2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

I like both players by my point stems from the way in which we, imo, gave Faddy too many chances after it was clear he was finished. He looked done in 2013/14 and then he left at the end of that season, which seemed like his time had come to a natural end. He then goes to St.Johnstone, hardly features, we re-sign him again and he offers even less this time. As you say it was depressing and sad to watch him in his latter spell, but he continued to get game time.

And then this summer, some of our fans wanted us to give a similar chance to Moult even though he was with us last season and we had to cut short a loan deal because he couldn’t get fit for the first time in five years. Now why would anyone want us to do that? To use up a wage and a place in the squad for a player that we know for a fact has had horrendous injuries over the past five years and who we released from a loan deal just a few months ago? I can’t see any other reason than for sentimentality. As I said, no one is bigger than the club and there is no room for sentimental signings.

And to answer your final question, no I wouldn’t.

The more successful players are after they leave us the better it is for us.

Prospective signings can see we are a good step in their career progression and prospective buying clubs can see the value in players we are selling.

3 hours ago, MJC said:

I don't take pleasure in it, it's more that I just don't understand fans who put certain players on a higher pedestal than the club itself. Faddy and Moult being the prime examples.

They don't place them on a higher pedestal than the club itself. The players you mentioned are considered by some to be cult heroes. Every club, no matter how big or small, has them. It doesn't mean the fans hold them in higher regard than the club itself.

And like it or not, there's always going to be an element of romanticism in football. The idea of someone like Moult leaving, suffering injury woes, only to then return and lead Motherwell to success is something that a lot of fans would love to see happen. And they're always going to believe that club greats have one last run in them. 

And there's nothing wrong with that. If that makes them "misty eyed fanboys" or "trumpets" in you and a few others eyes, then I think that says more about you than them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the club should sign him. But it's the job of the board and the manager to be the sensible heads in situations like this, it's not on the fans to check their hopes and dreams at the door. 

If we all approached supporting Motherwell in the manner you seem to, we'd probably all be as dour and depressed as you seem to be. 

24 minutes ago, David said:

They don't place them on a higher pedestal than the club itself. The players you mentioned are considered by some to be cult heroes. Every club, no matter how big or small, has them. It doesn't mean the fans hold them in higher regard than the club itself.

And like it or not, there's always going to be an element of romanticism in football. The idea of someone like Moult leaving, suffering injury woes, only to then return and lead Motherwell to success is something that a lot of fans would love to see happen. And they're always going to believe that club greats have one last run in them. 

Yes every club has cult heroes and I fully agree that Faddy and Moult are two cult heroes of ours. 

But at the same time we can’t give players game time when it is clear that they aren’t cutting it anymore, for whatever reason. 

I was delighted when McFadden returned in February 2013 and then re-signed that July. But by the end of the 13/14 season he was clearly finished and that should have been the end of his playing days at our club. I was also pleased when we took the gamble and re-signed Louis Moult last August because I too wanted to believe and hoped that he would “have one last run in him”. 

However once it became clear in both players cases that it just wasn’t happening anymore then I accepted that the gamble wasn’t paying off and we needed to cut our losses and move on. That doesn’t diminish what both of them did for us when they were at their peak with us and nothing will ever take that away, but as a club we can’t afford to keep looking backward and hoping that Faddy is going to wind the clock back to when he was 19 years old with a red stripe in his hair and attracting interest from big clubs down south, or that Moult is going to go back to the player he was before he left us in 2017 and his horrendous injury luck since then. 

Sometimes some things are best left in the past.

Just now, MJC said:

But at the same time we can’t give players game time when it is clear that they aren’t cutting it anymore, for whatever reason. 

Oh, absolutely. I agree 100%, and my argument isn't that we should be giving players like Moult another runout at the club. I'm just making the point that those fans who say they think it would be amazing to see him come back and reclaim his status as our top goalscorer etc shouldn't be mocked for that. There's nothing wrong with being what I'd call a football romantic. 

God knows with the amount of oil money and cynicism in the game these days we could do with more old fashioned romanticism than ever before.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, David said:

Oh, absolutely. I agree 100%, and my argument isn't that we should be giving players like Moult another runout at the club. I'm just making the point that those fans who say they think it would be amazing to see him come back and reclaim his status as our top goalscorer etc shouldn't be mocked for that. There's nothing wrong with being what I'd call a football romantic. 

Yes and that’s all fair enough. And as I say I was one of those fans when Faddy initially rejoined for his 2nd spell and Moult came back on loan last year. But once they have come back and failed miserably to reclaim their status as top goalscorer because they couldn’t get anywhere near fit enough then I don’t see the logic in wanting us to try going down the same road again with them.

That, in my opinion, is when the ‘romantic’ ends and ‘flogging a dead horse’ begins.

Just now, wellsince75 said:

Suspect we'll hear that Shields & Efford move on before the end of the week. 

Is there any news on players coming in ? was hoping there may be 1-2 more coming our way.  A creative midfielder would be front and centre of my current shopping list. 

If anything we need a box to box with a bit of a tackle in them without Butcher we are so light in Midfield i think we will get  bossed pretty easily.

7 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

If anything we need a box to box with a bit of a tackle in them without Butcher we are so light in Midfield i think we will get  bossed pretty easily.

That’s a good point.  2 midfielders would be ideal , a reall ball winner and someone who can make a pass or 2 .

bring back wee Al and Turnbull

52 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

That’s a good point.  2 midfielders would be ideal , a reall ball winner and someone who can make a pass or 2 .

bring back wee Al and Turnbull

I'm a bit torn on midfield. We probably need another body but I don't want to only see Miller when Slattery is suspended...

• Like 1

• David locked this topic