2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

6 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Maguire would have been handy to bring on yesterday when we needed fresh legs to close the game out.

He isnt the answer long term. But when you have a threadbare squad that requires employing your most productive midfielder at RWB, I dont think we can be sniffy.

Exactly. 

When I see people saying Maguire isn't the level we want from someone coming off the bench to help us see out games, I wonder exactly what kind of player those people think is willing to come to Motherwell to play that role.

Not every squad member can be or has to be, an up-and-coming player pushing for the first team. 

If I was Kettlewell I'd sit down with the player and make it clear to him what his role at the club will be. A bench player who starts games when we're short of first-choice midfielders, but mainly someone who can come on with 20 minutes or so to go and help us see out a game. 

If he's happy with that role, I'd keep him around unless he's on first 11 wages. Again, we need guys like that. He's of the standard that a player fulfilling that role at a club like ours should be.

Also, if the worst happens and we end up going down he's already got a Championship winners medal in his pocket, so he'll come in handy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, David said:

Exactly. 

When I see people saying Maguire isn't the level we want from someone coming off the bench to help us see out games, I wonder exactly what kind of player those people think is willing to come to Motherwell to play that role.

Not every squad member can be or has to be, an up-and-coming player pushing for the first team. 

If I was Kettlewell I'd sit down with the player and make it clear to him what his role at the club will be. A bench player who starts games when we're short of first-choice midfielders, but mainly someone who can come on with 20 minutes or so to go and help us see out a game. 

If he's happy with that role, I'd keep him around unless he's on first 11 wages. Again, we need guys like that. He's of the standard that a player fulfilling that role at a club like ours should be.

Also, if the worst happens and we end up going down he's already got a Championship winners medal in his pocket, so he'll come in handy.

Nope not for me. Has been given so many chances to prove his worth and has failed miserably to take any of them hence being out on loan. Sooner he is off the wage bill the better. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, David said:

Exactly. 

Does anyone know if he's injured or not, because it looks like he's hardly kicked a ball in 2 months. Unless we pay him off he'll be here until his contract ends because he can't go elsewhere now, but if he's not available for selection, his return solves nothing.

Ah our old friend the ‘undisclosed fee’… :rolleyes:

That aside best of luck to Wilkinson. It clearly didn’t work out here and was one of many poor pieces of business in the summer but we move on. 

22 minutes ago, pretzel said:

Wilkinson to Colchester confirmed. And for an undisclosed fee. 

A good bit of business for us. I don't know if Wilkinson upset SK with his recent comments or whether he wasn't the kind of player we thought he was. Maybe a bit of both. A half decent penalty box striker who didn't fit our style. What type of player did we think we were getting? 

A bit more cash for this month's war chest. 

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A good bit of business for us. I don't know if Wilkinson upset SK with his recent comments or whether he wasn't the kind of player we thought he was. Maybe a bit of both. A half decent penalty box striker who didn't fit our style. What type of player did we think we were getting? 

A bit more cash for this month's war chest. 

Now that sums up the issue with aspects of our recruitment, if he didn't fit our style why did we buy him?

Agree with you, that is what he is.

39 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Frees up a wage and the fee will be invested wisely 🙄

Any money pays up the players contract. Unlikely to be profit made. The winning part is opening up space in an already light squad

28 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

Now that sums up the issue with aspects of our recruitment, if he didn't fit our style why did we buy him?

Agree with you, that is what he is.

buy him ????????     i dont think we did, we picked him up in WILKOS bargain bucket before they closed down

1 hour ago, pretzel said:

Wilkinson to Colchester confirmed. And for an undisclosed fee. 

More deadwood pruned we are doing well getting rid of the dross, Colchester,  3rd bottom of league 2 and heading for the national league, he's probably found his level.

20 minutes ago, smiddy said:

thank feck i got 1 right :):)    £50k   allegadlly ;)

Wow.. I never thought we would get away with paying them as little as that.

• Haha 1

Think with Souare, Wilkinson and Spencer departing hopefully we are trying to bring in a right-sided defender, another midfield option and a forward. I think Stephen O'Donnell has played very well on the right side of centre defence, Butcher now back from injury and eventually Casey - so we have plenty options there. Also, wonder if Shaw's loan deal will be cut short..?

3 hours ago, Well Well said:

Nope not for me. Has been given so many chances to prove his worth and has failed miserably to take any of them hence being out on loan. Sooner he is off the wage bill the better. 

He is not going to be off the wage bill until the summer though.

Should be just tell him not to bother coming in?

32 minutes ago, mothman said:

Think with Souare, Wilkinson and Spencer departing hopefully we are trying to bring in a right-sided defender, another midfield option and a forward. I think Stephen O'Donnell has played very well on the right side of centre defence, Butcher now back from injury and eventually Casey - so we have plenty options there. Also, wonder if Shaw's loan deal will be cut short..?

I'd ideally like one or two more than those you list......if we have the financial means. A LWB and maybe a central defender too. Hopefully the foward would be a wide forward/winger. As I say, it's a wish list and maybe pie in the sky. We are very thin on the ground though. SK mentioned bringing in a couple over and above anyone leaving and 3 have so far. 

• David locked this topic