2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

5 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Let's hope young Spencer has the same impact as Penney and Furlong. As he's an RWB, I assume SOD is moving to LWB with Wilson/Soare as cover and McGinley will be offski. As Kettlewell said in his interview today, we can't afford to carry extra bodies anymore. 

Hopefully get McGinley off the payroll and he can make a fresh start somewhere.  I wouldn't mind SOD at left wing back but would rather we had a left sided player there

I'm frustrated with the club at the moment. SK did a brilliant job of finding a system and getting the most from decent players. Also a great job at offloading 10+ players. I don't understand why we're taking such a miserly approach.

We're in a  tough spot and the constant rhetoric doesn't fill my boots with optimism. 2 league games in and down to bare bones, reverting back to playing guys who have previously not cut it and playing others out of position. 

History could easily repeat itself for both SK and us if we're not careful.  It's plausible that come Jan we have another desperate act of bringing in a truckload of lucky bag hopefuls in the jan sales. 

We need to stack the cards in our favour and quickly. 

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

Let's hope young Spencer has the same impact as Penney and Furlong. As he's an RWB, I assume SOD is moving to LWB with Wilson/Soare as cover and McGinley will be offski. As Kettlewell said in his interview today, we can't afford to carry extra bodies anymore. 

"extra bodies "     OBIKA anyone ???????   he got a deal and hees injury prone

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

I'm frustrated with the club at the moment. SK did a brilliant job of finding a system and getting the most from decent players. Also a great job at offloading 10+ players. I don't understand why we're taking such a miserly approach.

We're in a  tough spot and the constant rhetoric doesn't fill my boots with optimism. 2 league games in and down to bare bones, reverting back to playing guys who have previously not cut it and playing others out of position. 

History could easily repeat itself for both SK and us if we're not careful.  It's plausible that come Jan we have another desperate act of bringing in a truckload of lucky bag hopefuls in the jan sales. 

We need to stack the cards in our favour and quickly. 

The Club is and has been rudderless for quite some time. Flow was a breath of fresh air over the years, and that hard work papered over the many cracks, but he eventually left before the Club tainted him or he'd had enough, and now we're here. History is/could be repeating itself and will continue to do so. We either need a relegation reboot or an ambitious and intelligent CEO to turn us inside out and start afresh.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

44 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Enjoy the struggle. 

Belter. Your inane theory of a ‘relegation reboot’ shows your struggle. Clueless.

We’ve not had a CEO demand for a few weeks right enough… a bit of a label if current custodian isn’t ambitious or intelligent. For all intents and purposes he’s already turned us inside out and starting afresh - he’s stopped the gravy train for starters.

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Belter. Your inane theory of a ‘relegation reboot’ shows your struggle. Clueless.

We’ve not had a CEO demand for a few weeks right enough… a bit of a label if current custodian isn’t ambitious or intelligent. For all intents and purposes he’s already turned us inside out and starting afresh - he’s stopped the gravy train for starters.

Just for info, who is our current acting CEO and are we still actively trying to recruit a new permanent one?

23 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Just for info, who is our current acting CEO and are we still actively trying to recruit a new permanent one?

Derek Weir is interim CEO and the Club is still trying to recruit a permanent CEO. 

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2023/08/04/a-note-from-the-chairman-ahead-of-the-2023-24-season/

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Perhaps inane and disagreeable, but not as inane as your constant cryptic patter. And Clueless is a great movie; Alicia Silverstone at her finest.  

Just now, wellfan said:

Perhaps inane and disagreeable, but not as inane as your constant cryptic patter. And Clueless is a great movie; Alicia Silverstone at her finest.  

Deflect. Deflect.

Constant? Not been cryptic for a while, probably as little to protect, but, you batter in.

Barry Norman you aren’t.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Not been cryptic for a while, probably as little to protect

Oh, the irony. 

Your general behaviour on here is to constantly attack the individual's persona (e.g., calling them clueless or inane, and judging their views) from an apparent high and mighty yet cryptic in-the-know position rather than to constructively critique the individual’s post. It's exhausting, but well done getting the bites, again. 

26 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Oh, the irony. 

Your general behaviour on here is to constantly attack the individual's persona (e.g., calling them clueless or inane, and judging their views) from an apparent high and mighty yet cryptic in-the-know position rather than to constructively critique the individual’s post. It's exhausting, but well done getting the bites, again. 

Not most interpretations of ironic, but, now you’ve got that off your chest… 

I’ll take your points in isolation - you favoured a ‘relegation reboot’, seriously? Apparent high and mighty? Either are or are not. The ITK business has been done to death too as you don’t have to scratch the surface much. Club offer plenty of information on how they work and a likely scenario relegation could bring. The ‘reboot’ shows a lack of understanding & grasp on the reality, hence, clueless quip.

As for your CEO whim - plenty recognise we’re being guided by someone who’s been of influence at the club for an amount of time. Just so happens his was not the only CV within the club suited to the role more than those the professionals were tracking. If he’s not “ambitious and intelligent” I wonder if he just bought his business acumen? Maybe if he got himself a social media presence you’d feel better?

1 minute ago, Onthefringes said:

Not most interpretations of ironic, but, now you’ve got that off your chest… 

I’ll take your points in isolation - you favoured a ‘relegation reboot’, seriously? Apparent high and mighty? Either are or are not. The ITK business has been done to death too as you don’t have to scratch the surface much. Club offer plenty of information on how they work and a likely scenario relegation could bring. The ‘reboot’ shows a lack of understanding & grasp on the reality, hence, clueless quip.

As for your CEO whim - plenty recognise we’re being guided by someone who’s been of influence at the club for an amount of time. Just so happens his was not the only CV within the club suited to the role more than those the professionals were tracking. If he’s not “ambitious and intelligent” I wonder if he just bought his business acumen? Maybe if he got himself a social media presence you’d feel better?

To be clear:

1. I do not favour a relegation reboot; that's not what I said. I implied relegation could give the Club the reboot it's seemingly required for a while now, however unwanted and damaging that may be. It would be disastrous in terms of being able to return to the Premiership and the employees, but perhaps our future economic model (all we hear is we're skint) suggests we would be no higher than the bottom of the Premiership or a consistent Championship-level team. It was an off-the-cuff remark because this is a football forum. The reset we need should arise as a consequence of having better strategic, long-term direction driven by a permanent CEO, and that's why I ended my late-night rant on the CEO issue.

2. I did not say Weir was unambitious or unintelligent; he's far from it. He's our interim CEO and is rightly tightening the purse strings this summer, yet we still need a permanent CEO with a long-term vision who is also ambitious and intelligent. Chopping and changing to plug short-term gaps and overpromoting from within may steady the ship for now, but it does no good for our long-term stability and Premiership survival, which is what we all want. 

Compared to the guy McGhee that knocked us back it's undeniable that Weir has more experience in football and has a better CV. Right now we are in safe, competent hands but obviously it needs to be sorted out for the longer term.

Burrows clearly invested a ridiculous amount of time and energy into the job but in looking for a replacement we don't necessarily need a carbon copy. We might be better off with someone who is able to focus and delegate a bit more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, wellfan said:

To be clear:

1. I do not favour a relegation reboot; that's not what I said. I implied relegation could give the Club the reboot it's seemingly required for a while now, however unwanted and damaging that may be. It would be disastrous in terms of being able to return to the Premiership and the employees, but perhaps our future economic model (all we hear is we're skint) suggests we would be no higher than the bottom of the Premiership or a consistent Championship-level team. It was an off-the-cuff remark because this is a football forum. The reset we need should arise as a consequence of having better strategic, long-term direction driven by a permanent CEO, and that's why I ended my late-night rant on the CEO issue.

2. I did not say Weir was unambitious or unintelligent; he's far from it. He's our interim CEO and is rightly tightening the purse strings this summer, yet we still need a permanent CEO with a long-term vision who is also ambitious and intelligent. Chopping and changing to plug short-term gaps and overpromoting from within may steady the ship for now, but it does no good for our long-term stability and Premiership survival, which is what we all want. 

Bravo.

Just out of curiosity- who keeps claiming ‘we’re skint’? Exhausting current budget is a world of difference from being ‘skint’…

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Compared to the guy McGhee that knocked us back it's undeniable that Weir has more experience in football and has a better CV. Right now we are in safe, competent hands but obviously it needs to be sorted out for the longer term.

Burrows clearly invested a ridiculous amount of time and energy into the job but in looking for a replacement we don't necessarily need a carbon copy. We might be better off with someone who is able to focus and delegate a bit more. 

See? Definitely not as daft as you make out. Amazes why you’re pilloried on here…

15 minutes ago, steelboy said:

This is it for me. I don't really want to know who the CEO is. I don't know who they are at any other club outside of Aberdeen for obvious reasons. I want them to do the job competently and hire the right people to support them, including a paid fan liaison. The idea of a unicorn volunteer is tinpot.

I don't need a CEO to take to social media to explain what's usually obvious or give oxygen to the crazies.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic