2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

5 minutes ago, wellfan said:

His record with the U21 squad was pretty good before stepping up to the first team.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jack-vale/profil/spieler/496660

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 19.49.20.jpg

Which would suggest that he couldn’t cut it at first team level, or that’s what it looks like on paper anyway.

Its uninspiring and to be honest I would have kept Wilkinson rather than sign this player but it is what it is and he’ll get my support.

• Haha 1

Just now, MJC said:

Its uninspiring and to be honest I would have kept Wilkinson rather than sign this player but it is what it is and he’ll get my support.

Agreed, it's not the best signing on paper but things just work out for players at certain clubs, let's really hope this is one of those scenarios.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MJC said:

I could be wrong, but didn't Wilkinson want away? It's not quite the case that we moved him on entirely of our own choice, is it?

8 minutes ago, MJC said:

Which would suggest that he couldn’t cut it at first team level, or that’s what it looks like on paper anyway.

The young player has the tools but also has everything to prove during this loan spell, which should hopefully benefit us. I'm trying to be positive about our situation for once. 

1 minute ago, Well-Made said:

Welcome to the Club Jack.

Like others not to impressed with his goal return but you know if he only scores one goal and that keeps us up, he'll have god like status forever.

The English Championship is the 6th richest league in the world, because he couldn't cut it in that doesn't mean a lot in our league 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If we don't sign a decent striker in the next 24 hours I think we will be relegated. 

Could you clarify, are you speaking as a Motherwell, St Johnstone, Ross County or Livingston fan?

19 minutes ago, MJC said:

Jack Vale confirmed. A forward, which we need but his goal scoring record is unimpressive, to say the very least.

It's worth bearing in mind that if his goalscoring record was impressive, we'd be nowhere near him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I need attention post 

I'm serious. We've kept 2 clean sheets in the past 24 games. Our defence is rank rotten and we don't seem to be adding anyone. 

Our striking options are Bair and Vale both of whom are poor players. As things stand our form is unlikely to change and thus squad won't win a playoff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I'm serious. We've kept 2 clean sheets in the past 24 games. Our defence is rank rotten and we don't seem to be adding anyone. 

Our striking options are Bair and Vale both of whom are poor players. As things stand our form is unlikely to change and thus squad won't win a playoff. 

You mean our form that is the 7th best in the league over the last 6 games.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/scottish-premiership/form-guide

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Every club in the country is looking for a decent striker. We cannot offer the deals that get proven goal scorers. We will always be taking a chance on someone.

Given that we freed up the wages of three strikers you would think we could afford someone a bit better.

We were never bringing in anyone with a decent track record,it's a gamble and let's hope it's one that pays off for us.hes going to get the winner on saturday from a georgie gent cross,you heard it here first 😀.

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

Bair's scoring more goals that anyone at our relegation rivals - he's no good.

We sign someone who doesn't have a great goalscoring record - he's no good.

Our current form is better than the teams below us, funnily enough, but if we did end up in a play-off, who would we face?

I don't know what expectations some of our fans have. 

We've signed a promising youngster who's making his way in the game and some think we're doomed before we've even seen him. 

He might be a decent footballer who offers the team more than just his scoring stats.  Equally he's young and may well be what we need.  I don't remember Scott McDonald having amazing stats before we signed him. 

It's a tough window, always is.  We got shot of players not cutting it, we've brought in the type of prospect we wanted. 

Looks pretty reasonable bit of business all things considered 

If you look closely at his stats, Vale only started five games for Lincoln and scored two goals. On at least three of his eleven sub league appearance, Lincoln City were down to ten men when he came on, or a minute after..

Do these stats mean he's any good? No, but it's context. More context than a simple 'he scored two in seventeen appearances for Lincoln, he must be shit'. 

As with most of our signings, we won't know til we see him play...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, steelboy said:

So how do you know Vale is a poor player when you haven't even seen him play.

• David locked this topic