Motherwell v Aberdeen 01/11/2023

SteelmaninOZ

44 minutes ago, smiddy said:

the point i am making is if your 2nd choice goalie isnt up to it,,,, then find another 2nd choice goalie that will at least give you something to think about, cause on kellys current form if steve clarke watched him he would be no where near the squad,   watch  killie shell  long high balls into our box on sat for big vassell,  and count how many kelly deals with  

I know what you're saying. My point is, most teams, including us, can't afford to spend much of their budget on back up goalies they hope won't be needed, so you'll probably find they're not on a par with the first choice guy.

A decent goalkeeper like Mark Gillespie might be content to sit on the sidelines and watch his career drift away at Newcastle, but you won't see anyone of that standard happy to get splinters in his arse at Fir Park on our wages.

I said earlier, Kettlewell doesn't have many sellable assets, but Kelly's one of them. We'll see what he thinks of Oxborough if/when he's sold, which could well be in January. 

15 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

I said earlier, Kettlewell doesn't have many sellable assets, but Kelly's one of them. We'll see what he thinks of Oxborough if/when he's sold, which could well be in January. 

Another poster said Kelly was out of contract next summer. Good luck finding someone willing to pay for him in January...

It won't turn him into Peter Schmichel but he could actually try releasing the ball quicker and a bit more accurately.

27 minutes ago, Jastons said:

Another poster said Kelly was out of contract next summer. Good luck finding someone willing to pay for him in January...

It won't turn him into Peter Schmichel but he could actually try releasing the ball quicker and a bit more accurately.

They have to be working on his distribution, because it's awful. Between that and coming out for cross balls etc, he looks increasingly nervous to me - as does the whole defence. The Stevie Woods effect?

His form's definitely not what it was, but will Kettlewell drop him if he's not totally convinced about Oxborough? We saw where chopping and changing goalies got Dundee Utd last season.

I've got a great deal of empathy for Kelly. He's the last line of defence and should have much better support from the rest of the team.  Yes I think he could have done better with some of the goals recently but as I see it, he's offered very little protection. 

Examples from last 2 games. 
Wilkinson up front. Nothing stuck, he gave the ball away.
Teams have been walking through the midfield with very little to stop them.

Defenssively basic errors, not marking and not defending the 6 yard box. 

Our keeper doesn't deal with with crosses, we know this but he makes up for it in other qualities. He needs to take some accountability but we're not losing games because of him.

Be careful what you wish for, assuming we can get a better keeper than someone who's kicking around the Scotland squad is a dangerous assumption to make. 

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

I've got a great deal of empathy for Kelly. He's the last line of defence and should have much better support from the rest of the team.  Yes I think he could have done better with some of the goals recently but as I see it, he's offered very little protection. 

Examples from last 2 games. 
Wilkinson up front. Nothing stuck, he gave the ball away.
Teams have been walking through the midfield with very little to stop them.

Defenssively basic errors, not marking and not defending the 6 yard box. 

Our keeper doesn't deal with with crosses, we know this but he makes up for it in other qualities. He needs to take some accountability but we're not losing games because of him.

Be careful what you wish for, assuming we can get a better keeper than someone who's kicking around the Scotland squad is a dangerous assumption to make. 

Completely agree with the watch what you wish for comment. Kelly is going through a poor patch of form, although arguably from my perspective only the 4th goal on Wed night should sit at his door in terms of a bad mistake. Those of us who’ve sat through the Samson’s, Hollis’s, Twardzik’s and Nielsen’s of the world know only too well that it’s not always easy to find a decent keeper! Kelly is far from our biggest issue right now. 

2 minutes ago, couttsy said:

Completely agree with the watch what you wish for comment. Kelly is going through a poor patch of form, although arguably from my perspective only the 4th goal on Wed night should sit at his door in terms of a bad mistake. Those of us who’ve sat through the Samson’s, Hollis’s, Twardzik’s and Nielsen’s of the world know only too well that it’s not always easy to find a decent keeper! Kelly is far from our biggest issue right now. 

And those that are old enough to remember the mid 1980's will remember John Gardiner!!.  Believe me....Kelly is not as bad as a lot of previous keepers

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

And those that are old enough to remember the mid 1980's will remember John Gardiner!!.  Believe me....Kelly is not as bad as a lot of previous keepers

Haha remember him well unfortunately! Although in my opinion Stevie Woods is the all time worst in my lifetime!

Hadnt thought about it before but it seems like we’ve either had really good or really bad goalkeepers over the last 30/40 years, not much in between!

Good = Goram, Ruddy, Randolph, Gillespie, Carson and Kelly.

Bad = Woods, Gardner, Howie, Dubourdeau, Marshall and the others I mentioned earlier.

1 minute ago, couttsy said:

Haha remember him well unfortunately! Although in my opinion Stevie Woods is the all time worst in my lifetime!

Hadnt thought about it before but it seems like we’ve either had really good or really bad goalkeepers over the last 30/40 years, not much in between!

Good = Ruddy, Randolph, Gillespie, Carson and Kelly.

Bad = Woods, Gardner, Howie, Dubourdeau, Marshall and the others I mentioned earlier.

Two that I remember with fondness 

Hugh Sproat and Big Sieb.  

Any keeper willing to swing on the bar or ready to destroy anyone who came into his box is a winner in my eyes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, couttsy said:

Good = Goram, Ruddy, Randolph, Gillespie, Carson and Kelly.

A bit like our left backs, never had an average one.....just outstanding or rank rotten!! 🤪🤪

31 minutes ago, couttsy said:

Lots of us have also sat through Randolph, Ruddy, Carson and Gillespie . Kelly is much nearer the list of goalkeepers you mention than my list.

9 minutes ago, well_said said:

Lots of us have also sat through Randolph, Ruddy, Carson and Gillespie . Kelly is much nearer the list of goalkeepers you mention than my list.

Think we might need to agree to disagree there!

Whilst Kelly is not in the Randolph/Ruddy class, maybe not even Gillespie, but he’s a million miles from the duds in my original list. 

17 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Dont remember that but if it was case it must have been Shinnie.... horrible annoying character 

Their keeper got booked in what could only be described as a token yellow card because he wasn’t really time wasting.