Interim CEO Derek Weir speaks to the fans

SteelmaninOZ

23 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

How do you advertise and seek out investors on social media without making it glaringly obvious you're looking for money?

Well the 1st thing you do is never use the phrase " geez yer dosh" that just sounds unprofessional and a little bit desperate.

If you're seeking investors its implied you want new money you don't need to mention it.

Any potential investors, will want a return on their money, they wont be happy just continually putting cash into the club and getting nothing back. For me that's the main problem how would any potential investment in the club generate a return and therefore make us an attractive proposition.

Will they want a controlling share in the club ,increased crowds, selling shirts with Swift on the back, more TV money, the club winning trophies, extended European runs etc so how much investment would it take to achieve any of those scenarios if they are possible?

4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Well the 1st thing you do is never use the phrase " geez yer dosh" that just sounds unprofessional and a little bit desperate.

If you're seeking investors its implied you want new money you don't need to mention it.

Any potential investors, will want a return on their money, they wont be happy just continually putting cash into the club and getting nothing back. For me that's the main problem how would any potential investment in the club generate a return and therefore make us an attractive proposition.

Will they want a controlling share in the club ,increased crowds, selling shirts with Swift on the back, more TV money, the club winning trophies, extended European runs etc so how much investment would it take to achieve any of those scenarios if they are possible?

I agree about potential investors. Anyone looking to make a profit from a club our size is either bonkers or worth the watching. I suppose bonkers would be the preferred option, so maybe that's who this video is aimed at.

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

Quality thread. Will read again.

I apologise if my attempt at humour does not meet your high standards . I have made a mental note to contact you in the future to seek your approval before I post anything humerous.

2 hours ago, well_said said:

I apologise if my attempt at humour does not meet your high standards . I have made a mental note to contact you in the future to seek your approval before I post anything humerous.

I think your trouble is you peaked with Grim Shaw !

got mixed up. Too early to be posting ! 

Regardless of your thoughts on the advert, it got Jim McMahon on Sky News (not just Sky Sports News) last night talking about the initiative.

It has also generated very positive articles on the BBC website and various other news feeds.

Motherwell FC hasnt received that much attention in the media for a very long time.

Obviously we need the publicity to result in significant investment, but the first part of the strategy seems to be working.

Maybe, just maybe, the amateurs at the helm of the rudderless ship know what they are doing?

9 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Regardless of your thoughts on the advert, it got Jim McMahon on Sky News (not just Sky Sports News) last night talking about the initiative.

It has also generated very positive articles on the BBC website and various other news feeds.

Motherwell FC hasnt received that much attention in the media for a very long time.

Obviously we need the publicity to result in significant investment, but the first part of the strategy seems to be working.

Maybe, just maybe, the amateurs at the helm of the rudderless ship know what they are doing?

Just been contacted by staff at a couple of US and Canadian Colleges who know I'm a 'Well fan to ask about the video. They tell me everyone in their respective staffrooms are talking about it.

• Like 3

Shared the link with a Dortmund supporting colleague over in Germany:

"Haha. That´s a very smart, funny and likeable video! now i know even better why you love this club so much. really like it! I was smiling all the time while watching :) "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67960380

The chairman saying it has worked well, and dismissing speculation that it was embarrassing for the club. I still think it's a shocker and I loathe the fact that we're proud that 99% of 2.4 million people are laughing at us.

"Taylor Swift gies yer dosh!!" arghhhhhhhh it makes my skin crawl!

2 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67960380

The chairman saying it has worked well, and dismissing speculation that it was embarrassing for the club. I still think it's a shocker and I loathe the fact that we're proud that 99% of 2.4 million people are laughing at us.

"Taylor Swift gies yer dosh!!" arghhhhhhhh it makes my skin crawl!

The chairman saying "it has worked well" for me that speaks volumes of how the club is run if he thinks releasing that video was a good move. Yes millions of views online but only because it's cringeworthy, if it was meant as a professional pitch to attract potential investors it's a serious own goal.

He mentions other clubs and individuals putting in millions each year, I very much doubt they are doing that without return, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen are much bigger clubs than us, with more potential to make money, what could an investor hope to get in return from a club of Motherwells size.

For me nobody is going to keep pumping money into a club year after year to keep it running with no return, especially if they don't have a controlling interest in tbe club.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The chairman saying "it has worked well" for me that speaks volumes of how the club is run if he thinks releasing that video was a good move. Yes millions of views online but only because it's cringeworthy, if it was meant as a professional pitch to attract potential investors it's a serious own goal.

He mentions other clubs and individuals putting in millions each year, I very much doubt they are doing that without return, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen are much bigger clubs than us, with more potential to make money, what could an investor hope to get in return from a club of Motherwells size.

For me nobody is going to keep pumping money into a club year after year to keep it running with no return, especially if they don't have a controlling interest in tbe club.

I think our fans have totally missed the point here.

Im not saying on first viewing I didnt find the ad a bit cringey. I did. 

But this isnt being trailed as a professional pitch to serious investors. Its a media stunt designed to grab attention and get people talking about the fact that Motherwell are in the market for investment. And to that extent, it is a huge success!

The professional pitch should be part of the follow up strategy directed at those individuals who have requested further information.

The strategy to secure investment going forward may or may not be a success. But the marketing company and the club will be delighted with the response to the marketing campaign so far.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

But this isnt being trailed as a professional pitch to serious investors. Its a media stunt designed to grab attention and get people talking about the fact that Motherwell are in the market for investment. And to that extent, it is a huge success!

Nah not having that, the Ad company and club board may have thought it was a good laugh, off the wall, tounge in cheek etc but they meant it to be serious ie geez yer dosh.

Yes it's went viral, but honestly is a serious investor going to watch that and say you know what I'm giving them a call I want to put millions into that nice wee Scottish club, I think not.

Time will tell whether we get any bites and if we do attract a Motherwell Daft/ daft investor to give us their dosh then I'll be the 1st to admit I was wrong but it was all a bit amateurish for me 

• Like 1

It is certainly getting lots of coverage which is obviously great and if it works then great. But for me and no criticism to the young lad being asked to say it but the "gies yer Dosh" line is embarrassing.  But time will tell if it has been a success or not

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

It is certainly getting lots of coverage which is obviously great and if it works then great. But for me and no criticism to the young lad being asked to say it but the "gies yer Dosh" line is embarrassing.  But time will tell if it has been a success or not

Certainly not the way I would have done it.

I think you can be funny without being cringey and achieve the same goal.

But it is what it is. Certainly not worth getting bent out of shape for.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, David said:

He didn't mention in his statement specifics about the YouTube video either, did he? It will be a multi-faceted approach. I pretty much guarantee this to be the case, because for it not to be would be a complete farce. 

And as much as our board maybe doesn't have the best track record of late, they're not absolute morons.

Yes, but how do you get the word out that the club is seeking additional investment? The Chairman and CEO making a statement isn't going to do anything to get said statement in front of people, is it? 

As I've said already, it will more than likely be a multi-faceted approach. The social media campaign is designed to get the club and our message in front of people.

The video has been seen almost 2.5 million times on Twitter, which is an excellent return considering the club account has 60,000 followers. 

It has also been retweeted by Tom Green, bizarrely. An actor, director and comedian from Canada with a Twitter reach of around 300,000 of his own. 

So, despite criticism of the video itself, we cannot deny that it's doing what it was created to do. Draw attention.

It's then the job of those who run the club to turn any interested parties drawn from that attention into a potential investor. That's where the written business plan and strategy document you mention would come into play.

None of the above can exist on an island. They all have to co-exist for the campaign to be successful.

Bowing to superior knowledge!! :notworthy:

• Haha 1

I think any campaign that can get traction like this has must be the envy of every other club whether its cringworthy or not if it had just been bland it would have disappeared without a trace i for one hope its sucessful and we get some serious investers looking to fund our wee club. Because the current model is not providing enough funds to keep us competetive and there's only one way that ends.

• Like 1

All that abomination of a video has done is show the world just how much of a tinpot no-mark pathetic excuse for a professional football club we really have become. Even by our standards and with the amount of absolute cringeworthy guff that has spewed out of our social media dept this is a new low.

The way it combines the "we exist to improve people's lives" pish with the begging for money and ends with a wee lad name dropping Taylor Swift is peak cringe.

I don't even think Tam Cowan could put a humourous or positive spin on that.

I think we as a club are well and truly fucked and Admin 2 isn't far away.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MJC said:

All that abomination of a video has done is show the world just how much of a tinpot no-mark pathetic excuse for a professional football club we really have become. Even by our standards and with the amount of absolute cringeworthy guff that has spewed out of our social media dept this is a new low.

The way it combines the "we exist to improve people's lives" pish with the begging for money and ends with a wee lad name dropping Taylor Swift is peak cringe.

I don't even think Tam Cowan could put a humourous or positive spin on that.

I think we as a club are well and truly fucked and Admin 2 isn't far away.

Don't worry, if Admin 2 does come, you'll be gone in an explosion of ecstacy.

• Like 1

Theres a bit of sense in most of your posts MJC, much more than many give you credit for, but you're wide of the mark with this statememt. Our club is not in financial trouble (the annual accounts tell us that) and we're not basket cases like the 2 Dundee clubs. We have cash in the bank with some back up available, if and when needed, through the Society.  Irrespective of what we think of the video, this campaign is to raise fresh funds to help us compete with the likes of Killie, Ross County, St Johnstone and St Mirren, which we're currently struggling to do.  

We're in no danger of going into administration any time soon.

• Like 4

I'm not watching these 30 minutes interviews but does McMahon say that we had an offer to buy the club? Should the Well Society members not be hearing about this and laying out some ground rules about how this kind of approach is dealt with?

As far as the video goes I don't like it but I'm willing to accept that we're overwhelmingly a bunch of miserable bastards and it isn't aimed at us.