2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Head groundsman Paul Matthew departs after eight years.

I'm surprised we were able to hold on to him for so long, but after talking our sand pit and developing our playing surface year after year into the bowling green hybrid we have now, I'm sure he has been receiving some good offers.

51 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Head groundsman Paul Matthew departs after eight years.

I'm surprised we were able to hold on to him for so long, but after talking our sand pit and developing our playing surface year after year into the bowling green hybrid we have now, I'm sure he has been receiving some good offers.

Yeah inevitable that a bigger club would come in and poach him at some point.

Only saving grace is that with the new hybrid pitch we don't need another miracle worker like him to keep it playable.

Still a big loss though.

Edit to add his assistant Alan Carlin has been promoted so still in excellent hands.

2 hours ago, santheman said:

Yeah inevitable that a bigger club would come in and poach him at some point.

Only saving grace is that with the new hybrid pitch we don't need another miracle worker like him to keep it playable.

Still a big loss though.

Edit to add his assistant Alan Carlin has been promoted so still in excellent hands.

He is working for a foreign company as a salesman not another club. His experience is invaluable

17 minutes ago, Well Well said:

He is working for a foreign company as a salesman not another club. His experience is invaluable

That's good news that another club won't benefit particularly if it was Scottish.

Lovely big guy and I wish him well in his new job and hopefully he's still on the end of the phone should we need to ask advice about anything pitch related.

7 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Think the better offer can be easily discounted before usual suspects tell us we’re now being priced out of moves by League of Ireland outfits - Bohemians will be wanting him to bolster them mid-season.

Fair enough if true but Scott Burns is generally quite accurate with his news and it hardly screams lucrative to bolster Bohemians mid-season for the short term but again that term lucrative doesn't necessarily just mean they can offer more cash or such. 

Obviously, we can only take it at face value but another poster suggested eariler that Casey has told the club he won't be returning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maz said:

Fair enough if true but Scott Burns is generally quite accurate with his news and it hardly screams lucrative to bolster Bohemians mid-season for the short term but again that term lucrative doesn't necessarily just mean they can offer more cash or such

Obviously, we can only take it at face value but another poster suggested eariler that Casey has told the club he won't be returning.

Which reinforces my point…

Scott Burns airs what his contacts want aired giving him accuracy.

Smart money was on the Casey ship having sailed some weeks ago.

99 is such a shite squad number.*

Why not just give him 9, 12, 15, 18 etc? 

*And no, it doesn’t really matter what number players have on their backs, but it’s just a minor gripe of mine. Thought I should make that clear for the weeyins, Spiderpigs and any of the other forum pedants. :rolleyes:

Goss was very good under SK, and wasn't as bad as made out before, albeit still bad. He found form at the right time (funny that), which probably priced him out of a return to us. 

I'm not losing sleep over him not returning, partly because him and Slattery can't play together, and we still have Slattery under contract. I think we will still sign another midfielder, but we need to be looking to give Miller more minutes too.

It might not have been SK's preferred midfield line-up, but the Slattery Goss thing is a bit of a myth.

They started in 5 games for Kettlewell. We won 3 of them, drew at Celtic Park and only lost to Rangers.

I hope all our midfield combos are that bad in the upcoming season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

*And no, it doesn’t really matter what number players have on their backs, but it’s just a minor gripe of mine. Thought I should make that clear for the weeyins, Spiderpigs and any of the other forum pedants. :rolleyes:

I thought you were singing a Steps song then!! 😜😜

Only another 4 signings to go to we all start to get ready to enjoy our season, two CB’s, CM and pacy winger will do, Mandron to St Midden 😂😂, anyone who wanted him must be dreaming

5 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Only another 4 signings to go to we all start to get ready to enjoy our season, two CB’s, CM and pacy winger will do, Mandron to St Midden 😂😂, anyone who wanted him must be dreaming

I'd like to see a RB, LB, CB and midfielder but that's a massive ask. 

14 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Not if we're playing with a back three.

Agreed.

McGinley would be serviceable in a back 4 as he isnt that bad a defender. But he cant cross the ball, so would be pretty useless as a wingback.

Fine as a back up. But we need a Furlong type signing just to stand still.

5 hours ago, MJC said:

Why not just give him 9, 12, 15, 18 etc? :rolleyes:

Isn't it usually the player who chooses from the available numbers? (Outwith 1-11, which I presume the managerial staff choose.)

5 hours ago, MJC said:

Obika already chose 9.

No idea about the others.

Maybe he just wanted 9 really bad, so chose it twice? 😄

Seriously though, I wish we could just go back to 1 - 11 on matchday.

I dont see the point of squad numbers other than to fleece the weans at the shirt printers!

• Like 1

I would have liked us to have brought more players in than we have but at the same time I'm actually glad to hear kettlewell say that he needs to move some out before anymore can come in,financially we can't keep adding to the squad while the likes of mugabi,shields and maguire are here,I hope those three are amongst the players that he's looking to get rid of.

• David locked this topic