Motherwell v Celtic 30/09/2023

SteelmaninOZ

I genuinely believe this is the best we've been for a few years. Takes me back to our purple patch under Robinson when players were working hard and playing good footy. 

The watch out for me is burnout, particularly in midfield.  Davor is the only midfielder we have from the 1st team not playing. Longer term we'll need more depth, appreciate Butcher may return but not sure he'd cover the ground that our current midfield are.   We'll need 1 -2 extras in Jan who can fit in nicely. 

Overall accept being gutted to lose with a team I'm proud to be associated with v's some of the dross of last couple of years.  We're moving in the right direction. 

12 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Three gallant defeats in a row seems to be pleasing the happy clappers on this forum. 

Gallant defeats by only one goal against either of the Old Firm has always given an element of our support a hard on, particularly on here. We’re brave underdogs punching way….I won’t bother completing that sentence.

We were unfortunate to lose at Ibrox last Sunday and even more unfortunate to lose yesterday. We played as well as we could have done against the top side in the country and it was a major kick in the balls to lose especially in the manner we did. That said though a defeat is a defeat and there is no glory in failure and the harsh reality is that it’s three losses on the bounce and we need to rectify that asap, starting at Livingston next Saturday. Otherwise losing becomes a habit that’s hard to snap out of as we found out only too well towards the end of Hammell’s tenure.

Just now, MJC said:

Gallant defeats by only one goal against either of the Old Firm has always given an element of our support a hard on, particularly on here. We’re brave underdogs punching way….I won’t bother completing that sentence.

We were unfortunate to lose at Ibrox last Sunday and even more unfortunate to lose yesterday. We played as well as we could have done against the top side in the country and it was a major kick in the balls to lose especially in the manner we did. That said though a defeat is a defeat and there is no glory in failure and the harsh reality is that it’s three losses on the bounce and we need to rectify that asap, starting at Livingston next Saturday. Otherwise losing becomes a habit that’s hard to snap out of as we found out only too well towards the end of Hammell’s tenure.

I'm more optimistic going into the Livingston game on the back of those 3 defeats than I would've been on the back of 3 defeats under Hammell. I think we're all aware what the problem is going to be in the upcoming games, but the team's playing well enough otherwise to warrant optimism.

I don't know what element of the support on here you think get a hard on when losing gallantly to those two, but it's certainly not anyone old enough to remember beating them at least once every season, no matter how shit we were. Having said that, the gap has become a gulf over the last few decades - doesn't mean we can't win these games, but it's obviously made it far less likely. At least we've actually had a go this week.

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

The watch out for me is burnout, particularly in midfield.  Davor is the only midfielder we have from the 1st team not playing. Longer term we'll need more depth, appreciate Butcher may return but not sure he'd cover the ground that our current midfield are.   We'll need 1 -2 extras in Jan who can fit in nicely.

100%. I think it was Melvin Bragg commented a few weeks ago that we were thin on the ground in midfield. When Butcher returns and is matchfit, I would hope he'll slot back into central defence. We have missed his aggression and organisational ability there.  Given budget constraints it may need to be one midfielder. That said we may revert to playing 2 strikers when that department is fit and fully functioning. . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wellfan said:

We've lost three league games on the bounce. Which part of that was good?

In the long run, zero points is zero points and that can't go on. But I think most people can accept there is, in general, a difference between performances and results.

If anyone's pleased about us losing, it's not the happy clappers.

• Like 2

I certainly don't take any joy in losing any game of football but I take heart from the performances especially against the old firm.  I think if SOD hadn't been booked then he wouldn't have been substituted.  I am not a fan of Soaure and would rather see us play Gent there or SOD as I would love to see Spencer on his natural side     our midfield 4 are excellent just now but with only Davor we have not a lot of cover if injuries or suspensions kick in.   It's up front where the real concerns are. Big Bair is putting in a shift but his job is to score goals, Shaw needs a run to see if he is an improvement and also we have Wilkinson coming back so I wonder how he would do in a lone striker role 

5 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Continuing to play a solo dud striker will prolong this spell of good performances. 

OK then given we can't bring anyone else in till January, and we have a long injury list of unavailable players, who do you suggest SK plays up front? Or which part of the "we currently have no better players available" are you having trouble with.

35 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Your forward line-up would be?

That's Kettlewell’s mess to figure out. Even if we didn't have a long injury list, we’d still be relying on known duds and crocks and pinning our hopes on a young loanee. My point is that this isn't a short-term problem to be solved, as we’re visibly hopeless in the striker department until we can do more business in the next window(s). 

37 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

OK then given we can't bring anyone else in till January, and we have a long injury list of unavailable players, who do you suggest SK plays up front? Or which part of the "we currently have no better players available" are you having trouble with.

Suggesting we have no better players available than Bair is madness. Mugabi would probably be a better option as striker. 

• Like 1

Just watched the highlights and I think some of the criticism for the goals is misplaced.

The first we are far too slow getting out to the cross and Casey even looks like he's going to clear it, is obviously worried abut sclaffing it into his own net so leaves it which leaves Kelly flat footed. The ball bounces right at his feet making it impossible to get as he can't commit until it's too late. I seem to remember us losing similar goals to the OF at Fir Park on more than one occasion.... 

For the second the the ball switches from our left to right and then then comes into the box quickly leaving us no time to shift over and Paton lets Riley run off him at the back post. It's too good a delivery for Kelly to come for IMO and Souare has his man outside him. 

On a positive, our goal was another great bit of interplay which seems to have been lost in all of the disappointment. Edified to add - plus Bain made several good saves. 

A real sore one.  

• Like 2

I thought that I'd let the emotion of the day subside before giving my verdict on the match.

Firstly, I think that a draw would have been a fair reflection of the game. For all Celtic's possession, they created very few chances in the game. Indeed, I'd say that Motherwell created the better clear cut chances.

In my opinion, with the exception of the dying minutes of the game, Motherwell defended very well. We have a solid back line that doesn't look likely to ship many goals over the season. One bad goalkeeping error and a lack of concentration in the 97th minute has undone a lot of good work.

The first half performance was about containment and staying in the game. The second half was a bit more adventurous with some nice passages of play and some periods of sustained pressure by Motherwell. Unfortunately, the midfield did tire. Not surprising given the ground that they are having to cover.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that Celtic looked fitter. I don't think that is the case. My view of that is that Celtic are sharper, quicker of thought and so get to loose balls ahead of the Motherwell players. Celtic Lso have the lions share of possession, which inevitably drains their opponents energy as they are constantly being shifted around the pitch. This takes its toll, over the 90 minutes. 

I felt that Slattery should have been replaced 5 or 10 minutes sooner than he was. He was running on empty and this was leaving considerable gaps in front of our backline. That is no criticism of Slattery who I thought had an excellent game.

Celtic's first goal was a disaster. Lack of communication maybe, but Kelly should have got that. I'll need to see the highlights to see exactly what went on there, but live at the game it looked like one of those moments of indecision that results in a howler.

At that point i thought it was all over. However, Motherwell rallied and a nice bit of interplay led to a tidy equaliser for. A goal that was well deserved at that point.

It was a bit of a sickener that we then switched off in the final 90 seconds to concede so easily at the back post once again. This is an area of our defending that needs to be addressed.

Conclusion, another valiant effort that shows that this team has something. The addition of a goal threat will make this team one to be reckoned with in this league.

We'll be alright this season.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wellfan said:

That's Kettlewell’s mess to figure out. Even if we didn't have a long injury list, we’d still be relying on known duds and crocks and pinning our hopes on a young loanee. My point is that this isn't a short-term problem to be solved, as we’re visibly hopeless in the striker department until we can do more business in the next window(s). 

Yeah, it's his job to pick the team and he is currently going with Bair because he fits his system. If you don't want to offer an opinion on what a better option would be right now because you know we don't have better options right now, you might as well pick a cloud to shout at.

• Haha 1

Gutted to have lost the game yesterday particularly the manner of it . 
Switched off in the final attack of the game and it’s cost us a point .

However looking at the place we’re at with this team I think we might be on to something albeit early days .

Organisationally we are much better and play as a unit .

Its decent on the eye and defence and midfield are decent .

Up front we need to improve but I’ll judge that when we’ve got injured strikers back .

Kettlewell has to be congratulated for his work with the players  as  after St Johnstone and Raith Rovers games last season we were absolutely atrocious as a team with no spirit and not playing as a team with any confidence .

So yeah disappointing to loose 3 on the bounce but the difference is night and day since he’s taken over 

9 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

Gutted to have lost the game yesterday particularly the manner of it . 
Switched off in the final attack of the game and it’s cost us a point .

However looking at the place we’re at with this team I think we might be on to something albeit early days .

Organisationally we are much better and play as a unit .

Its decent on the eye and defence and midfield are decent .

Up front we need to improve but I’ll judge that when we’ve got injured strikers back .

Kettlewell has to be congratulated for his work with the players  as  after St Johnstone and Raith Rovers games last season we were absolutely atrocious as a team with no spirit and not playing as a team with any confidence .

So yeah disappointing to loose 3 on the bounce but the difference is night and day since he’s taken over 

Nailed. A confidence and ability to play patiently, everyone knows & understands their role. Some contrast on recent seasons.

Could be argued the manager needed a tough spell like this to see how he gets us through adversity. He’ll learn even more about his squad. 

• Like 1