Motherwell v Livingston 30/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Credit to the players for the performance in the first half, Livingston couldn't deal with our movement. The second half was terrible mainly due to shit for brains Kelly deciding to time waste then kick the ball straight to Obileye or their goalie every chance he got. He's as thick as two short planks. 

Gent has come onto form and Spencer had his best game for a while. Wee Davor has improved a lot and his enthusiasm is different class. He seems to have decided he's the captain and never stops talking.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Wee Davor has improved a lot and his enthusiasm is different class. He seems to have decided he's the captain and never stops talking.

We are better when Slattery doesn't play.  

First off, well done to Livingston for respecting the O'Donnell applause and not taking the throw in, that was a nice touch.

Now the game.

We have started so many matches poorly this season but today we could have and maybe should have scored inside 20 seconds and that clearly rattled Livingston right from the start of the match.  For the first 20 minutes Livingston were all over the place and we could have scored 5, 6, 7.  

When the game settled down there wasn't a lot between the teams but if you exert that pressure right from the start it gives you a level of control over the match.

We thoroughly deserved the win, and Theo fully earned the MOTM award. I expect more of this from now on, so hats off to him today. The third goal was classy.  

Livi were shit and there for the taking, and we thankfully smashed through them quickly. The second half was horrendous crap, but getting the job done in the first half for once saw us cross the finish line comfortably in the end. Phew. 

We should've won today (on paper anyway), so let's not get carried away. I also think Kettlewell is safe now, regardless of the Hibs result, so let's hope he doesn't fuck up another transfer window. 

A win at last, thank god! 

Fair play to SK I thought the 3 up front was a mistake but we managed to get the ball forward early and put them under pressure in the first 20/25, and they just couldn't cope!

Pleased for big Theo 2 goals (1 a cracker) and an assist! The boy always puts a shift in, so nice to see him get some reward. 

There’s no doubt we’re better at the back when McGinn plays, although I thought O’Donnell played well today as well, and I’m far from his biggest fan.

We should remember that Theo Bair only turned 24 in August and this is only his 2nd full season in Scottish football. I believe if he gets  a proper run in the team he could develop into quite a decent player. He also seems to be a good foil for Biereth. They’re both still young and raw but there is definitely something to work on with them.

Congratulations to the whole team but particularly Kettlewell for managing his way through a very difficult spell and Bair for his brace and assist today. He was not the most popular of signings but his contribution this term to date has vindicated the decision to sign him. I think if he can take confidence from today he will add to his goal tally. 

It has been a very strange time and has looked at points like we were seeing the same story repeated but Ross Country apart, it has never felt like the same terminal situation we have seen all too often.

Only one result, against the poorest team in the league but it should shift the mindset. Any result against Hibs will do nicely going into the winter break. 

Unbelievably top six is still possible even after that awful run. Shows how erratic the other teams are as well.

18 minutes ago, star sail said:

Congratulations to the whole team but particularly Kettlewell for managing his way through a very difficult spell and Bair for his brace and assist today. He was not the most popular of signings but his contribution this term to date has vindicated the decision to sign him. I think if he can take confidence from today he will add to his goal tally. 

It has been a very strange time and has looked at points like we were seeing the same story repeated but Ross Country apart, it has never felt like the same terminal situation we have seen all too often.

Only one result, against the poorest team in the league but it should shift the mindset. Any result against Hibs will do nicely going into the winter break. 

Unbelievably top six is still possible even after that awful run. Shows how erratic the other teams are as well.

The standard is dreadful across all the teams. I've not seen one decent team against us which made our horrific run all the more depressing. Big game on Tuesday, if we can get away from Easter Road with anything it gives us a chance to take a breather regroup and possibly get some new faces in because we badly need them. The current squad is frankly dreadful and at least 6 or 7 need to be in their last season with us. 

I'm most pleased for Stuart Kettlewell. I know a few wanted him sacked but I've always hoped he'd turn it around. I think he's an honest hard working guy who is really giving his all for the club. Will he see it out? still a fine line but personally for me I really hope so. 

4 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I'm most pleased for Stuart Kettlewell. I know a few wanted him sacked but I've always hoped he'd turn it around. I think he's an honest hard working guy who is really giving his all for the club. Will he see it out? still a fine line but personally for me I really hope so. 

If he steers us to a miserable 10th, avoiding the playoff, I’m pretty sure the new regime at the top (whoever that is) won't renew his contract in the summer. He’ll have our thanks for the rollercoaster and we’ll hopefully employ someone with a bit more experience.