Motherwell v Dundee 02/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

12 hours ago, santheman said:

Every time the undersoil heating is used it kills the grass roots so if it can be avoided by using covers it is. (As told to me by the head groundsman on Saturday)

Exactly , the pish and bandwagons that some of our fans indulge in is pitiful .."we are so skint we can't put under soil heating on"... They see something and make up a story to fit the scenario. As if life for us as fans ain't hard enough without having to wade through made up pish.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Exactly , the pish and bandwagons that some of our fans indulge in is pitiful .."we are so skint we can't put under soil heating on"... They see something and make up a story to fit the scenario. As if life for us as fans ain't hard enough without having to wade through made up pish.

100% agree with the "made up pish" comment, does my nut in.

Anyway, I've just bumped into Kevin van Veen at Motherwell Station, but I'm not reading anything into it.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

That's like saying I won't turn the heating on in the house, I'll just wrap a blanket round me, it's not the money, the blanket does the job.

Given the rise in fuel costs etc It's not being used to save money no other reason, it's been at least -5 or -6  degrees below in recent nights, luckily the covers done the job but not using the underground heating is another possible indicator of just how skint the club is, it's not a good signW

We used the covers in previous winters when the temperatures did not dictate the need for the under soil heating.  Why would the club use under soil heating when they know the temperatures don't require it. The ground staff are also well aware the the Under soil heating damages the grass so it looks pretty sound judgement to me. The time to judge whether the club can't afford to put the under soil heating on is when temperatures fall to -7, thats when covers lose their ability to keep the pitch frost free

However that explanation doesn't fuel the doom merchants perspective.

If we are so skint why are we still using the overhead lighting gantries for the pitch , they are expensive to run. Hope to fuck a bulb doesn't blow,  we will have Motherwell fans forecasting Armageddon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Our midfield is as weak as dishwater and when a suspect defence has no protection in front of it we will always give away piss poor goals.

I agree with you on this. Butcher was rotten on Saturday and we badly miss Miller. So, if Davor still isn't good enough to occupy the very position we desperately need to fill, then why the fuck was he signed? I suppose I could ask the same question of several of Kettlewell’s signings. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I agree with you on this. Butcher was rotten on Saturday and we badly miss Miller. So, if Davor still isn't good enough to occupy the very position we desperately need to fill, then why the fuck was he signed? I suppose I could ask the same question of several of Kettlewell’s signings. 

Unfortunately, for me, Slattery doesn't cut it either. I think the entire midfield needs looked at from scratch.

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

Davor is becoming another mystery signing a bit like danzaki,I can see him being moved on in January,our midfield is all over the place and yet he can't get a look in.butcher needs to play at centre back,he doesn't have the legs to play in midfield,our lack of pace and ability to get about the park from our midfield on saturday was frightening.kettlwells signings have been all over the place.we needed a left back in the summer,we then sign  souare who's in his 30s who barely played last season due to injury,he gets injured,we then sign gent who again is hardly getting a sniff and instead weve been playing spencer there out of position and sticking with o'donnell who is rotten.kettlewell has mentioned back to basics a few times,maybe he should start with playing guys in there correct positions and give one or two others a chance rather than sticking with guys that are clearly out of form.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:53 AM, Kmcalpin said:

On paper I agreed too, but on the field it soon became apparent that the actual formation was causing us serious problems. An out of touch Butcher was playing almost as part of a back 6, with a 2, possibly 3 man midfield and an isolated striker having to feed off long aerial balls. After an encouraging early goal, we sat back and packed our penalty box. Dundee were allowed to swarm all over us and were afforded as much time and space as they wanted. In short we were far too passive. Again we looked very narrow and Dundee took full advantage of space out wide. They knew our weaknesses.

Dundee were no world beaters, but looked faster and better organised than us on the day. The team does have something though to come back a man down and snatch a late leveller, not for the first time. Our defending was abysmal and we looked disorganised. When out of possession we lost all shape. A lot of these weaknesses are down to the manager. Players who were playing well months ago are now playing poorly en masse. Thats down to the manager.

All things told I reckon it was a point gained and not two lost - a sad indictment on how poorly we played.  

VAR spoiled today's game and provided plenty of talking points. Overall though, the ref had a good game considering he was rookie at this level. After having watched the highlights, I’m baffled as to why there was no VAR check for Dundee’s first. When the ball is lofted back in there are 3 Dundee players, including the scorer, clearly offside.  Was there a very slight deflection? I can see now why Mugabi’s goal was scrutinised for fouling – maybe 50/50. Harry Paton’s red card  -wrong. A yellow card, as originally awarded by the ref. He was going for the ball, which was at knee height, as was McCowan. Is it a case of who gets there first? A bizarre incident late on, when Boateng went down injured after being pulled back. He fell to the deck clutching his ankle to waste time, and was asked to leave to the field by the officials. He complied only to be blocked by Tony Docherty and pushed back on again. You couldn’t make it up.

I’m not sure what angle you’re looking at but the scorer is yards inside and there are 6 Motherwell players, including Kelly, playing him on. It’s not even close to being offside.

IMG_0817.png

6 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

I’m not sure what angle you’re looking at but the scorer is yards inside and there are 6 Motherwell players, including Kelly, playing him on. It’s not even close to being offside.

IMG_0817.png

Yep! Number 10 ran past several defenders when ball in the air. There weee 2 or 3 other players in offside positions but none of them made any attempt to play the ball. Officiating ok in this instance. The red card is another matter though. 

18 hours ago, GrahamH said:

IMG_0817.png

Yes, looking at this clip, he is indeed onside. I stand corrected.

Horrific disorganised defending.