? I assume they are not in training with us? Are they basically free agents and considered not to be Motherwell players? 

Casey is apparently holding out to see if there's any offers from England and Goss is seemingly attracting interest from India according to the jungle drums.

27 minutes ago, santheman said:

Casey is apparently holding out to see if there's any offers from England and Goss is seemingly attracting interest from India according to the jungle drums.

I wonder at what point (if any) do we write them off? While I’d like to see both stay, we have to know, sooner rather  than later, if we need to replace them. 

43 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I wonder at what point (if any) do we write them off? While I’d like to see both stay, we have to know, sooner rather  than later, if we need to replace them. 

Well they're not training with us so they're not in our plans.

54 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I'm told Casey is definitely away so I'm guessing we've wrote him off. Goss, I haven't heard anything but you have to assume he's gone unless he's doing a Scott McDonald for an extra long summer holiday... 

5 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

But no official statement from the club announcing them as released or free agents? 

An update was given on 31 May. 

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2023/05/31/end-of-2022-23-squad-update/

PLAYERS OUT OF CONTRACT- NEGOTIATIONS WITH A NUMBER OF PLAYERS ARE STILL TAKING PLACE

• Jake Carroll
  • Logan Dunachie
  • Daniel Hunter
  • Kian Speirs
  • Jack Aitchison
  • Matty Connelly
  • Max Johnston
  • Ewan Wilson
  • Dan Casey
  • Dean Cornelius
  • Sean Goss
  • Mikael Mandron
  • David Devine
  • Corey O’Donnell
  • Harry Paton
  • Thanks 1

Apparently, Bohemians have put in a better offer for Casey than we did, plus other Scottish clubs have been sniffing about, but his pref seems to be a club in England, according to Scott Burns.

1 hour ago, maz said:

Apparently, Bohemians have put in a better offer for Casey than we did, plus other Scottish clubs have been sniffing about, but his pref seems to be a club in England, according to Scott Burns.

Think the better offer can be easily discounted before usual suspects tell us we’re now being priced out of moves by League of Ireland outfits - Bohemians will be wanting him to bolster them mid-season.

• David locked this topic