Cup game St Mirren v Motherwell 19/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Miller isn't going to start every game. If you want our youngsters to develop then their game time needs to be managed, even if they are fully fit.

Plus, of course, none of us know any details about who is injured and who isn't.

SK knows Robinson's side is going to try and muscle us off the park, so we need a some size in the midfield, at least for the first 45 mins or so.

I guess SK's unbeaten away record isn't sufficient to avoid criticism before this match even kicks off.

4 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Why's that?

Because we’re not coming back from that and even if we did we’d only go on to concede again or lose on penalties. The only way we would have won today was if we had scored first and held on.

Motherwell just do not win these type of games in Cup competitions.

Just now, FirParkCornerExile said:

Why when we take big crowds do we always fuck up. Early days in the game but St Mirren are a hard nut to crack down there.

Just one of those utterly infuriating Motherwell FC traditions I’m afraid. 

3 minutes ago, MJC said:

Because we’re not coming back from that and even if we did we’d only go on to concede again or lose on penalties. The only way we would have won today was if we had scored first and held on.

Like we didn't win the QotS game last month, you mean?

1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Well we have done but we do tend to lose these types more than we win them.

I know but the wins are very, very few and far between. Since the 2017/18 season we have only managed to beat a top flight side in a Cup competition on two occasions. Our record is utterly woeful.

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

Like we didn't win the QotS game last month, you mean?

I refer you to my above comment. We manage to do okay in run of the mill ties against lower league sides, usually, but put us against a top flight team in the Cup and it usually ends badly.

Just now, StirlingDosser said:

St Mirren must have some sort of record for knocking us out cups...

They have some record in recent times. I remember us beating them at Love St when Clarkson and a young Darren Smith scored in ET. Then later in the season we were pumped 3-0 but perhaps worth forgetting that as they were in the league below at the time as well. A Jim Gannon team also lost 3-0 to them, a week earlier we drew 3-3 in a league tie as well. Then we have had that 4-4 draw then lost on pens and not to mention Billy Mehmet knocking us out in a replay.

It's not going great atm as we have had one shot in the 35 minutes. 

6 minutes ago, StirlingDosser said:

St Mirren must have some sort of record for knocking us out cups...

September 2005 was the last time we beat them in a Cup tie. 2-0 AET at Love Street in the League Cup. Before that we beat them 2-1 in Paisley in 2001.

6 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

It's not even half time yet, plenty time left.. relax 

I know what you’re saying mate but I’ve seen this movie far too many times before to know that this isn’t going to end well for us.

Bookmark this and quote me in a couple of hours time if I’m proved wrong - We are out.

30 minutes ago, MJC said:

hope that statement bite your arse,     you may well be correct,, but ffs man try not to be TOO negative

4 minutes ago, MJC said:

I know what you’re saying mate but I’ve seen this movie far too many times before to know that this isn’t going to end well for us.

Bookmark this and quote me in a couple of hours time if I’m proved wrong - We are out.

Dont worry, if we win you will getting a reply asap 🤣🤣, COYW

• Like 1