Rangers v Motherwell 24/09/2023

SteelmaninOZ

15 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Your Bair rants are also starting to look a little bit personal like others who used to post on here slating every midfielder like ohara.spittall etc that kept cornelius out team as he was a local boy. Fact was and is they were better than him same as Bair is better than Ferrie.

I find it strange that you consider quite a reasonable viewpoint backed up by facts to be a "rant." 

At no point have I said anything disparaging about the guy on a personal level, so you're talking rubbish on that front. In fact, I've gone to great lengths to point out that he seems like a hardworking player who tries his best. I don't think anything I've said can be viewed as a rant. 

The very definition of a rant is to speak, write, or shout in a loud, uncontrolled, or angry way, often saying confused or silly things. I don't think that applies here.

I just don't rate him. And when the discussion centers around him, I'm going to voice my opinion. I know that doesn't sit well with some people, and that's fine. But I'm not going to stop discussing our team because some forum members don't like my opinion.

20 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

You suggest Wilkinson and Shaw now on what they have done in past and suggested ferrie previously for god knows what reason however in life the people who always look to the past are generally not as successful as those who prioritise the future.

I suggested Ferrie purely in terms of the whole "project" discussion. I personally find the idea of a 24-year-old who's been in the game across three countries to be a "project" a bit of a farce. If we want a "project," then we need to focus on players who still have potential to be realised, and who are young enough to grow into being good players.

And as for your views on judging players on their past, guess what? That's what virtually every single manager at every single club on the planet does. You may not like it, but when a player gets to the age Bair is? The trajectory of their career is somewhat guided by their past. Math isn't my strong point, but that's what? One goal every 11 games or something? Works out at about three goals per season. Which seems about right, doesn't it? At best? That's not good enough, in my opinion. Maybe you think differently.

29 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Bair imo is doing OK as part of our 3421 formation and I like others hope he makes you eat your words.

Yeah, and I know that the more I voice my discontent that someone of his ability is leading the line for Motherwell, the more people like you will dig in your heels and refuse to be critical of him. That's how it works, and that's fine.

I'm just looking forward to us getting a striker fit and on the park who knows how to actually score goals. Because the truth is, we've seen teams relegated before who have done "okay" and looked decent but just couldn't score. 

On 9/26/2023 at 9:14 PM, gaz7 said:

Your Bair rants are also starting to look a little bit personal like others who used to post on here slating every midfielder like ohara.spittall etc that kept cornelius out team as he was a local boy. Fact was and is they were better than him same as Bair is better than Ferrie.

I’ll give you revisionism…

On 9/26/2023 at 9:14 PM, gaz7 said:

You suggest Wilkinson and Shaw now on what they have done in past and suggested ferrie previously for god knows what reason however in life the people who always look to the past are generally not as successful as those who prioritise the future.

and raise you contradiction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2023 at 8:30 AM, wellfan said:

We played really well, but are utterly toothless up front in terms of strikers, final ball, and set pieces, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Unfortunately, the evidence is there to convince me we’ll likely see this type of performance and result play out several times this season. For me, it boils down to this - SK can't legislate for what happened to Biereth, but replacing KVV with the likes of Obika, Wilkinson, Bair, and Shaw is clearly a mistake. 

Rinse and repeat. 

50 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Rinse and repeat. 

Yip just having a quick read through the posts from last Sunday and it’s the same old story. “We played well, very unlucky to lose, deserved better but we just can’t score”.

We’re going to have to get used to this script until January I’m afraid because unless Bair starts banging them in out of nowhere or Obika and Biereth can come back fit and contribute goals then there will be plenty more good team performances with nothing to show for it. And rightly or wrongly the support will lose patience with that pretty quickly.

Just now, wellfan said:

We will rightly lose patience because good performances don't win football matches. We need goals. 

I agree and we can’t afford to simply brush off poor results with “ach it was a great performance, if only…” every week. 

Someone on the match thread yesterday made a comparison between Celtic’s winner yesterday and the goal Harry Kane scored for England against Scotland to equalise straight after the two Griffiths free kicks and for me there was more than just the type of goal it was that was similar. This brings me back to the “we love a gallant defeat/hard luck story” point. We as a club are bad for this but it’s a very Scottish thing as well, to butter up failure and seek glory in failure. That Scotland v England 2-2 game in 2017 is held up and celebrated by some as something to be proud of, that time Scotland ‘nearly beat England’ and it’s pathetic. It achieved nothing in the long run and only threw away two qualification points in the process, only speeding up Scotlands inevitable failure to qualify for that World Cup. 

It’s the wrong attitude to have.