2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

3 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

So when you look at a player and think he's pish, you accept the guys ok cos the manager thinks so. Football is littered with ex managers who thought they knew what a good player looks like.

If I accept you view I'll need to reassess my view of Bob Malcolm , John Henry, Joe McLeod , John Davies, Derek Townsley etc ... They must all have been good cos the manager and coaches picked them and played them and they all knew best cos they'd spent a lifetime in the game.. I don't need to be a window cleaner to know a windows clean and I don't need to be a football manager to know a players pish.

To be honest, the majority of our players really are pish.

Its not that long ago we had a team so pish we finished 11th & had to go through our playoff glory. How many of our current team would get in that team? Even the happiest clapper wouldnt put many in surely.

That team, as bad as it was had mcmanus, pearson, ainsworth, Johnson, Las, Skippy & Sutton

Just now, grizzlyg said:

I ain't a Slattery fan but genuinely hope he hasn't a serious injury. Wouldn't wish that on anyone 

Hopefully it's just a rumour, but it would seem a strange one if there's no truth to it.

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I ain't a Slattery fan but genuinely hope he hasn't a serious injury. Wouldn't wish that on anyone 

I agree with what you said pal.

Slattery is hot and cold when he’s hot he’s very good. I think something is bothering him outside the game. 

5 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

it would mean the manager has another first choice player he can neither play nor move on, so I don't see any positives.

Indeed. If it's true that Slattery is injured for a while, our fit midfield options are then Spittal, Paton, Zdravkovski and Maguire. Not ideal..

Hopefully SK will have been looking for a better midfielder to replace Slattery anyway as he'll be away at the end of the season.

I don't quite get all the opinions on Callum Slattery. I do get though that he's underperforming and his form fluctuates. Of late, he's been unimpressive after a good start to the current capaign. What I don't get is these accustions of falling over (folk really mean diving) very easily. He's a physical player and takes more than his fair share of punishment. Thats not to say though that he's never "fallen over". To take one example, in the St H Johnstone game about a month ago, he clashed with Daniel Phillips I think (?), with the latter craftily hacking him in the back of the ankle. He fell down, not surprisingly, but one or two around me accused him of deceit and diving. He "wins" (an expression I hate) a lot of fouls simply because he does get fouled a lot. I get though that he's not in the John O'Hare category.   

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't quite get all the opinions on Callum Slattery. I do get though that he's underperforming and his form fluctuates. Of late, he's been unimpressive after a good start to the current capaign. What I don't get is these accustions of falling over (folk really mean diving) very easily. He's a physical player and takes more than his fair share of punishment. Thats not to say though that he's never "fallen over". To take one example, in the St H Johnstone game about a month ago, he clashed with Daniel Phillips I think (?), with the latter craftily hacking him in the back of the ankle. He fell down, not surprisingly, but one or two around me accused him of deceit and diving. He "wins" (an expression I hate) a lot of fouls simply because he does get fouled a lot. I get though that he's not in the John O'Hare category.   

The problem I have with Slattery is his habit of 'initiating contact'. He was clean through in the recent game against St Mirren but seemed more intent on making sure he was brought down than getting a shot away. Later on, he shrugged off a couple of their players who were trying to foul him and went on a run. He's got that ability in him but appears content to take the lazy option too often.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

The problem I have with Slattery is his habit of 'initiating contact'. He was clean through in the recent game against St Mirren but seemed more intent on making sure he was brought down than getting a shot away. Later on, he shrugged off a couple of their players who were trying to foul him and went on a run. He's got that ability in him but appears content to take the lazy option too often.

Agree he can be very frustrating to watch at times and then he surprises us with some magic.

19 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

So when you look at a player and think he's pish, you accept the guys ok cos the manager thinks so. Football is littered with ex managers who thought they knew what a good player looks like.

If I accept you view I'll need to reassess my view of Bob Malcolm , John Henry, Joe McLeod , John Davies, Derek Townsley etc ... They must all have been good cos the manager and coaches picked them and played them and they all knew best cos they'd spent a lifetime in the game.. I don't need to be a window cleaner to know a windows clean and I don't need to be a football manager to know a players pish.

But would you know how to use a chamois correctly to avoid getting windows all streaky?

2 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

But would you know how to use a chamois correctly to avoid getting windows all streaky?

No. I've never managed it yet in over 40 years of washing cars. There's always a first time though. 

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Don't think he's been accused of diving. He has a habit of putting himself between the ball and the opponent and then flopping to the ground when contact is made. He won loads of free kicks this way last season. The issue now seems to be that this season referees have spotted this and have tended to wave play on.

• Like 1

yes as he done against smellic last year  won the ball in our 6 yarder, got infront of there player   fuckin fell thinking he was getting a free kick they took the ball and scored,  the ref basically told him to get up of his arse.  frustrating ???????    naw   VERY FUCKIN FRUSTRATING,  as someone elses phrase on here goes  he makes ma piss boil,, saying that we will probs miss him and the raith rovers midfield will run all over us in the play offs

4 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

I like Otoo at Dunfermline as a replacement for Maguire perhaps come the summer.

Oh yes, know who you mean, what's his name? Begins with a C.

• David locked this topic