2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

13 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

That's a bastard for Montgomery and us.  I hope we're able to cancel the deal. Sounds harsh, but we're carrying enough of our own injured players without taking on someone else's and we need any available cash for bodies on the park.

• Like 1

Not sure if we can cancel the deal, because that would put him out for the season since he's played for us and Fleetwood. I know 3 months is effectively the season, but there would still be games left.

1 minute ago, fizoxy said:

Not sure if we can cancel the deal, because that would put him out for the season since he's played for us and Fleetwood. I know 3 months is effectively the season, but there would still be games left.

Very unfortunate for Montgomery but having played for 2 clubs is irrelevant, he was never getting into the Celtic team anyway and with his injury he's not going to be fit till May at the earliest so his season is done.

He's a Celtic player so get him back to them to look after and off our wage bill we've enough injured players of our own to deal with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

We've got Gent, Halliday and Nicholson that can operate on the left side of the team in various full back/wing back combos. O'Donnell can play there at a push too.

So while it would be a blow, it's not as bad as if we ended the window with one striker.

On a related note, I heard the other day that hamstring injuries in the EPL are up around 47% this season. There is a theory that VAR is responsible to some degree. Partly, because players are having to stop for a few minutes multiple times per game and stand around without warming up again, and partly because games are being extended to 100+ minutes putting extra strain on tired muscles and ligaments.

I hadn't even thought of that but it's a reasonable theory 

Now a full 8 days since Arsenal recalled Mika and still no news on a forward coming in. Very very concerning particularly given when you consider Wilkinson was already away, we knew Obika was injury prone, and we must have known we were allowing Shaw to head back to his parent club i.e we should have already been identifying targets.

Shocked we haven’t brought someone in before tomorrow’s trip to Perth given the importance of playing a team that will be one of our main rivals to avoid relegation. I was convinced we would bring someone yesterday or today. Big gamble to not have done.

I sincerely hope Kettlewell has a couple of rabbits up his sleeve before the window closes. 

We need to stop signing players who have a history of long term injuries before they come to the club.

Moult was the perfect example of how to use club funds so wasteful and now Obika is another who had a history of muscle and hamstring Injuries and I swear to feck if Kettlewell gives Obika an extension then we are throwing money away.

1 hour ago, couttsy said:

Shocked we haven’t brought someone in before tomorrow’s trip to Perth given the importance of playing a team that will be one of our main rivals to avoid relegation. I was convinced we would bring someone yesterday or today. Big gamble to not have done.

I sincerely hope Kettlewell has a couple of rabbits up his sleeve before the window closes. 

I tend to agree Couttsy, although I'd rather wait a day or two longer to get the right man, rather than make a panic signing. Even if Biereth had stayed with us, Wilkinson and Shaw were leaving and Obika was out injured and is injury prone. It was always cutting it very very tight. A situation largely of our own making. 

2 hours ago, couttsy said:

Now a full 8 days since Arsenal recalled Mika and still no news on a forward coming in. Very very concerning particularly given when you consider Wilkinson was already away, we knew Obika was injury prone, and we must have known we were allowing Shaw to head back to his parent club i.e we should have already been identifying targets.

Shaw is injured so wouldn't have been featuring any time soon anyway. 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I tend to agree Couttsy, although I'd rather wait a day or two longer to get the right man, rather than make a panic signing. Even if Biereth had stayed with us, Wilkinson and Shaw were leaving and Obika was out injured and is injury prone. It was always cutting it very very tight. A situation largely of our own making. 

Neither Wilkinson or Shaw performed for Motherwell. Shaw in particular. I personally don't see that as being a situation of our own making if a striker isn't scoring goals. They were signed to to a job and they haven't lived up to potential. Plus it seems clear Wilkinson wanted to return back to England. 

1 hour ago, wellgirl said:

Neither Wilkinson or Shaw performed for Motherwell. Shaw in particular. I personally don't see that as being a situation of our own making if a striker isn't scoring goals. They were signed to to a job and they haven't lived up to potential. Plus it seems clear Wilkinson wanted to return back to England. 

Some truth in that of course, but both were recruited in the summer, albeit Shaw was a panic move. Our summer window was poor as far as strikers go. 

5 hours ago, couttsy said:

You seriously think we've not been trying ??

Big gamble makes it sound like they've all been sitting about going "Should we sign a striker for saturday or do you think it can wait til Monday ??"

Seriously, get a grip 🙄

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, AllyMax said:

You seriously think we've not been trying ??

Big gamble makes it sound like they've all been sitting about going "Should we sign a striker for saturday or do you think it can wait til Monday ??"

Seriously, get a grip 🙄

I think I’ve got firm grip, thanks. 🙂 

I might be over simplifying, but I suspect we’re speaking to agents/clubs of 4/5, maybe more strikers to try and get deals done, and I, like everyone else expects we’ll bring 1 or 2 in before the window closes next week. My point was I hope we don’t regret not pushing a little hard or paying a little more to get one of those over the line prior to today.

I also get that not all of the circumstances are within our control but if having 1 fit recognised striker (who’s quality is questionable), prior to playing one of your main relegation rivals away from home isn’t the time to make sure you push a deal over the line, then I think you’re taking a gamble. 

1 hour ago, couttsy said:

also get that not all of the circumstances are within our control but if having 1 fit recognised striker (who’s quality is questionable), prior to playing one of your main relegation rivals away from home isn’t the time to make sure you push a deal over the line, then I think you’re taking a gamble. 

So what is it you’ve a firm grip on?

This making sure you push a deal over the line has no circumstances?

It’s not great, most recognise that. Market conditions dictate otherwise.

• David locked this topic