Motherwell v Ross County 28/10/2023

SteelmaninOZ

The hand ball issue was fully highlighted after Scotland beat Israel at Hampden when Israel scored after the ball clearly hit an Israeli arm and then fell to a colleague who netted There was no intent to handle the ball and the handler did not score. So, crazy that the Law is, it was a perfectly valid goal. Given after a VAR check. If the handler had deliberately pushed the ball to his colleague using his hand then the goal would not have been awarded.

Yesterday was the exact same. The ball only hit the arm after a ricochet and was not deliberate. The ball then fell to a team mate and eventually a different County player scored. Whether accidental or not, if the handler had scored then the goal would have been ruled out. Also under current rules, if the ball breaks off your body and strikes your arm then it should not regarded as a foul, unless you score directly. The whole thing is a shambles and needs simplified. In trying to do that IFAB only confused matters further.

On Friday Spurs conceded a goal. given after VAR spent 5 minutes trying to establish whether the goal scorer had touched the ball with his arm, accidental or not did not come into it. VAR could not confirm one way or another whether the player had armed the ball and so went with the on field decision of a goal. Had VAR been convinced of a hand ball the goal would have been denied. VAR later confirmed that was the discussion.

Where confusion arises is that a (very) few referees apply common sense depending upon the outcome and so award a foul. I guess they just go by whether a team gained an advantage rather than a specific individual. 

Understandably fans, me included, react to a hand ball, looking to the positioning of the arm because that is always spoken about,. Sadly, for me, VAR and the referee got the decision correct yesterday. What surprised me was that our Manager clearly did not know the current interpretation. He did appear to accept the explanation the referee gave him though.

Now whether our wonderful referees and VAR officials will consistently apply that Law is by no means certain. Particularly if Celtic and Rodgers would be disadvantaged.  

The players are shit, but our clueless manager sticks with the same duds, invisible forwards can't manage a shot on target, 3 must win games in a week and we'll lose them all.

Aberdeen fans sounding awfy familiar. Let's see if their team at least has the guts or desire to scrape a draw out of this 

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

And when Rangers hammer Hearts later, they drop below us. Sorted.

How’s that going so far then? Hearts 1-0 up and by the sounds of it turning in an excellent performance. As things stand they too will go above us today.

2 hours ago, Big Stall said:

Assume you are not watching just how bad Aberdeen are here....

Yes I did watch them, and they were bad. But I've watched us all season and we've been getting worse by the week. We certainly arent better than Aberdeen and I don't see us getting anything off them on Wednesday.

6 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

How's that going now

That was a Motherwell-esq collapse against one of the Old Firm by Hearts there.

That said it was genuinely funny and satisfying hearing the pain in Liam McLeod and Michael Stewart’s voices at the end. Both of them could barely contain their excitement at the thought of Rangers losing and Celtic extending their lead despite dropping points yesterday. And in the end both of them were absolutely fucking gutted when Rangers never mind didn’t lose but actually went on to win it. :lol: 

19 minutes ago, MJC said:

That was a Motherwell-esq collapse against one of the Old Firm by Hearts there.

That said it was genuinely funny and satisfying hearing the pain in Liam McLeod and Michael Stewart’s voices at the end. Both of them could barely contain their excitement at the thought of Rangers losing and Celtic extending their lead despite dropping points yesterday. And in the end both of them were absolutely fucking gutted when Rangers never mind didn’t lose but actually went on to win it. :lol: 

You'll be glad your big team won then. Is that where all this getting rid of the manager after a handful of poor games comes from ? 

Just now, AllyMax said:

You'll be glad your big team won then. Is that where all this getting rid of the manager after a handful of bad games comes from ? 

Motherwell are my only team, as you well know. 

And where have I said anything about getting rid of Kettlewell??? I have questioned his summer signings and said that the four forward options are not good enough, which going by the posts on here is a view which is widely held by the support. 

1 hour ago, MJC said:

How’s that going so far then? Hearts 1-0 up and by the sounds of it turning in an excellent performance. As things stand they too will go above us today.

Turned out fine in the end. 

You seem to only factor in our deficiencies when it comes to predictions, while choosing to ignore those that riddle just about every other team in this league. Quite what you've seen from Aberdeen that convinces you they're gonnae beat us on Wednesday is beyond me, but that's your opinion, so fair enough. It's certainly not an opinion shared by many of their fans today. Mibbe yous could form a crisis support group.

7 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

However I think some or even most here are being harsh on Shaw.  He's had no pre season and started one match and some folk are saying he should never play again. 

While I agree on Casey, I'm not having this. Shaw had a preseason at Barnsley and had one start and three sub appearances there before coming here. I'm assuming he's featured in these bounce games we use to injure players. Not up to speed is not an excuse I'd let him have...

16 minutes ago, MJC said:

Motherwell are my only team, as you well know. 

I don't know any other Motherwell fan who wants us to draw Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup so they can give Louis Moult a hero's welcome, and wouldn't care if he then scored the winner. That's a bit weird.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Turned out fine in the end. 

You seem to only factor in our deficiencies when it comes to predictions, while choosing to ignore those that riddle just about every other team in this league. Quite what you've seen from Aberdeen that convinces you they're gonnae beat us on Wednesday is beyond me, but that's your opinion, so fair enough. It's certainly not an opinion shared by many of their fans today. Mibbe yous could form a crisis support group.

They have significantly better goal scoring options in their side. Miovski, Lopes, McGrath are all capable goalscorers, something which outside of a still not match fit Biereth we don’t have. We also can’t keep clean sheets. 

2 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I don't know any other Motherwell fan who wants us to draw Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup so they can give Louis Moult a hero's welcome, and wouldn't care if he then scored the winner. That's a bit weird.

That post was sarcasm and a thinly veiled dig at those in our support who hero worship certain players and almost certainly would applaud Moult should he play/score against us if we were to draw Dundee Utd in the Cup. 

For the record I fucking despise Dundee United and would never applaud anyone playing in their colours against us. Indeed I would never applaud ANY player playing against us no matter who it was and how good they had been for us.

Just now, MJC said:

They have significantly better goal scoring options in their side. Miovski, Lopes, McGrath are all capable goalscorers, something which outside of a still not match fit Biereth we don’t have. We also can’t keep clean sheets. 

Uh huh. We scored 3 yesterday, they had one attempt on target today. Till now, they've 10 goals in 9 games, same as us. As for keeping clean sheets, has that worked out better or worse for them so far?

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

For the record I fucking despise Dundee United and would never applaud anyone playing in their colours against us. Indeed I would never applaud ANY player playing against us no matter who it was and how good they had been for us.

Ok. Just Hearts you like then.