Cup game St Mirren v Motherwell 19/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

4 minutes ago, ppower said:

Struggle to get goals. That might be the biggest understatement of all time. No money. No CEO. Rudderless club. Only saved from relegation by one players goals. It is going to be a long hard season. 

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with anything you have said there and I too think it will be a long hard season. But going as far back to administration 20 years ago now all we have heard from the club is “we are skint, we have no money”. Even when we had Dempster as CEO and were regularly qualifying for Europe after high league finishes that’s all you got out of the club! The same was the case when Burrows was at the helm. Just constant poverty pleading. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MJC said:

Same old, same old with us in Cup ties. All we ever get is let down.

For those saying “I’d rather lose in the league cup than in the league”, the League Cup is one of only two competitions that we have a realistic albeit outside chance of winning. So for us to continually perform so badly in cup competitions is absolutely pathetic and something that should be a great source of concern to the club. 

That’s a very important point because the further you go in the cup competitions the more income is generated both for progressing and from potential TV revenues. Another missed opportunity.

6 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

St Mirren had a big crowd too, we don't have the divine right to win a game.

I feel like we could have went for it a bit earlier, as we weren't making chances, and I think they only had to make one save, so that's disappointing. Especially since we have been good for at least a goal in every game recently.

What's the size of the St Mirren crowd got to do with the point ... The point was  historically, every time we get a big support turning out, we invariably fail to deliver.

• Like 1

Just now, wunderwell said:

Absolutely, I pointed this out - on the ins and outs thread re Souare - when someone said "he will do" - I pointed out gambling everything on him is completely wrong.

I have no real issue on gambling on a quality player with a patchy injury record if it means we get a player of a quality we wouldn't otherwise be able to. But you can maybe afford to do that with one signing and have more durable if slightly lower quality backup. But (and we should have learned this last season with Moult and Aarons) you can't have too many risks in the one squad.. Souare's backup is a guy who hasn't played in a year so he didn't feel confident starting him. I'm not saying that they'll all miss loads of games but it is a huge gamble...

It's a disappointing result of course but it's only 3rd defeat in 21 games.  Kettlewell is going to make mistakes of course as do all managers.

Hopefully forum doesn't become a meltdown session. We are well fans, it's always going to be a rollercoaster as Ronan Keating once "attempted" to sing

COYW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

It's a disappointing result of course but it's only 3rd defeat in 21 games.  Kettlewell is going to make mistakes of course as do all managers.

Hopefully forum doesn't become a meltdown session. We are well fans, it's always going to be a rollercoaster as Ronan Keating once "attempted" to sing

COYW

Yes but as always the disappointing result happens in a Cup tie. 

21 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

What pisses me off is we have 1400 fans there and again for the hundredth time at least in my time supporting them they let a big crowd down. If we'd gor a result we have got a carry over in attendance for the Kilmarnock game. As it is it will be the same bloody 4000 diehards. We never carry momentum as soon as it looks like building we serve up shite like today.

We have better teams and better runs and we still only attract around  4000 diehards...football in general doesn't have the pull it did and is overpriced

Doesn't change the fact it's a disappointment today

6 minutes ago, MJC said:

Yes but as always the disappointing result happens in a Cup tie. 

Agreed record in cups not been great past few seasons but comes with the territory. If we wanted to follow a team where trophies were guaranteed then where is the fun in that,  positive vibes pal

4 minutes ago, MJC said:

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with anything you have said there and I too think it will be a long hard season. But going as far back to administration 20 years ago now all we have heard from the club is “we are skint, we have no money”. Even when we had Dempster as CEO and were regularly qualifying for Europe after high league finishes that’s all you got out of the club! The same was the case when Burrows was at the helm. Just constant poverty pleading. 

Hoary old chestnut I know, but fan ownership for a club with a small hard core support of around 4,000 is at the heart of the “we’re skint” mantra. It was commendably idealistic and laudable but more a reaction (inevitable?) to our administration. I think as time has moved on it’s  become increasingly clear that we simply don’t have a large enough fanbase to support our ownership model.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, El Grew said:

That’s a very important point because the further you go in the cup competitions the more income is generated both for progressing and from potential TV revenues. Another missed opportunity.

Absolutely and that ties in with my point about how we as a club are always pleading poverty. Cup ties are crucial to clubs like us, yet we underperform and fail in them time and time again. I’ll say it again, since the season we reached both Cup finals we have won only TWO Cup ties out of the many we have played against fellow top flight sides. Fucking TWO!!! And only one of the losses in that time was against one of the Old Firm. 

So for a club that is forever banging on about lack of funds, small budgets etc. this repeated failure to win Cup ties which thus costs us revenue and finance cannot be anything other than a big concern. You would think anyway…

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Agreed record in cups not been great past few seasons but comes with the territory. If we wanted to follow a team where trophies were guaranteed then where is the fun in that,  positive vibes pal

I know what you mean but I’m not even asking us to be winning trophies. Just for us to not lose just about every single Cup tie that we play against top flight sides. Granted, we have been unfortunate in that we have been repeatedly been paired with premiership sides particularly in the league cup but our record in these ties is simply not good enough. 

1 minute ago, MJC said:

So for a club that is forever banging on about lack of funds, small budgets etc. this repeated failure to win Cup ties which thus costs us revenue and finance cannot be anything other than a big concern. You would think anyway…

Numerous players and managers were involved in the games you're talking about, so what do you suggest we do to rectify that?

Just now, bobbybingo said:

Numerous players and managers were involved in the games you're talking about, so what do you suggest we do to rectify that?

Exactly and that is the most worrying thing about it. To me that suggests a mentality issue at the club that runs deeper than whoever is in the dugout and on the field. 

1 minute ago, MJC said:

Exactly and that is the most worrying thing about it. To me that suggests a mentality issue at the club that runs deeper than whoever is in the dugout and on the field. 

Then who are you blaming - who at the club is affecting the winning mentality of successive players and managers in cup competitions?

Motherwell have won 3 domestic cups in 130 odd years. We may have been particularly shit in the last few years, but we are a club with a long established tradition of losing in knockout competitions at some point, and reasonably early most years.

3 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Has Biereth picked up an injury today ? 

Somebody telling me Ketts is fuming about the tackle ....

When Dunne came on I said it was a certainty Robinson sent him in to half Mika if he did anything dangerous. 

Robinson is a snide prick but most of our fans loved him for it so it will be ironic if he has put our only decent attacker out for a while. 

31 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I have no real issue on gambling on a quality player with a patchy injury record if it means we get a player of a quality we wouldn't otherwise be able to. But you can maybe afford to do that with one signing and have more durable if slightly lower quality backup. But (and we should have learned this last season with Moult and Aarons) you can't have too many risks in the one squad.. Souare's backup is a guy who hasn't played in a year so he didn't feel confident starting him. I'm not saying that they'll all miss loads of games but it is a huge gamble...

That's my point though Soare is the back up guy. Furlong is the nailed on starter.

To add McGinley (as Kettlewell has done very well, is moved on)

First loss in 13 and the sky is falling. We lost a tricky tie, which is shite, but I don't think we need to lose our collective shit about it.  We are going to lose a bunch of games this year, and we're also going to win our fair share. Might even have some draws as well.

2 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

First loss in 13 and the sky is falling. We lost a tricky tie, which is shite, but I don't think we need to lose our collective shit about it.  We are going to lose a bunch of games this year, and we're also going to win our fair share. Might even have some draws as well.

We aren't creating any chances. Over the 3 games so far our attacking play has been woeful. 

• Like 1