2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Just now, grizzlyg said:

There is no way we could have kept KVV, our wage structure couldn't have managed it.  In the end we managed to sell him and get a good transfer fee . We move on

That's what I'm saying . Wage structure limited . But why can't it be altered to show ambition.? And no innovation or thinking outside the box. 

2 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I'd say it would be amateur hour if we spent all of our money on one player then just prayed he doesn't get injured, suspended or lose form.

I do get that too and of course it may create division in squad. Just asking for some innovation. Looks like we got more issues than just needing a forward. Hopefully mika ok.

The main problem with our business this summer is that pretty much every signing was a gamble. Before anyone jumps down my throat here, I know we tend not to sign "sure things" but last summer among other signings that were gambles we signed Paul McGinn and Blair Spittal, two players with track record at our level. 

This summer?

Obika: Gambling on his injury record.

Wilkinson: Just returning from a serious injury.

Bair: Unproven at SPL level.

Souare: See Obika.

Casey: Missed preseason. Loose cannon without Butcher alongside him. 

Biereth: Unproven and just returning from injury. 

Zdravkovski: Coming from abroad, always a gamble.

Paton: Injured again..

If we had signed a couple of players of a similar level to Spittal and McGinn without horrendous injury records, I'd be a lot more confident in the business we had done...

EDIT Oh, and the chat about Van Veen is absolute nonsense. He had no intention of staying here...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

That's what I'm saying . Wage structure limited . But why can't it be altered to show ambition.? And no innovation or thinking outside the box. 

In all honesty pal I reckon KVV would have been looking for £7k a week minimum which we simply can't afford, harsh but true

10 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

The main problem with our business this summer is that pretty much every signing was a gamble. Before anyone jumps down my throat here, I know we tend not to sign "sure things" but last summer among other signings that were gambles we signed Paul McGinn and Blair Spittal, two players with track record at our level. 

This summer?

Obika: Gambling on his injury record.

Wilkinson: Just returning from a serious injury.

Bair: Unproven at SPL level.

Souare: See Obika.

Casey: Missed preseason. Loose cannon without Butcher alongside him. 

Biereth: Unproven and just returning from injury. 

Zdravkovski: Coming from abroad, always a gamble.

Paton: Injured again..

If we had signed a couple of players of a similar level to Spittal and McGinn without horrendous injury records, I'd be a lot more confident in the business we had done...

EDIT Oh, and the chat about Van Veen is absolute nonsense. He had no intention of staying here...

The window has been a disaster so far. Every player we have signed is substandard. The Arsenal loan player is the only bright spot. 

As I said months ago we were pissing money up the wall signing Paton and Obika and it's somehow only got worse. We are still 4 or 5 players short despite bringing in so many bodies. Transfers were the big question mark against Kettlewell and he's failed it at the moment. 

For me it's too early to assess the success of the window.   

Soare looks a decent player - he may just be out with a knock.

Casey is a good player . He's one of the few players we should have resigned. 

Zdravkovski - give the lad time to settle. Suspect he'll be decent.  Another Simo would be just great. 

Wilkinson - has a reasonable goals record.  Again a bit of time needed to adjust to league but he could be ok.

Mika - he looks far too good for our level but we get the chance to nurse him through and benefit for a season. 

I wouldn't have signed Paton, Obika or Bair for a mixture of reasons but time will tell.

Suspect a couple more of our squad will move out , leaving way for a couple more signings. More premiership loanees please. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wellsince75 said:

For me it's too early to assess the success of the window.   

Soare looks a decent player - he may just be out with a knock.

Casey is a good player . He's one of the few players we should have resigned. 

Zdravkovski - give the lad time to settle. Suspect he'll be decent.  Another Simo would be just great. 

Wilkinson - has a reasonable goals record.  Again a bit of time needed to adjust to league but he could be ok.

Mika - he looks far too good for our level but we get the chance to nurse him through and benefit for a season. 

I wouldn't have signed Paton, Obika or Bair for a mixture of reasons but time will tell.

Suspect a couple more of our squad will move out , leaving way for a couple more signings. More premiership loanees please. 

Yes, I agree with your assessment.

It is far far too early to write players or manger off

12 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Good post Greg. I quite get the need to reduce squad size and thats fine, but to bring in players with questionable injury and or playing records seems to be counterproductive and contradictory. Yes, of course we can't go out and sign dead certs we all know that. 

As things stand we need to ship out another 2, possibly, 4 players. In my view, we need 2 wing backs, another midfielder and another striker. We clearly don't have a preferred back up LWB.

Has Steven Fletcher been signed by anyone yet? If so then I really think we should be looking at giving him a contract. He might be 36 years old with a big greasy transplanted man-bun but he would be a better option than the majority of our current forward players.

9 minutes ago, MJC said:

Has Steven Fletcher been signed by anyone yet? If so then I really think we should be looking at giving him a contract. He might be 36 years old with a big greasy transplanted man-bun but he would be a better option than the majority of our current forward players.

A no from me.

Early to form opinions about new players, but the alarm bells are starting to tinkle, not yet ring, for me about our strike options if Biereth has a long term injury or isn't available. The side badly lacks pace.

1 hour ago, MJC said:

For me he would be worth a punt, a proven experienced goal scorer to play alongside Bair, Wilkinson or Biereth a 6 month deal with the option to extend if he does well.

He might be looking for a lot more money than we could offer though, so that might be why he's not found a club yet.

13 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

For me he would be worth a punt, a proven experienced goal scorer to play alongside Bair, Wilkinson or Biereth a 6 month deal with the option to extend if he does well.

He might be looking for a lot more money than we could offer though, so that might be why he's not found a club yet.

He was a roaring success at Dundee Utd last season

Fletcher was interviewed the other week and said he has had a fair few offers but wants something that and I quote “gives him that buzz”.

I shall leave the rest upto your good selves to come up with the answers why he has signed.

Also I find it pretty alarming SK has signed a few players that are injured or have been out with serious long term injuries sounds a bit familiar with another former  manager that signed a few that backfired greatly.

If this forward line scores 20 plus between that shall be a good season.

• Like 1

Fletcher can wait until after the window closes for someone to throw money at him in a panic. Hopefully it's not us. I dont mind him, but I do mind how much he will cost. Also, I'm sure he looks after himself but we really need to bring in folk that have had a decent pre season and can play 90 mins from day 1.

Wing backs are key. That's where we can add some pace to the side. We are missing Butcher, but I think we're missing pace more.

Choosing an out of position mcginn over McGinley tells us everything we already knew there, he really needs to be gone.

• Like 1

From the Record:

15:04 SCOTT BURNS

Lamie could depart Steelmen

2_Celtic-FC-v-Motherwell-FC-Cinch-Scottish-Premiershipjpgbacjp.jpg
Ricki Lamie (Image: SNS Group)

Ricki Lamie could leave Motherwell before the close of the window.

The experienced defender is attracting interest from the Scottish Premiership and lower leagues in England. Motherwell manager Stuart Kettlewell is reluctant to let Lamie go but knows he is at an age where he wants to be playing regular first-team football.

The 30-year-old has found himself on the bench at Fir Park this season and that has sparked the interest from elsewhere.

Motherwell could let Lamie go if that interest is hardened up over the last two weeks of the transfer window. Lamie has been at Motherwell since 2020 and signed a new deal last summer.

Kettlewell has reshaped his squad on a shoestring this summer. He has previously admitted that he is unlikely to do any further business unless he can move other players on

30 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Maybe they are, we don’t know yet. 3 forwards he signed have all scored in our first 2 league games. So have to look at the positive along with the negatives. 

Wilkinson looks decent enough, as does the young lad from Arsenal. The other two look terrible. A 50% clip isn't bad I guess.

Wenger said it takes 6 months for a new player to get up to full speed in a team, and that's if they move from the same league. If they come from a lower division or a different country, it can take longer.

What he never said was to judge a new signing after 2 league games.

• Like 2

• David locked this topic