Kilmarnock v Motherwell 04/11/2023

SteelmaninOZ

What was the formation today? Despite much pre match speculation, I read a post on P & B suggesting that it was basically the same as in recent games with Biereth on his own up front with Bair and Wilkinson replacing Spittal and Slattery and Spittal replacing Miller. That can't be right surely?

20 minutes ago, MJC said:

We as a club are ran like a bowling club committee and show absolutely no ambition whatsoever. If Kettlewell went tonight would you have any faith whatsoever in those same people then making the right appointment? I certainly don’t and that’s why we have no chance of a Lambert, Lennon, Levein type appointment. The type of man who will rock the boat and make demands of the board. It just won’t happen and that’s why we are more likely to see Ricky fucking Foster as our next manager or at least part of the next regime.

I don't really understand what you are talking about here. The last two times we changed manager almost everyone agreed both interim managers had earned the job. Prior to that we brought in Alexander who is known for falling out with people and had a decent record. Our transfer policy did change under Alexander and it wasn't spectacular but it got us the required results then he went off the boil and was looking for an exit. That's fitba.

Being Motherwell manager isn't complicated and it's not about making demands of the board. There's a budget for players, the manager needs to try and dig out a few gems, everyone accepts form will fluctuate but if you hit serious relegation form then it's out the door. If Kettlewell had just signed a few competent players on permanent deals to go into the starting 11 this summer he wouldn't be in this position. I don't think it's overly ambitious to hope for a manager who understands that starting SOD and Bair every week will get you into relegation trouble.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

Yes we sre shite just now but We won't get relegated.

I wouldn't bet on it it's got to happen to us sonner or later with the piss poor support and lack of finance but it is far too early to consider that. Mind you we have played as badly as any team I've seen so far , Livi , Kilmarnock and Aberdeen were all bang average if not piss poor and we never laid a glove on any of them. 

6 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

McKinsey and Tierney showed fuck all that would indicate they'd improve us. You think they were moved out just to annoy the fans. Although Tierney may be back but If he comes back the same as he left they can keep him.

Disagree. Mckinstry is better than what we got. He scored a few goals and had pace.

37 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I don't really understand what you are talking about here. The last two times we changed manager almost everyone agreed both interim managers had earned the job. Prior to that we brought in Alexander who is known for falling out with people and had a decent record. Our transfer policy did change under Alexander and it wasn't spectacular but it got us the required results then he went off the boil and was looking for an exit. That's fitba.

Being Motherwell manager isn't complicated and it's not about making demands of the board. There's a budget for players, the manager needs to try and dig out a few gems, everyone accepts form will fluctuate but if you hit serious relegation form then it's out the door. If Kettlewell had just signed a few competent players on permanent deals to go into the starting 11 this summer he wouldn't be in this position. I don't think it's overly ambitious to hope for a manager who understands that starting SOD and Bair every week will get you into relegation trouble.

Very nearly a great post! 

Thought it was quite a bold team selection from SK today. Wasnt really sure what it was going to look like, but he did what a lot of fans were asking for by dropping SOD, Slattery and Bair.

It was clear from the outset that he picked a team to combat the pitch and try and keep us competitive in the match.

For the most part it worked. We looked more solid in defence and didnt cough up any easy chances in the first half. We made Kilmarnock work for them and they didnt have a shot at goal for the first 30 mins.

Not going to say I was pleased at the style of our football or that we created a raft of chances, but today for me was about playing the circumstances, so I wasnt that unhappy at half time.

That all changed with the goal. We got a warning just minutes before when we failed to defend a cross into the box and the Killie player headed straight at Kelly.

We didnt heed that warning and again got caught in the transition with Kelly spilling a very easy take and none of our defenders making any response to allow Cameron an easy finish.

After that it became very much more open as we yet again chased the game.

It was clear the players were under instruction to play it long, so it was somewhat ironic that our best play and chances actually came when we got the ball down and played football.

Over the piece Killie deserved to win. But it was another game of fine margins where poor decisions from the manager and players have contributed our own downfall.

Thats now 7 without a win. We are still in the pack and a couple of positive results would take the pressure off. But every game that passes without that win will just keep heaping on the pressure.

Tuesday night now becomes huge.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Thought it was quite a bold team selection from SK today. Wasnt really sure what it was going to look like, but he did what a lot of fans were asking for by dropping SOD, Slattery and Bair.

It was clear from the outset that he picked a team to combat the pitch and try and keep us competitive in the match.

For the most part it worked. We looked more solid in defence and didnt cough up any easy chances in the first half. We made Kilmarnock work for them and they didnt have a shot at goal for the first 30 mins.

Not going to say I was pleased at the style of our football or that we created a raft of chances, but today for me was about playing the circumstances, so I wasnt that unhappy at half time.

That all changed with the goal. We got a warning just minutes before when we failed to defend a cross into the box and the Killie player headed straight at Kelly.

We didnt heed that warning and again got caught in the transition with Kelly spilling a very easy take and none of our defenders making any response to allow Cameron an easy finish.

After that it became very much more open as we yet again chased the game.

It was clear the players were under instruction to play it long, so it was somewhat ironic that our best play and chances actually came when we got the ball down and played football.

Over the piece Killie deserved to win. But it was another game of fine margins where poor decisions from the manager and players have contributed our own downfall.

Thats now 7 without a win. We are still in the pack and a couple of positive results would take the pressure off. But every game that passes without that win will just keep heaping on the pressure.

Tuesday night now becomes huge.

He didnt drop Bair?

14 hours ago, steelboy said:

SOD didn’t start today though and it was one of the worst performances we’ve had for a long time. You seem to have an issue with SOD, which is fair enough, but at least get the basic facts right.

On 11/4/2023 at 7:22 AM, wellfan said:

If we go a goal down early in the first half, which is highly likely, we're toast. 

I didn't go to the game yesterday because I had more important things to do, and it looks like my decision was correct. Going by the posts here, it seems like Kettlewell has lost the plot, and the players have downed tools. Very concerning. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I didn't go to the game yesterday because I had more important things to do, and it looks like my decision was correct. Going by the posts here, it seems like Kettlewell has lost the plot, and the players have downed tools. Very concerning. 

It wasn't great. It's the first time our formation looked all over the shop. Killie had 6 shots on goal to our 1. 

I don't think for a moment players have downed tools , more lack of confidence and lots of individual errors.  Example Kelly was poor at the goal, which is a real shame has he'd a couple of very good saves before they scored. 

I don't remember their keeper having a save to make to be honest, we didn't lay a glove on them.