Motherwell v St Johnstone 09/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

This is where Kettlewell needs to prove he's got what it takes as a top level manager in Scotland, and where the players need to prove they have what it takes to turn things around.

Defeat here, or even a draw depending on the performance, could be the end of the road for the manager.

• SteelmaninOZ changed the title to Motherwell v St Johnstone 09/12/2023
25 minutes ago, wellfan said:

If Kettlewell is still in charge (he shouldn't be) and we suffer defeat at home, it'll be upsettingly ugly, and that 'blood' will be on the Board's hands. 

Absolutely. That scenario would be in no one's interest, least of all SK's. We have a duty of care here  

I'm actually going to issue a bit of a rallying call here.

Having been one of the unfortunate few who suffered an 8 hour round trip to Dingwall to suffer another 90mins of absolute dross I had made my mind up to give Saturday a miss to save what's left of my sanity.

I said elsewhere that I hope Kettlewell gives them the morning off and gets them in this afternoon, locks them in the dressing room and no-one gets out until the current problems are thrashed out. Might not be pretty but I think it's reached that stage now.

Having slept on it I now realise that would be the easy coward's way out and I will be there.

My worry is that with all the negativity on the forums there is a toxic atmosphere even before the game starts so I think it's important that the fans show their support right from the start and get right behind the team.

I support Motherwell as a club first and foremost and the 11 on the park are only the present holders of the jersey.Happy clapper stuff maybe.

HOWEVER if they can't get up for this game then I think we're well and truly fucked and I would be one of the first outside the stand shouting sack the board/manager or whatever, but hopefully it doesn't get to that point and we're all talking about a performance and win on Saturday night.

Whether or not we stay up or get relegated this season I think a major rethink of how the club operates is needed as we surely can't keep going on the way we are and that includes reviewing  every function in the club, listening to every stakeholder and fans views in an open and transparent way and coming up with an affordable and workable medium to long term strategy.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, santheman said:

Having been one of the unfortunate few who suffered an 8 hour round trip to Dingwall to suffer another 90mins of absolute dross I had made my mind up to give Saturday a miss to save what's left of my sanity.

I said elsewhere that I hope Kettlewell gives them the morning off and gets them in this afternoon, locks them in the dressing room and no-one gets out until the current problems are thrashed out. Might not be pretty but I think it's reached that stage now.

Having slept on it I now realise that would be the easy coward's way out and I will be there.

My worry is that with all the negativity on the forums there is a toxic atmosphere even before the game starts so I think it's important that the fans show their support right from the start and get right behind the team.

I support Motherwell as a club first and foremost and the 11 on the park are only the present holders of the jersey.Happy clapper stuff maybe.

HOWEVER if they can't get up for this game then I think we're well and truly fucked and I would be one of the first outside the stand shouting sack the board/manager or whatever, but hopefully it doesn't get to that point and we're all talking about a performance and win on Saturday night.

Whether or not we stay up or get relegated this season I think a major rethink of how the club operates is needed as we surely can't keep going on the way we are and that includes reviewing  every function in the club, listening to every stakeholder and fans views in an open and transparent way and coming up with an affordable and workable medium to long term strategy.

Well said sir.  It looks like SK will be in charge and for me it's win or bust but I will be roaring on the lads as usual (and bugging hell out of my mates with my jokes). 

However Levein won't need a team talk if our lads and SK are subjected to criticism for every mistake.  That breeds nerves and won't help us get 3 points.

Win and it buys SK a dugs chance but anything less and even someone as positive as me needs to face reality.    If Butcher and Casey injured and Paton available from suspension then my plan.

KELLY

SOD.   BEVIS.  BLANEY

SPENCER                                GENT

PATON.     SPITTAL.  SLATTERY

MIKA.      WILKINSON

some in that line up really need to produce a big performance as they have been poor recently

COYW

21 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Well said sir.  It looks like SK will be in charge and for me it's win or bust but I will be roaring on the lads as usual (and bugging hell out of my mates with my jokes). 

However Levein won't need a team talk if our lads and SK are subjected to criticism for every mistake.  That breeds nerves and won't help us get 3 points.

Win and it buys SK a dugs chance but anything less and even someone as positive as me needs to face reality.    If Butcher and Casey injured and Paton available from suspension then my plan.

KELLY

SOD.   BEVIS.  BLANEY

MIKA.      WILKINSON

some in that line up really need to produce a big performance as they have been poor recently

COYW

What was the news on McGinn ? Was he not being assesed for return yesterday ? Was anything further said anywhere re. his availability for Saturday ?

1 minute ago, AllyMax said:

What was the news on McGinn ? Was he not being assesed for return yesterday ? Was anything further said anywhere re. his availability for Saturday ?

He’s probably decided to break the other half of his face so he doesn't have to be part of the forthcoming shitshow on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, santheman said:

You've got me.

See you there......

9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Where do we start with this thread and its already Wednesday morning!

Who will be in charge?

What players are fit, especially in defence and midfield?

Butcher has a calf injury and is out, Casey is suspended but no word on his injury, McGinn still being assessed for a return.

Was at the game last night, enough said on that. Looking forward, I thought wee Zdravkovski actually did a good job marking Dhanda 2nd half (albeit the game looked done) - got stuck in, showed for the ball and had some decent touches. Maybe him and Oxborough deserve their chance. Hopefully McGinn is fit for this one, sounding like Casey and Butcher will be out. Let's get behind the team, it's only a game eh... 😬

Oxborough/Kelly

McGinn  Mugabi  Blaney

Spencer                                            Gent

Slattery  Zdravkovski  Spittal

Biereth + Wilkinson/Bair/Obika/Shaw 

48 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

KELLY

SOD.   BEVIS.  BLANEY

MIKA.      WILKINSON

COYW

I forgot all about Blaney.  Seems a decent starting line up. Obviously we need to tighten up defensive side of our play but we can make things so much easier for ourselves if we stop giving the ball way time after time, when we should be completing simple Passes with ease. Cut down on the long hopeless balls and play wide or through the midfield. Generally, execute on the basics and we stand a good chance of getting 3 points. 

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

KELLY

SOD.   BEVIS.  BLANEY

MIKA.      WILKINSON

COYW

Paton’s suspension is 2 matches.

Ross County was a very odd formation smacking of a desperation which I didn’t think needed to be there after the, relative, positivity of Dundee ending. 

St J is therefore for me a (last) chance for Kettlewell to reset and show that he can get us out of this.  

If he can get 4 points out of next two games then he should stay.
If he loses this he should go and give us time to get someone in (rather than caretaker) by time of Livi game. 
3-2