2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

3 minutes ago, MJC said:

Applauding the team off the park is something I can understand to be fair, especially if we’ve given everything but lost because we weren’t good enough. I don’t like it personally but I get it.

It’s the ones who seem to value certain ex players more than the club itself that rip my knitting. It’s as if they view the likes of McFadden, Moult, the majority of the ‘91 team etc as “their pals”. Each to their own of course but I just can’t understand why any supporter of the club would hold certain players, current or former, in higher regard than the club itself. And I say that as someone who loves the ‘91 team (Tom Boyd apart) and views Faddy and Moult as two of the best players ever to play with the club, certainly two of my all time favourites in our colours. 

Do you have an example of a former player coming back with another team, scoring against or beating us and getting applauded by our fans, because I'm buggered if I can think of one.

12 minutes ago, MJC said:

Applauding the team off the park is something I can understand to be fair, especially if we’ve given everything but lost because we weren’t good enough. I don’t like it personally but I get it.

It’s the ones who seem to value certain ex players more than the club itself that rip my knitting. It’s as if they view the likes of McFadden, Moult, the majority of the ‘91 team etc as “their pals”. Each to their own of course but I just can’t understand why any supporter of the club would hold certain players, current or former, in higher regard than the club itself. And I say that as someone who loves the ‘91 team (Tom Boyd apart) and views Faddy and Moult as two of the best players ever to play with the club, certainly two of my all time favourites in our colours. 

Thank God you said Tom Boyd apart...lol I'd airbrush that cunt out of every picture of the Cup winning team. A horrible horrible bastard.

20 hours ago, MJC said:

Why does applauding a player who has served the Club well suggest to you they are placing that player above the Club?  That is just out and out nonsense. it is showing respect to someone who brought them enjoyment in our colours. I have not met one fan who would put an opposition player above the interest of Motherwell FC. To suggest someone who does applaud is letting the Club down is as disrespectful to them as you say they are being to the Club

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

I've never sat next to anyone who enjoyed seeing us getting beat, but there's a few on here who seem to thrive on it.

I sat next to two tadgers in the POD against Morton a few years ago and when they scored in Extra Time to go 1-0 up they got up cheering and appaulding as the player celebrated in front of us below. Then they left, thankfully we turned that tie around but it was totally weird behavior.

41 minutes ago, pretzel said:

I sat next to two tadgers in the POD against Morton a few years ago and when they scored in Extra Time to go 1-0 up they got up cheering and appaulding as the player celebrated in front of us below. Then they left, thankfully we turned that tie around but it was totally weird behavior.

I interpret that behaviour as sarcastic criticism of our own team, if you get my meaning. 

I recall one guy at Starks Park last year shouting constantly about a glaring weakness in our defence, which was exposed time and again. Nothing was done by SH to correct it and when Raith eventually scored because of it he clapped them and shouted something like "Well done, who didn't see that coming?". Sheer frustration. 

Yes, it looks and sounds bad but folk show disappointment and frustration in different ways. 

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Thank God you said Tom Boyd apart...lol I'd airbrush that cunt out of every picture of the Cup winning team. A horrible horrible bastard.

whoop whoop am with you on that one ,,,,, nasty nasty feckin piece of dog shite (sorry dogs)

10 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Do you have an example of a former player coming back with another team, scoring against or beating us and getting applauded by our fans, because I'm buggered if I can think of one.

Yes, Iain Vigurs. Not even a club legend but instead an absolute imposter with us, scored against us for ICT and you had mugs in the East Stand clapping him. 

10 hours ago, dennyc said:

Why does applauding a player who has served the Club well suggest to you they are placing that player above the Club?  That is just out and out nonsense. it is showing respect to someone who brought them enjoyment in our colours. I have not met one fan who would put an opposition player above the interest of Motherwell FC. To suggest someone who does so is letting the Club down is as disrespectful to them as you say they are being to the Club

There is a time and a place to show respect to former players imo and it most certainly isn’t when they are playing against us. 

Back in work today and speaking to a friend who is generally a reliable source of football gossip. Apparently KVV will sign a 6 month loan deal with Rangers. Was supposedly at Murray Park yesterday for a medical. If true Im frankly amazed that he secured that deal. That said zero risk for Rangers, 6 months for what they'd need to pay him will be small change to them.

Re Former Players

DT has had little to no game time at Celtic.  I know there's been talk of us digging deep to fund KVV, if we were going to dig into the money pot I'd be much happier to get DT back on loan.

It would give us the creative midfielder we've been missing and help him get back into the shop window. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Back in work today and speaking to a friend who is generally a reliable source of football gossip. Apparently KVV will sign a 6 month loan deal with Rangers. Was supposedly at Murray Park yesterday for a medical. If true Im frankly amazed that he secured that deal. That said zero risk for Rangers, 6 months for what they'd need to pay him will be small change to them.

Suspect the rumours started with this.

Not sure if its one of those spoof accounts or not.

FB_IMG_1703669084300.jpg

8 minutes ago, santheman said:

Suspect the rumours started with this.

Not sure if its one of those spoof accounts or not.

FB_IMG_1703669084300.jpg

Ah so that's where he got the info... Mind you he's been a pretty good source before, time will tell. I'd much rather KVV went there than Dundee Utd or St Mirren where he could do us real damage 😆😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Re Former Players

DT has had little to no game time at Celtic.  I know there's been talk of us digging deep to fund KVV, if we were going to dig into the money pot I'd be much happier to get DT back on loan.

It would give us the creative midfielder we've been missing and help him get back into the shop window. 

Unlikely. Every Celtic fan I know reckons they're looking to sell him in January...

Not sure Ive ever seen or heard Motherwell fans applauding a former player for scoring a goal against us.

Ive seen it before the game has started which I think is absolutely fine as it shows respect for what they did whilst with us.

Ive also seen it when an opposition player shows an outrageous piece of skill or scores a worldy, I also have no issue with that. Sometimes you just need to doff your cap when you've seen something special (depending on who the opponent is obviously).

But this myth that Fir Park is full of "Happy Clappers" who really dont give a shit about the club is a load of absolute bollocks imho.

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Ah so that's where he got the info... Mind you he's been a pretty good source before, time will tell. I'd much rather KVV went there than Dundee Utd or St Mirren where he could do us real damage 😆😆

I’ll believe it when I see it but I too would much rather see KvV sign for Rangers than either of those two clubs or Aberdeen. 

Obviously I wouldn’t applaud him if/when he plays/scores against us but if he signs for Rangers then I hope he does well and pockets a league winners medal at the end of his loan spell.

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Vigurs being applauded at Fir Park - I don't believe it. 

Trust me, it happened.

19 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not sure Ive ever seen or heard Motherwell fans applauding a former player for scoring a goal against us.

Ive seen it before the game has started which I think is absolutely fine as it shows respect for what they did whilst with us.

Ive also seen it when an opposition player shows an outrageous piece of skill or scores a worldy, I also have no issue with that. Sometimes you just need to doff your cap when you've seen something special (depending on who the opponent is obviously).

But this myth that Fir Park is full of "Happy Clappers" who really dont give a shit about the club is a load of absolute bollocks imho.

Well said. Spot on.

Vigurs is the classic example. Took us for a ride and well rid.. But if I recall correctly his goal was a volley following a corner to the edge of the box. An amazing piece of skill. So some folk who can appreciate such skill did applaud. Does not mean the goal did not hurt them or that they betrayed the Club. I didn't applaud by the way, but I did go "Wow!"

7 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Well said. Spot on.

Vigurs is the classic example. Took us for a ride and well rid.. But if I recall correctly his goal was a volley following a corner to the edge of the box. An amazing piece of skill. So some folk who can appreciate such skill did applaud. Does not mean the goal did not hurt them or that they betrayed the Club. I didn't applaud by the way, but I did go "Wow!"

Me too.

Remember thinking why couldn't he do that for us.

4 hours ago, santheman said:

Me too.

Remember thinking why couldn't he do that for us.

Shit like that just happens.

Probably because the supporters of the ex player gives it to them so tight on the day, they are desperate to ram it down their throats.

Kallum Higgingbottom is another good example.

Doesnt make it right or wrong. Just a thing.

• David locked this topic