St Johnstone v Motherwell 27/01/2024

SteelmaninOZ

6 hours ago, purestate said:

😆 well exactly. Although StJ have had more wins since CL came in they haven’t beaten us in 3 attempts so is our squad better than there’s or is CL no better than SK?    

SK is the better one 👍

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Never made game today so can't comment on performance but a draw not bad but we need to start winning games .

I love this forum and appreciate everyone has own views but some of the negativity at times is hard to read.   Let's try and be positive and hope for more success soon.....COYW

Mate! That’s the spirit 🥃

well said pal👍

As most have said, thought we were by far the better team yesterday and if we had any kind of quality up front with Bair we’d surely have been walking away with the 3 points. Some horrific refereeing, particularly in the first half did us no favours, but Paton absolutely needs to take at least one of his two chances in the second half. 

There are encouraging signs but we have to get at least 4 points from the next two home games before we go to Aberdeen and Hearts, followed by Celtic at FP.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steelboy said:

Seeing the goal on Sportscene I don't think Considine was interfering. Correct decision.

I take the opposite view on this issue.  Considine is the nearest player, and very close, to Kelly, right? So, he's "potentially" offside?

As the ball is being kicked he obscures or, at the very least, restricts Kelly's view.  Surely thats interfering with play?  if that isn't enough he makes an attempt, albeit unsuccessful, to help the ball into the net. That surely is also occupying Kelly's attention.

Quite plainly interfering with play in my view and a very poor decision - one of many.

All that said, poor defending at the free kick and a soft goal to lose.

22 minutes ago, couttsy said:

As most have said, thought we were by far the better team yesterday and if we had any kind of quality up front with Bair we’d surely have been walking away with the 3 points. Some horrific refereeing, particularly in the first half did us no favours, but Paton absolutely needs to take at least one of his two chances in the second half. 

There are encouraging signs but we have to get at least 4 points from the next two home games before we go to Aberdeen and Hearts, followed by Celtic at FP.

Very much my view.

I went to the game with very limited expectations and was pleasantly surprised. We controlled much of the game, were the better side, even playing against a pretty strong St Johnstone team (injury wise), with a long injury list and only one striker.  We also played some nice football, when we kept it on the deck.  We would have won deservedly if we'd had a cutting edge up front. 

The defence lost a very soft but controversial goal and I was pleased that we lost it early on. We got the obligatory gift out of the way at the start. I thought the defence had some shaky moments from time to time, although McGinn was a vital steadying influence in the middle. Butcher coming back onto a game. Kimpioka caused tham some uncomfortable moments at times.

I thought the midfield played pretty well, especially going forward, although maybe the line up wasn't quite right. The best I've seen them play for a while. Halliday was quietly effective and brought some much needed experience to the engine room. Davor had a decent game although the referee took an instant dislike to him. Paton played well although he looked a little uncomfortable in such an advanced role. Corner kicks aside, Spittal played well too although his lack of pace was a little evident. If he was quicker, he wouldn't be with us. SOD and Gent, especially, did very well on the attack not so much defensively.  I was a bit concerned when Miller entered the fray but he came through unscathed. Nicholson looks to be a good acquisition and he was bright in flashes. Looking forward to seeing him when fit.

Up front, Bair played pretty well on his own and took his goal well. Suffered from lack of support at times, as we all knew he would.

I'm more optimistic this morning.

13 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Agree 100% Gazzy. Sometimes the trolls are not the ones who are supposedly identified. If someone genuinely holds views that is not trolling. 

Calling someone a troll is a "get out" for people who have lost an argument and can't come back with anything constructive.

They most probably don't actually know what the word itself means.

I for one succesfully trolled the Rangers obsessed moonhowlers on Pie & Bovril for about four years and was eventually banned for it. But I did a pretty good job of it while it lasted. I knew exactly what to say and when to say it, all it took most of the time was a "Good luck Rangers, YATP" and that was enough. 

On here though I'm only interested in discussing Motherwell and our club and always try and be as constructive as possible.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I take the opposite view on this issue.  Considine is the nearest player, and very close, to Kelly, right? So, he's "potentially" offside?

As the ball is being kicked he obscures or, at the very least, restricts Kelly's view.  Surely thats interfering with play?  if that isn't enough he makes an attempt, albeit unsuccessful, to help the ball into the net. That surely is also occupying Kelly's attention.

Quite plainly interfering with play in my view and a very poor decision - one of many.

All that said, poor defending at the free kick and a soft goal to lose.

In terms of on or offside - Spittal who was out of shot as outside the post was playing everyone on. I agree Kellys view was obscured 

I thought the referee's performance and St Johnstone's antics warranted a separate post.

Colin Steven was never in control of the game and quite bluntly St Johnstone took the p**s. He was too easily conned and made a constant stream of inconsistent and erroneous calls. How Phillips wasn't sent off I'll never know. The incident near the end when he went down injured, told to get up and go off and then fell down a yard or two from the touch line! Farcical. Craig Levein's influence all over that! Am I right in thinking too that players are not allowed to harangue the referee during the VAR process? Not completely one sided though as Butcher should have been carded. He spoiled the game and made one serious wrong call that affected the result.

St Johnstone were as we thought they would be....cynical streetwise and physical. Gamesmanship started even before kick off. The piutch was bumpy and heavy. Why then heavily water our goal (the lowest part of the pitch and where water drains to btw) before 3pm? This sort of practice should be stopped by the SFA. Also one of the more eagle eyed members of our group spotted a wheeze with the ball boys several times. The ball goes out of play for a throw in; ballboy A collects it and passes it to ballboy B 10 yards further up the pitch who then throws/places the ball on the pitch for the St Johnstone player to take the throw in thereby sneakily gaining 10 yards. 

Rant over.

6 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

In terms of on or offside - Spittal who was out of shot as outside the post was playing everyone on. I agree Kellys view was obscured

I get what you're saying about Spittal's positioning, but Considine is clearly nearer the line than our number 7. I can only assume that the VAR camera's positioning is not quite perfect or human error is responsible.    

4 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I get what you're saying about Spittal's positioning, but Considine is clearly nearer the line than our number 7. I can only assume that the VAR camera's positioning is not quite perfect or human error is responsible.    

It was certainly tight.   

What's less for debate is the initial ball in,  I'd like to have seen Mugabi or Butcher go and attack the ball. Im not sold on 3 centre halves approach as we continue to get caught like this.  Appreciate we may just need better central defenders. 

Cheap goals need to stop. We've conceded 35 goals in 22 games. 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

No, he isn’t. The view from behind the goal shows Spittal’s right foot is marginally closer, playing Considine onside. Won’t let me add a screenshot but you can clearly see it on the Sportscene coverage. Had Considine been offside I agree that he was definitely interfering. 

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Calling someone a troll is a "get out" for people who have lost an argument and can't come back with anything constructive.

I for one succesfully trolled the Rangers obsessed moonhowlers on Pie & Bovril for about four years and was eventually banned for it. But I did a pretty good job of it while it lasted. I knew exactly what to say and when to say it, all it took most of the time was a "Good luck Rangers, YATP" and that was enough. 

On here though I'm only interested in discussing Motherwell and our club and always try and be as constructive as possible.

Gees what an achievement, getting banned from a forum, put it on Ur CV

There was a guy yesterday calling one of our players a c@nt and he hadnt played 30 mins for us yet , that's not supporting

You keep on posting bud, I won't be engaging with you tho...

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

You keep on posting bud, I won't be engaging with you tho...

Good. :lol:

Just remember that the next time you’re tempted to have a wee whinge about what I post.

Bye for now. X

3 hours ago, MJC said:

Maybe you should be constructive with your prediction of results.

12 hours ago, weeyin said:

It's the internet equivalent of sitting in the East Stand or, for people my age, standing in the East Terrace.

Luckily we didn't have the internet during the first Premier League season of Tommy McLean or any of our relegation seasons. You don't know what a bad team is until you've seen a team get relegated and then finish 6th in the First Division.

ah the fence up the middle ,and the hertz fans playing darts through the mesh, they were the days eh ,, oh n the spearmint chewing gum n the macaroon bars , then the wonderfull feeling of hot pish running doon the backs of yir legs :):):):):):

4 hours ago, smiddy said:

ah the fence up the middle ,and the hertz fans playing darts through the mesh, they were the days eh ,, oh n the spearmint chewing gum n the macaroon bars , then the wonderfull feeling of hot pish running doon the backs of yir legs :):):):):):

It was Hibs for the darts and it came from our side of the fence sadly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

no no either hertz as i thought or as u say hibs but deffo from them it was the guy porter from jerviston that got it in the head there is still photos ( someone on here will find them ) to back me up he was being led round the track by a polis     a mind askin him months later if it was sore,   come on lads see how long it takes for the photo it was in the motherwell times and national press

11 minutes ago, smiddy said:

no no either hertz as i thought or as u say hibs but deffo from them it was the guy porter from jerviston that got it in the head there is still photos ( someone on here will find them ) to back me up he was being led round the track by a polis     a mind askin him months later if it was sore,   come on lads see how long it takes for the photo it was in the motherwell times and national press

Not a picture, but this Hibs fan seems to remember it too https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?205045-Has-football-violence-ever-discouraged-you-from-attending-matches&p=2742681&viewfull=1#post2742681

Scottish Cup Quarter Final

11 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

well hope someone on here digs the porter photo out , am no tech savvy but someone will find it , mustv been the

"in hooligan thing " in those days tho

1 hour ago, steelman1991 said:

Remember  the incident ……. was in the junior choir down the front (12  1 St year at Dalziel) ……I m sure the daily rancid/sunday mail had a picture of the unfortunate dart board head

9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I thought the referee's performance and St Johnstone's antics warranted a separate post.

Colin Steven was never in control of the game and quite bluntly St Johnstone took the p**s. He was too easily conned and made a constant stream of inconsistent and erroneous calls. How Phillips wasn't sent off I'll never know. The incident near the end when he went down injured, told to get up and go off and then fell down a yard or two from the touch line! Farcical. Craig Levein's influence all over that! Am I right in thinking too that players are not allowed to harangue the referee during the VAR process? Not completely one sided though as Butcher should have been carded. He spoiled the game and made one serious wrong call that affected the result.

St Johnstone were as we thought they would be....cynical streetwise and physical. Gamesmanship started even before kick off. The piutch was bumpy and heavy. Why then heavily water our goal (the lowest part of the pitch and where water drains to btw) before 3pm? This sort of practice should be stopped by the SFA. Also one of the more eagle eyed members of our group spotted a wheeze with the ball boys several times. The ball goes out of play for a throw in; ballboy A collects it and passes it to ballboy B 10 yards further up the pitch who then throws/places the ball on the pitch for the St Johnstone player to take the throw in thereby sneakily gaining 10 yards. 

Rant over.

Stevens first game as grade 1 ref in SPFL was in May2019 ( 2013 till then  worked up through lower leagues)at SJFC when chopped off a perfectly good goal and denied us a stonewall penalty…….since then he has BUMBLED refereeing around SPFL championship div 1 etc……he has NEVER  officiated in a game involving the ugly sisters  ( perfectly good reason ) as he is diabolical………. Yet week in week out non Old firm teams are allocated these clowns until they are deemed good enough…is it different rules they play with ???????

7 hours ago, smiddy said:

Fair took me back there Smiddy

Thanks👍

30 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Stevens first game as grade 1 ref in SPFL was in May2019 ( 2013 till then  worked up through lower leagues)at SJFC when chopped off a perfectly good goal and denied us a stonewall penalty…….since then he has BUMBLED refereeing around SPFL championship div 1 etc……he has NEVER  officiated in a game involving the ugly sisters  ( perfectly good reason ) as he is diabolical………. Yet week in week out non Old firm teams are allocated these clowns until they are deemed good enough…is it different rules they play with ???????

Give him the next Old Firm game and he won't bother anyone after that.

• Thanks 1