2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

7 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Ps. Obika was due back tomorrow but I have just heard he has a paper cut and has now been ruled out 🙂🙂

Presumably he suffered that injury whilst signing his extension clause for next season....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

This. The KVV thing is on the other clubs, not us. We had a value and stuck to it, and that was the right thing to do.

Very noble but it might have been a good idea to actually sign a striker because principles aren't going to get us any more goals than Ollie Shaw. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I think the signings made look good.  If we had got another striker in it would have been good.   It's the lack of firepower that I think is the main issue for most folk.

With Lennon back and hopefully Casey soon then squad looking a bit stronger.

Ps. Obika was due back tomorrow but I have just heard he has a paper cut and has now been ruled out 🙂🙂

Absolute lightweight... A paper cut and here's me sitting with two black eyes and a broken nose 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wellfan said:

I've had a season ticket for most of the past 28 seasons. Does that entitle me to moan about what I perceive as failings in how our Club is run and managed? I also hold my hands up when wrong, eventually. My life isn't sad, and I enjoy my job because I am good at it, but I also like to be critical of the team I've followed since I was 10. Live and let live. 

Of course it does.

You may be critical of the team and certainly have been of this manager.

But at least you engage and back up your criticisms.

I may not agree with you. But at least I can debate with you.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Of course it does.

You may be critical of the team and certainly have been of this manager.

But at least you engage and back up your criticisms.

I may not agree with you. But at least I can debate with you.

And that is what it is all about ...healthy debate 

• Like 1

First post here, made account ages ago but have been a long time lurker..

Found out last night that we allegedly offered Groningen £5k p/w to take KVV. Killie blew us out the water with £9k p/w. Taking it with a pinch of salt as I can't even imagine Shankland is on that much. Figures make sense though as it was rumoured KVV quadrupled his wages from approx £2.5k p/w with us.

If we have that much spare cash lying around I'd be at least doubling Spittal's wages.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

First post here, made account ages ago but have been a long time lurker..

Found out last night that we allegedly offered Groningen £5k p/w to take KVV. Killie blew us out the water with £9k p/w. Taking it with a pinch of salt as I can't even imagine Shankland is on that much. Figures make sense though as it was rumoured KVV quadrupled his wages from approx £2.5k p/w with us.

If we have that much spare cash lying around I'd be at least doubling Spittal's wages.

No way KVV is worth that kind of money in that fat shape. He hit a purple patch with us when he could do no wrong then flopped in his time in Holland. Think we got the best of him last season. We can spend that kind of money on a better permanent signing no just a six month loaner.

6 minutes ago, stv said:

No way KVV is worth that kind of money in that fat shape. He hit a purple patch with us when he could do no wrong then flopped in his time in Holland. Think we got the best of him last season. We can spend that kind of money on a better permanent signing no just a six month loaner.

Could be worth it from Killie's POV though. Ensuring Saint Mirren cannae get him and therefore possibly increasing their chance of getting 4th. Bear in mind they don't need the KVV of last season, the huffy 9 goal striker that Alexander signed would be more than enough to help them.

Not worth that kind of money for us though.

• Like 1

Just to burst our bubble after last night but I heard we are getting Ollie Shaw back today. Apparently a renewal of his loan was agreed just before the deadline but he was doing his injury recovery at Barnsley. 0

13 minutes ago, real dosser said:

Just to burst our bubble after last night but I heard we are getting Ollie Shaw back today. Apparently a renewal of his loan was agreed just before the deadline but he was doing his injury recovery at Barnsley. 0

Sounds a bit strange given the agreement was terminated, but I suppose, given we only brought in Vale, he could be the panic buy back-up striker for a second window. 

At this stage it's clear that Bair is the first choice (and rightfully so), with Vale pushing for that position as well. Having Shaw back as an extra body? I wouldn't be against it. He'd be the third choice for sure unless he proved us wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

He's on about £10k per week at Groningen. Killie, or more likely Bill Bowie are paying about £6k of that weekly  plus add ons. That's what I've heard anyway. 

Information in the Netherlands very different on weekly salary. Chief Executive of NEC discussed freely when meeting some of the recent travelling party.

10 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Information in the Netherlands very different on weekly salary. Chief Executive of NEC discussed freely when meeting some of the recent travelling party.

Here's all the info you need

https://salarysport.com/football/eredivisie/fc-groningen/

For comparison here's the Motherwell list

https://salarysport.com/football/scottish-premiership/motherwell/

17 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Sorry was it not cryptic enough for you, it’s freely available on a Web search so it's probably shite but then again most things are online.

Ooh, get you.

You’ve answered why I said Er, no…

52 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If Shaw comes back then it gives us back up. Bair and Vale ahead of him.  Obika is one injury away from another injury so makes sense to have another striker in 

It also means that if Obika can stay fit (a huge if), then we're well served in that area. Plus, Kettlewell's plan at the start of the season of getting goals from midfield is working just fine. 9 goals from Spittal, 3 from Slattery, 2 from Miller and 1 from Paton.

Slattery is gone, but we've now got Halliday and Nicholson, plus Davor is getting a run in the team. Add in the fact that the likes of Mugabi are always good for a goal or three, and we're okay in that area, I think.

Most teams that run into proper relegation problems are the sides that find it difficult to score goals. 

With that said, the statistics show that we've scored double the number of goals that Livingston and St Johnstone have, and scored more goals than Aberdeen, Ross County, Hibs, Dundee, St Mirren, and Killie.

On goals conceded, it's a different matter, but as I said, you generally find that the teams who run into relegation issues are the ones who can't score. 

52 minutes ago, David said:

On goals conceded, it's a different matter, but as I said, you generally find that the teams who run into relegation issues are the ones who can't score. 

And yet it's basically the same team, both back line and midfield that we had last season with a pretty good defensive record.

Just shows you how much things like a bit of bad luck, confidence and the ball bouncing a certain way can influence a season.

We only conceded 5 in 7 before THAT Celtic match and the confidence of the team took a massive dive and that's when the flood gates opened.

27 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

And yet it's basically the same team, both back line and midfield that we had last season with a pretty good defensive record.

True but you have to factor Butcher being injured and the loss of the pace of Furlong and Johnston. 

Butcher was very much the talker and organiser of the back three. Unfortunately he's had to focus a bit on his own form as he had been out for so long. 

Furlong and, in particular, Johnston allowed us to defend a wee bit higher up the park due to both their recovery pace when we lost possession and the fact that teams were more wary of their pace going forward. Souare and O'Donnell don't bring the same pace.

Things have improved since Butcher found his feet a bit and since Gent became a starter and I don't think it's a coincidence...

• Like 1

• David locked this topic