2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

17 minutes ago, mio said:

I think If anything James Scott has regressed since leaving us. I really liked him at fir park, thought he had loads of potential but it seems to have went t1ts up for him. 
reading that Exeter fans had taken a big dislike to him and booed him on when he come on as sub the other week. Not seen that since the days of Andy Roddie. 
we may well be a dodged bullet 

I wasn't that convinced with h him when we had him first time round but he was young so potential to develop , which I don't think he did. Was utter shite at Hibs. Quite delighted if St Mirren outbid us on this one. Watched the Hearts Dundee game last night. Curtis main was the pitch 28 mins and looked guff ,another bullet dodged .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

St Mirren do seem to have some cash to throw about just now. 

They have seen a big improvement in their home crowds. They now average 6500.  So at an Average of £18 they will take in >£300,000 more than us a season so will have bigger spending power than us and if they use it for guys like James Scott that will do for me 😁

24 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

They have seen a big improvement in their home crowds. They now average 6500.  So at an Average of £18 they will take in >£300,000 more than us a season so will have bigger spending power than us and if they use it for guys like James Scott that will do for me 😁

I'm positive in the last year or so they offered great value family season tickets similar to what we do for the first time plus they gave out tons of free season tickets to Schools in the Renfrewshire Council Area. 

28 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Are they not dishing out kids season tickets on the cheap? Their ground never looks that full. 

Scott joining up Robinson and Lasley isn't really a surprise. 

15 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

We got £1.2 million for Scott a few years back which was great business.  

That has to be right up there in terms of the best bit of business the club has ever done to get that money for scott.i know he got a bad injury when he was at hull but his career has pretty much stalled or he's similar to the likes of hastie and Irwin,where they kinda burst on the scene but couldn't take there game to another level where there not a youngster anymore.its no surprise he's going to st mirren to work with a manager thats got the best out of him so far,im glad we didnt end up with him though as he wouldn't have solved any of our issues.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

That's Oli Shaw returned to Barnsley. 

Another failure from Kettlewell and Daws. And another January window trying to rectify atrocious recruitment from the previous summer. We can’t keep going through this cycle every single year.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MJC said:

Another failure from Kettlewell and Daws. And another January window trying to rectify atrocious recruitment from the previous summer. We can’t keep going through this cycle every single year.

Completely agree, the last window was a failure and this one is underwhelming so far.

Scott would be a good addition as someone who can carry the ball akin to how Watt used to and get us up the park.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MJC said:

Once Daws gets binned that will be rectified hopefully - all for giving Kettlewell another year (much to varied opinion of course) but he should get the chance to bring his own man in the summer! Heard Daws is on too much money to release and Alexander has obviously realised he's hopeless otherwise he would have followed him to MK Dons or Bradford.

6 minutes ago, Wellfan91 said:

Once Daws gets binned that will be rectified hopefully - all for giving Kettlewell another year (much to varied opinion of course) but he should get the chance to bring his own man in the summer! Heard Daws is on too much money to release and Alexander has obviously realised he's hopeless otherwise he would have followed him to MK Dons or Bradford.

I personally think Kettlewell should be given another year if we stay up which hopefully we will. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wellfan91 said:

Is the point of a head of recruitment not to offer continuity in that area regardless of who the manager is? As such, do we really want the manager being the one responsible for hiring the HoR?

19 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Is the point of a head of recruitment not to offer continuity in that area regardless of who the manager is? As such, do we really want the manager being the one responsible for hiring the HoR?

We are getting continuity from Daws - a continuity of 💩

Clean slate required in the summer given he's out of contract, SK to stay on for a year and bring in who he wants (with the oversight of the board) as HOR

53 minutes ago, Wellfan91 said:

We are getting continuity from Daws - a continuity of 💩

Clean slate required in the summer given he's out of contract, SK to stay on for a year and bring in who he wants (with the oversight of the board) as HOR

Why would the manager appoint the head of recruitment? That should be the board/ceo's job with some input from the manager at best.

33 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Why would the manager appoint the head of recruitment? That should be the board/ceo's job with some input from the manager at best.

That's what I meant when I said oversight from the board - I'd expect them to draw up a list and then SK and the board pick who is best.

3 minutes ago, Wellfan91 said:

That's what I meant when I said oversight from the board - I'd expect them to draw up a list and then SK and the board pick who is best.

Or they pick half a dozen or so experts from in here to do it for free and save a bundle. At least that way we can be sure of only getting top class players. 

surely no emoji required to accompany my statement? 😀

1 minute ago, texanwellfan said:

Or they pick half a dozen or so experts from in here to do it for free and save a bundle. At least that way we can be sure of only getting top class players. 

I can think of 3 right away.

23 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Totally, they're all for sacking a guy they couldn't pick out in a line up, no idea of the constraints or job requirements or kettleWells opinion of him, which is surely the most important 

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Completely agree, the last window was a failure and this one is underwhelming so far.

Scott would be a good addition as someone who can carry the ball akin to how Watt used to and get us up the park.

Taking Scott's name (as someone we already know) out of the equation, if it had been announced that the club was signing a player who had netted 12 goals since the start of the 2019 season, do you think the forum would have got excited and shouted 'Brilliant News, well done Kettlewell and Daws !'

3 hours ago, MJC said:

Another failure from Kettlewell and Daws.

Kettlewell and Daws weren't the only ones who were behind the idea of us signing Shaw. Go back and read the responses when he signed. He was considered a "decent signing" who would kick on if given playing time.

Funnily enough, there's no sign of you claiming he would be a disaster and that Kettlewell and Daws had got it wrong. You only jumped in and made that claim with 20/20 hindsight.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Taking Scott's name (as someone we already know) out of the equation, if it had been announced that the club was signing a player who had netted 12 goals since the start of the 2019 season, do you think the forum would have got excited and shouted 'Brilliant News, well done Kettlewell and Daws !'

4 more than what Bair had to be fair!

I do get your point, but given he's one of our own and we've all seen him and know he was a decent player for this level I think most would have been okay with Scott. More forgiving than they will be when the next Conor Wilkinson is signed before the end of the window.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Kettlewell and Daws weren't the only ones who were behind the idea of us signing Shaw. Go back and read the responses when he signed. He was considered a "decent signing" who would kick on if given playing time.

Funnily enough, there's no sign of you claiming he would be a disaster and that Kettlewell and Daws had got it wrong. You only jumped in and made that claim with 20/20 hindsight.

That’s true and yes it is much easier to say he’s been a failure after six months of him being here rather than when he signed. Every signing we make is a gamble, I know that and I accept it.

But regardless of what I or anyone else thought before he had kicked a ball for us the fact in the matter is that this is another signing made during the summer that didn’t work out. The manager and the head of scouting are the ones paid to take responsibility for signings and are in a better position than anyone in the support or this forum to judge a player, or so you would hope anyway.

• David locked this topic