Motherwell v Ross County 20/05/2023

SteelmaninOZ

County usually play pretty well at Fir Park and are more than capable of giving us a bloody nose if we are not right on it.

Cant afford another first half like Saturday.

Need to hope the team are focussed on 7th place, the prize money that comes with it, their win bonus and getting KVV over the line.

The difficulty of the post-split games are very context dependent.

After the weekend's results, County are definitely looking at an escape route now. If Killie win their home game against St Johnstone, however, County really need to beat us to have a realistic chance of overhauling them to safety.

So it has the makings of a tough game.

On the positive side, County are second bottom for a reason. We have a decent record against them and I doubt Jordan White is going to cause as many problems for McGinn/Butcher/Casey as he did for the wobbly Dundee Utd defence. In fact, I'd say he is an ideal match-up for our back 3.

I imagine they will be looking to keep things tight and hit us on the break rather than come out all guns blazing, but if we can get the same kind of start as we did against Killie that should force their hand and make a more open game. And I fancy our chances in an open game.

3 - 0 for us, with 2 late goals.

Would like us to go gung ho in the first 10/15mins and get an early goal but suspect we will go safety first and feel our way into the game.

Fully expect County to start with a defensive formation and play White up as a lone striker and try to hit us on the break.

Would like to see County stay up as its one of the better away days but not at the expense of a possible 7th place and more goals for KVV

Wanting to see KVV just end the season scoring a ton of goals in these last 3 games. Makes you wonder how he would have done under the right manager for the whole season. Would love to see him stay and play for us next season but if not we best be getting a good chunk of money for him. 

30 minutes ago, santheman said:

Would like to see County stay up as its one of the better away days but not at the expense of a possible 7th place and more goals for KVV

I like to think we'll be very even handed and beat all five teams. The bottom 4 can sort out the relegation issues between themselves.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

The difficulty of the post-split games are very context dependent.

After the weekend's results, County are definitely looking at an escape route now. If Killie win their home game against St Johnstone, however, County really need to beat us to have a realistic chance of overhauling them to safety.

So it has the makings of a tough game.

On the positive side, County are second bottom for a reason. We have a decent record against them and I doubt Jordan White is going to cause as many problems for McGinn/Butcher/Casey as he did for the wobbly Dundee Utd defence. In fact, I'd say he is an ideal match-up for our back 3.

I imagine they will be looking to keep things tight and hit us on the break rather than come out all guns blazing, but if we can get the same kind of start as we did against Killie that should force their hand and make a more open game. And I fancy our chances in an open game.

3 - 0 for us, with 2 late goals.

Dont see Casey and Butcher having any problems handling him. Should be a good match up......

I have thoroughly enjoyed the recent form, hopefully, we don't go into holiday mode and it continues on Saturday. Another pasting for the Staggies like Dingwall earlier in the season would do nicely. 

This could be a very tricky fixture. The team with very little to play for versus the team fighting for their survival in the league. It will require a very professional approach and a desire to win the fight which County will undoubtedly bring in order to take the win. So far, the manager appears to be aware of this and is making all the right noises. If the team he puts out has the same attitude and application on Saturday then we are more than capable of getting a result. Anything less and we could struggle. I hope for the win, but think this looks like a draw, 1 each.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The African said:

This could be a very tricky fixture. The team with very little to play for versus the team fighting for their survival in the league. It will require a very professional approach and a desire to win the fight which County will undoubtedly bring in order to take the win. So far, the manager appears to be aware of this and is making all the right noises. If the team he puts out has the same attitude and application on Saturday then we are more than capable of getting a result. Anything less and we could struggle. I hope for the win, but think this looks like a draw, 1 each.

Fair assessment mate 

I’m hoping they are all fired up to get KVV scoring as many goals as possible. Added to that the higher we finish the more money the club gets. So definitely needs to be stressed to the players that it’s not a nothing game. I think they be more fired up for the first reason but just as long as they are fired up. Likewise if we do manage to get ahead by a couple of goals we should keep striving to score more 

31 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Out of interest is Slattery available for today’s game as he encountered his 12th booking of the season against Killie which should give him a ban, nothing mentioned in SK’s press conference as it is usually 2 weeks after the 12th booking when the ban takes effect?

Goss has had 9 bookings in the league and I don't recall him missing a match. 

William Collum on VAR today, very little will go under his nose prepare for long waits and an Injury time amount Alex Ferguson would be pwoud of.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Out of interest is Slattery available for today’s game as he encountered his 12th booking of the season against Killie which should give him a ban, nothing mentioned in SK’s press conference as it is usually 2 weeks after the 12th booking when the ban takes effect?

If unavailable, and Cornelius still has not recovered, maybe Paton will start. 

11 minutes ago, pretzel said:

Goss has had 9 bookings in the league and I don't recall him missing a match. 

William Collum on VAR today, very little will go under his nose prepare for long waits and an Injury time amount Alex Ferguson would be pwoud of.

There is/was a rule that if you hadn’t reached the suspension threshold by the mid season point you get to go again, so you could have 5 bookings in each half of the season.

Slattery of course takes it to extremes, but if he is, say, one booking short of a suspension he will see the season out, he started this season with a two match suspension, could happen again.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

There is/was a rule that if you hadn’t reached the suspension threshold by the mid season point you get to go again, so you could have 5 bookings in each half of the season.

Slattery of course takes it to extremes, but if he is, say, one booking short of a suspension he will see the season out, he started this season with a two match suspension, could happen again.

Slattery suspended right enough