2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Just now, Yoshi-1991 said:

Full transfer window gone, 3 strikers out, 0 in. How is this in any way acceptable? 

Hopefully they have signed someone (anyone now, even if they have just grabbed someone off the street) and they are just setting up the photos...........i doubt it but lets hope 🤣

2 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

Full transfer window gone, 3 strikers out, 0 in. How is this in any way acceptable? 

We got 1 in.

Jack Vale.

13 minutes ago, Bart Verheul said:

Apparently gazumped us at the last moment according to a poster on pie and bovril

From a rumour I heard our interest in him was rebuffed a day or two ago. Not really gazumped at the last minute. 

I know we've obviously tried to sign another striker, but the club has let strikers go before replacements were in the door. This is very poor. We needed options up front for these next two crucial home games. To think of all the special players we have had up front in the past to be going into the remaining games with a project player, an untried player and a player who is always injured is shocking. Scunnered to say the least. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orinoco said:

I know we've obviously tried to sign another striker, but the club has let strikers go before replacements were in the door. This is very poor. We needed options up front for these next two crucial home games. To think of all the special players we have had up front in the past to be going into the remaining games with a project player, an untried player and a player who is always injured is shocking. Scunnered to say the least. 

I'll wait and see the players we have got perform before I decide if I'm scunnered 

3 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

How is Bair a project player. Shaw is also injured 

Folk will try to dress this window up in many different ways, but I don't see how it can be described as anything other than a predictable failure. 

I've had it with Kettlewell and Daws. And the Board. We're going nowhere forward with any of them at the helm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wellfan said:

Folk will try to dress this window up in many different ways, but I don't see how it can be described as anything other than a predictable failure. 

I've had it with Kettlewell and Daws. And the Board. We're going nowhere forward with any of them at the helm.

I think you are right but I also think the writing has been on the wall for a while as to which direction we were heading. Burrows going was a sign of things to come. 

To have ended january with the striking options we have is shocking,I never thought for a second when kettlewell said that he would be hanging his hat on bair when he signed would come true but here we are.

2 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Aye Kettlwell can't be given another window.

Even Hammell was better at bringing in players than him. The guy has shit for brains and if the Obileye thing is true then he's beyond the pale.

11 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

I have some sympathy with this.

However, Mika was recalled and Shaw injured so not much we could do about those.

Wilkinson is the one we had a choice on, but I think at the time of his move he was so far out of the picture that you can understand why he wanted away and we didnt want to stand in his way.

I guess it would have been prudent to have someone else lined up / signed before we let him go, but I guess the club werent expecting Biereth to be recalled or Shaw to get injured almost immediately.

The one big criticism that the manager/club cant avoid is the signing of Obika. I like the big guy but he is no use to us if he is never fit and even if he was now, I dont see him and Bair playing together.

Hopefully there is one still in the pipeline or we can pick up a free. To bolster what we have.

1 minute ago, robsterwood said:

Very poor indeed. Van Veen deal was possible. Now we short up front.

For me we dodged a bullet with KVV, he's been shit at Groningen since he left in the summer, got his deal on past glories which he is very unlikely to repeat, but fair play to him for cashing in.

This window has highlighted just how skint we are, we get the players we can afford, ie those on realistic wages or favorable loan deals, plus is coming to play in the Shire an attractive option for some.

My main concern is that in 5 months time we will go through this whole nonsense again with another rebuild , we need stability and time to build a team, but only time will tell if we learn from previous mistakes and for me I don't think the current structure/ governance etc at the club is up to the challenge.

• Like 1

As others have said, deeply concerning for the window to have closed leaving us with Bair, Vale and Obika as our only striking options.

I get things have conspired somewhat against us with Biereth being recalled, and Killie blowing us out the water for KVV, however the decision not to push the boat out and get a deal done for someone better than what we have may come back to bite us come May time. Sincerely hope I’m wrong. 

• David locked this topic