What's the script?

Yoshi-1991

Talked about in passing in other threads but I think it's needing its own place for discussion.

What exactly is going on at the top end of the club? I'm not a society member so maybe not privy to some of the inside info but from what I, and many others can see there is clearly something wrong. Why is it taking so long to replace Burrows? Why has there been practically radio silence from the club in general outside of playing/ coaching staff for near on a year? 

For me the club is being run by well meeting amateurs with no idea how to run a football club, these are the people who signed off on Nick Daws advice on what players to sign, 30 in total with only 7 still at the club, how is he still employed given the shite we've seen come and go.

No CEO appointed, the directors are not at the club all day thats the CEO's job so who's running things day to day, the women's team is apparently financed solely from the club and not a stand alone entity, how much money that could be spent on 1st team players are spent on that, we also have no reserve team any more.

The whole set up seems amateurish for me you can't run a football club on that basis. For me its time for a complete reboot of how the club is run before we end up relegated.

• Like 1

Is it not the COO's job to run the day to day? That's why, for example, St Mirren employed Las in that role.

Lots of clubs don't even use the CEO model, so it's not a necessity for running a football team - or running a business for that matter. It's just one approach of many.

Anyway, as far as the communication we've seen goes, we hired a head hunting firm and we haven't found anybody qualified that wants to do the job. That's not that surprising, at least to me, as a good CEO would likely need to take a pay cut to join us. So the only incentive would be if they were a Motherwell fan.

Derek Weir would be a good option, but while he's a Motherwell fan he falls inside the "would need to take a big pay cut" category. Although it's good he is acting CEO for now.

Alternatively, we can take a risk on someone that's never been a CEO before and hope they can step up. I'm still available for that option - just a phone call away.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Is it not the COO's job to run the day to day? That's why, for example, St Mirren employed Las in that role.

Lots of clubs don't even use the CEO model, so it's not a necessity for running a football team - or running a business for that matter. It's just one approach of many.

Anyway, as far as the communication we've seen goes, we hired a head hunting firm and we haven't found anybody qualified that wants to do the job. That's not that surprising, at least to me, as a good CEO would likely need to take a pay cut to join us. So the only incentive would be if they were a Motherwell fan.

Derek Weir would be a good option, but while he's a Motherwell fan he falls inside the "would need to take a big pay cut" category. Although it's good he is acting CEO for now.

Alternatively, we can take a risk on someone that's never been a CEO before and hope they can step up. I'm still available for that option - just a phone call away.

Bring Las home?

15 hours ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

Talked about in passing in other threads but I think it's needing its own place for discussion.

What exactly is going on at the top end of the club? I'm not a society member so maybe not privy to some of the inside info but from what I, and many others can see there is clearly something wrong. Why is it taking so long to replace Burrows? Why has there been practically radio silence from the club in general outside of playing/ coaching staff for near on a year? 

I’m a society member and I know exactly the same as you. Hee Haw.

Update from the Well Society on the CEO position:

"A few of you have been in touch – or have taken to social media – to ask questions of the Society around the CEO position, and to seek reassurance about the direction of travel. We've noted your comments and concerns. As the majority shareholder, the Society has received regular updates over the past few months from Acting CEO, Derek Weir, and the Chairman, Jim McMahon. Here's an update of what has been happening...

Despite interviewing a shortlist of potential candidates earlier in the year the club was unable to appoint a suitable CEO earlier in the year. Former vice chair of the club Derek Weir then agreed to step into the role on an interim basis. At that time there were a number of outstanding issues which needed attention, including: 

Agreeing the continued use of Braidhurst High School for the Academy and Dalziel Park for first team training. 

Working with the manager and head of recruitment regarding contract issues. This included, amongst others, extending Lennon Miller’s contract and getting the player budget to a realistic and manageable level. 

This required Derek to stay in the role – supported by heads of department - longer than first envisaged. During the last six months he has committed significant time to the role with positive progress made in a number of areas. It is currently the intention to re-start the process of hiring a permanent CEO in the New Year."

53 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Update from the Well Society on the CEO position:

"A few of you have been in touch – or have taken to social media – to ask questions of the Society around the CEO position, and to seek reassurance about the direction of travel. We've noted your comments and concerns. As the majority shareholder, the Society has received regular updates over the past few months from Acting CEO, Derek Weir, and the Chairman, Jim McMahon. Here's an update of what has been happening...

Despite interviewing a shortlist of potential candidates earlier in the year the club was unable to appoint a suitable CEO earlier in the year. Former vice chair of the club Derek Weir then agreed to step into the role on an interim basis. At that time there were a number of outstanding issues which needed attention, including: 

Agreeing the continued use of Braidhurst High School for the Academy and Dalziel Park for first team training. 

Working with the manager and head of recruitment regarding contract issues. This included, amongst others, extending Lennon Miller’s contract and getting the player budget to a realistic and manageable level. 

This required Derek to stay in the role – supported by heads of department - longer than first envisaged. During the last six months he has committed significant time to the role with positive progress made in a number of areas. It is currently the intention to re-start the process of hiring a permanent CEO in the New Year."

thanks for the update @wellfan.    

Not impressed with the club at the moment, radio silence leaving it up to SK to speak to press re the future of his role , not sorting out the CEO role for well over a year.  

Appreciate lots of well intended folk but frustrated at lack of communication , drive and vision. 

• Like 1

It's clear that the club is, and has been for some time, in an almost rudderless holding pattern, haemorrhaging money and goals throughout. It's beyond disappointing, and I would expect better from a professional football club, but the lack of clear leadership and strategy explains why we're in the mess we are, both on and off the park. It's a worrying time to be a Well fan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Do we not have a media guru that the board can employ to keep fans informed?

We have a director who’s the founding partner of a strategic communications consultancy. He’s now not in their employ, but, suspect he could be relied upon to offer advice.

Think some fans need to grasp that the Society exists to offer the club an overdraft facility - which in fairness hasn’t been required for some time. How much transparency do they need for that? Decision making & driving meaningful change will be on kit design at best. Various factors.

Tail wagging the dog springs to mind & it’s unlikely the two co-opted board members will raise their heads above the parapet to question the governance.

3 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

We have a director who’s the founding partner of a strategic communications consultancy. He’s now not in their employ, but, suspect he could be relied upon to offer advice.

Think some fans need to grasp that the Society exists to offer the club an overdraft facility - which in fairness hasn’t been required for some time. How much transparency do they need for that? Decision making & driving meaningful change will be on kit design at best. Various factors.

Tail wagging the dog springs to mind & it’s unlikely the two co-opted board members will raise their heads above the parapet to question the governance.

I dont disagree with that.

But thats not really fan owned is it?

Owners should have some input on their investment.

This is my problem with the Well Society's relationship with the club.

The club are happy to take our money but not willing to to cede any input in decision making.

Im not saying the fans should be consulted in every single matter. You cant run a business that way.

But we should have a say on the general direction of the club and matters of importance.

Just my opinion.

26 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The club are happy to take our money but not willing to to cede any input in decision making.

Im not saying the fans should be consulted in every single matter. You cant run a business that way.

But we should have a say on the general direction of the club and matters of importance.

Just my opinion.

Nor disagreement here.

Your summation aligns with my ‘tail wagging the dog’ quip.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wellfan said:

I think this is fairly significant and shown how overburdened Alexander left us on the playing budget with agreeing 3 year contracts. It also can explain the current situation we find ourselves in with the small playing squad. Hopefully we get through this season and pick up again going forward

6 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Just my opinion.

The society members elected a board to do that. Now, whether they are actually using their position to hold the club to account, I don't know.

41 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

The society members elected a board to do that. Now, whether they are actually using their position to hold the club to account, I don't know.

Question I have on this, is did they appoint everyone in the current board?

Now 75% usually appoints a board - I can tell from Companies House that Well Society has 65% +

The Memorandum and Articles I haven't read but it would be interesting to see what powers the WS really has - usually kicks in at 75.

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

I dont know how they go about exerting power, but I tbink there are only 2 on the board (I could be wrong on that) so in the minority and not able to force through or demand anything if the other board members vote against.....