2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Just now, pretzel said:

Having broke through into an MLS side at a young age, getting capped by his country and being sold to St Johnstone for over 100 grand you would think many have the opinion that he is a more than capable professional level footballer. While he did make 34 appearances in the league last season 28 of these were from the bench and just clicking through his soccerbase profile he was thrown on with 15, 10, and 1 minute to go regularly. I'm going to assume that's Kettlewell has signed him as a 'project' going by his statement the other week about signing someone who didn't enjoy the best of seasons (or words to that effect). I've been impressed by Kettlewell and how he has managed to move on so much deadwood, hopefully his gamble pays off.

Let's be honest, "breaking through" into an MLS side basically consisted of him being picked up on an MLS homegrown pre-contract by Vancouver, which doesn't really mean all that much. He was one of five kids signed to such a contract. It's basically the MLS equivalent of us signing one of our youth players to a professional contract.

We're not talking about Alistair Johnston here.

I don't see anywhere that says how much he cost St Johnstone, but even if they paid £100,000 for him, that probably says more about St Johnstone than anything else. Unless, of course, they were under the impression that he was "a project, only in his early 20's, adds options," and so on?

And you're right. He mostly played from the bench. But considering the position St Johnstone was in last season and the fact he was never really deemed good enough to get a start for them, that tells its own story. 

They terminated his contract for a reason. And it wasn't because he is a young project with lots of potential.

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

I agree , it's one hell of a punt.  As you say KVV, Higdon, Moult, Sutton etc had all scored more than 8 goals in their life . Had he been an 19 year old never played before in the league then fair enough. 

Not writing him off but I don't believe it makes me a troll or whatever the the phrase is to share some doubt over signings.    

There's a big difference between sharing some doubts and hurling insults at a player so you're not a troll unlike the usual suspects.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I'm not particularly enthused about this signing either, but we should also take into account that his manager was Callum Davidson.

Also for a little more perspective, Stevie May scored 2 goals in 30 appearances on season 21/22 and then scored 10 goals in all competitions last season. 

The two points I would take from that are that the performance of one season does not necessarily predict the form of the next. 10 goals is not prolific but they are goals that contributed to St Johnstones safety last year ( including a win against us).

Secondly if a proven SPL standard forward in Stevie May is struggling to score goals in that St Johnstone team then a young Canadian trying to find his way in the Scottish game may also struggle to find his form for reasons other than that he is useless.

It does not look like an inspired signing I would agree but SK's reputation as a manager capable of building a competitive squad is at stake so he clearly believes that Bair is worth signing.

On 7/31/2023 at 1:57 PM, David said:

See, the fans always say that, but do they really want that? I've mentioned a few times when we've all been discussing striking options that young Mark Ferrie has looked good in his runouts this season. 

But most fans don't want to look at him as an option. We're all waiting patiently for the club to announce another lower-level English league signing with single-digit goal return most seasons in their career.

Every mediocre signing we bring in on a six or twelve month deal is just another useless body who will see game time before someone like Ferrie does.

Well I can't speak for the fans but I can speak for myself and say that absolutely what I'd want.

Just now, Ya Bezzer! said:

Well I can't speak for the fans but I can speak for myself and say that absolutely what I'd want.

If I was someone like Mark Ferrie I'd be looking at this most recent signing and wondering what kind of confidence the club has in my abilities if they're signing the likes of Theo Bair. 

Bair will be basically another body in the way of Ferrie getting game time I'd wager. Which is pretty disappointing.

3 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Offt looking at this forward line and thinking it’s worst I might have to watch at Fir Park in many a year the Midfield will have to chip in with goals big time.

I honestly think Blair Spittal might be our top goal scorer this season  might stick a few pennies on it.

To be honest I think that's the plan.

Lennon/Spittal/Slattery all scored 2 goals in the league cup group and I think he's looking for 6, 7, 8 goals out of each of them this league term, with strikers also chipping in here and there.

12 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

To be honest I think that's the plan.

Lennon/Spittal/Slattery all scored 2 goals in the league cup group and I think he's looking for 6, 7, 8 goals out of each of them this league term, with strikers also chipping in here and there.

Agree we need to depend on more than one golden goose to get goals. We need our strikers to achieve double figures , with midfield chipping in here and there.     

Wilkinson has before and reasonable to expect him to achieve 10+.   Who ever his partner he needs to do similar. 

Just now, star sail said:

Also for a little more perspective, Stevie May scored 2 goals in 30 appearances on season 21/22 and then scored 10 goals in all competitions last season. 

Just for even more perspective, Stevie May scored 10 the season before the one you mentioned, and has hit double figures five times in his career at varying levels and for different clubs.

The most Bair has managed was four in one season, where he played 17 games in the Norwegian second tier. He's played in 92 games during his career and has scored eight goals.

Personally, I don't give a toss if Callum Davidson didn't fancy him. He got sacked for his inability to field winning teams. 

Bair's not the most inspiring of signings and he may very well bring nothing to us, but then again, he just might. He's our player now, so I hope he's a success - no sure everyone on here feels the same.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

St Johnstone fans on forum astounded . Astonished that hes got a deal. Saying he has zero football ability. Not even the basics. Cant believe he got contract with us. Thought he may go to junior leagues.

If I was them I would be more worried about getting pumped 4-0 home to Stirling Albion 

• Haha 2

Imagine you are 23 years old 3000 miles from home and you get a new job and everyone connected to the new company goes on social media to say you are shite....give guy a break for fuck sake. SK has said he needs developed and at 23 years old he sees something he can develop. Let's also be realistic how difficult would it be to shine / perform in the St Johnstone team of the last two years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Not enthused by this signing in the slightest.

However good luck to him and hope things turn out better than expected.

Can you tell us a signing we have made in the last three years that has enthused you ... 99% of the time we know fuck all about our signings because that's the market we operate in.

When we signed Casey from America he had done fuck all of note now he's the people's hero. We signed Tierney under the banner of one of the Irish Leagues best young prospects and he's rampantly average. We signed Stuart McKinstry and half our support were wetting themselves with excitement and he was bang average at best. We signed Moult and again half the fans were creaming their pants, he wasn't worth a fuck.

So the moral of all of this. Getting excited about a signing is pointless because they could turn out to be shite. Equally there is no point getting depressed as they could turn out to be decent.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jastons said:

How much would it have cost to keep KVV?

How much are Obika, Wilkinson and Blair costing? 

If we had kept him and not gave him his money spinning move . Do you think it would have been the goal scoring machine or the cant be arsed now version we would have got in his last contracted season. We have to move on.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic