Motherwell v Hearts 11/11/2023

SteelmaninOZ

On 11/8/2023 at 1:43 AM, joewarkfanclub said:

Kelly

Spencer Casey Butcher Blaney Gent

Paton

Slattery           Spittal

Bair      Biereth

Can’t disagree with your defensive set-up but putting those 3 in midfield is just asking for more of what we’ve been getting lately. When we lose the ball, none of these 3 is capable of providing any cover to the defence. Maybe consider scrapping the 3 centre-backs + 2 wing-backs set-up and move to a back 4 and move Butcher forward as the defensive midfield cover in front of them.

Kelly

Spencer, Casey, Blaney, Gent

Butcher

Slattery, Spittal, Paton

Bair, Biereth

11 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

It’s the first game for a while where on paper we’re clearly underdogs .

that might , just might bring us 3 points . 

We were surely underdogs on paper against Aberdeen last week and look how that turned out.

Hearts are one of those teams that we always match up well against, especially at Fir Park. That's why I think we could get a win here. 

If we decide to play the way we played against Aberdeen, however, then all bets are off. 

I get the feeling Mika is going to enjoy his first taste of the Jambo experience. 

7 hours ago, El Grew said:

Can’t disagree with your defensive set-up but putting those 3 in midfield is just asking for more of what we’ve been getting lately. When we lose the ball, none of these 3 is capable of providing any cover to the defence. Maybe consider scrapping the 3 centre-backs + 2 wing-backs set-up and move to a back 4 and move Butcher forward as the defensive midfield cover in front of them.

Kelly

Spencer, Casey, Blaney, Gent

Butcher

Slattery, Spittal, Paton

Bair, Biereth

Thats a tweak that works for me.

You could actually slide in and out of both formations during the course of the game depending on the situation.

The other option is to just go with Mika up top on his own and put Davor in, but I dont like that so much as we have no real idea how good he would be in there or otherwise.

Think we need to stick with tried and tested right now though.

7 hours ago, weeyin said:

Hearts are one of those teams that we always match up well against, especially at Fir Park. That's why I think we could get a win here. 

If we decide to play the way we played against Aberdeen, however, then all bets are off. 

I get the feeling Mika is going to enjoy his first taste of the Jambo experience. 

Hearts would need to be seriously bad for us to beat them. The standard of our play is frankly in the main awful. Especially defensively we have gift goals in nearly every one of our defenders and goal keeper. Our set pieces are abysmal.  I have a feeling the best we will get is a draw again.

9 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Hearts would need to be seriously bad for us to beat them. The standard of our play is frankly in the main awful. Especially defensively we have gift goals in nearly every one of our defenders and goal keeper. Our set pieces are abysmal.  I have a feeling the best we will get is a draw again.

An alterntive to Hearts being bad is for us to play better, like when we beat them at Tynecastle. 

55 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Our standard of play in the last few games has been generally poor.

But what about our standard of play at the start of the season including our game at Tynecastle where we got a clean sheet with 10 men?

Just as our performances have deteriorated in recent weeks, if SK get his tactics and team selection correct, it could improve......

53 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Our standard of play in the last few games has been generally poor.

But what about our standard of play at the start of the season including our game at Tynecastle where we got a clean sheet with 10 men?

Just as our performances have deteriorated in recent weeks, if SK get his tactics and team selection correct, it could improve......

Exactly,  not many expected us to get a result at Tynecastle and we did.   As I say a lot, we need our fans to get right behind the team. Any signs of discontent transfers onto the pitch and plays right into Hearts Hands......SIWY

• Like 1

That wee fud ref Colin Steven is the fourth official on Saturday, I wouldn't have expected to see his ugly mug so soon.

I actually feel confident we can get a couple of goals against Hearts, I just hope we stop gift wrapping them at the other end. It would be most welcome to go into the international break with the three points. 

I wonder if Kettlewell’s position is actually in jeopardy if we lose here. You’d have to think it is although you never know. We’ve had some great performances but some absolutely brutal ones of late.

Hopefully we get a win tomorrow, but if not, I wonder if the axe is hovering just now.