Motherwell v Ross County - 06/02/24

MJC

9 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Livi know they are down so why go to the cost of sacking him when he's done a great job over the years and may bring them back up.

Very true, you would think. Similar to Billy Reid at Accies, 22 games without a win and relegated, but he survived another 2 seasons. 

4 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Very true, you would think. Similar to Billy Reid at Accies, 22 games without a win and relegated, but he survived another 2 seasons. 

I read an interesting article a couple of years ago about the success rate of clubs in trouble that changed managers into the second half of the season.

Overall, it made no difference to their chances of avoiding relegation. The clubs that didn't change had the same (poor) percentage of relegation and survival as those that did.

This was even more true for EPL clubs that changed managers with 10 or 11 games left in the season in a desperate attempt to secure survival.

The reason is obvious, of course - at that stage of the season, you are stuck with the players that put you in that position. It doesn't, however, stop clubs hoping they will be the ones that buck the trend.

Having said all that, Adams leaving was obviously the right call. I've never seen a more miserable manager at any club and it must have been a hellish environment for the players to be working in. The exact opposite of what you need to try and turn things around.

By all accounts Martindale is the opposite, and has full backing of the Chairman and CEO because - to use that worn out phrase - he gets the club and has performed a few miracles there over the season. It sounds like if he does part ways, it will only because he's had enough himself.

As poor as they have been, I still wouldn't put it past Livi to put a few results together and get themselves into 11th spot. They remind me of the Accies team that kept finding a way to stay up and playing on that plastic can give them an additional edge in their home games.

On 2/7/2024 at 5:08 PM, weeyin said:

If there is any striker out there converting "at least 1 in 3" they won't be anywhere near Fir Park. I'd be surprised if even Haaland is turning in those figures.

Mikael Mandron and Marley Watkins have 1 in 3 records this season, to name but two.  Biereth was better than 1 in 3.

Actually so does Theo Bair over the season but I'd still urge caution on Bair after a 5 or 6 match spell and the fact that he missed so many chances midweek says to me he's still got a lot to learn  in the art of the striker.

Bair has made progress but let's not get ahead of ourself.  

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Mikael Mandron and Marley Watkins have 1 in 3 records this season, to name but two.  Biereth was better than 1 in 3.

Actually so does Theo Bair over the season but I'd still urge caution on Bair after a 5 or 6 match spell and the fact that he missed so many chances midweek says to me he's still got a lot to learn  in the art of the striker.

Bair has made progress but let's not get ahead of ourself.  

mandron is less than 1 in 4, so is watkins

9 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

mandron is less than 1 in 4, so is watkins

They are  3.3/3.4 

Maybe you round up 0.4 but the rest of the world doesn't.

In any case the point is you don't need an elite level striker to have that sort of conversion rate.  

And the deeper point is that players need to be judged on longer spells of form rather than 5 or 6 match purple patches.

4 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

They are  3.3/3.4 

In any case the point is you don't need an elite level striker to have that sort of conversion rate.  

And the deeper point is that players need to be judged on longer spells of form rather than 5 or 6 match purple patches.

Mandron has 5 in 22, Watkins 5 in 23. If that's not worse than 1 in 4, i'm not sure what is. 

We should have taken the opportunity, when 3 0 up and cruising, to make more changes. This would have given fringe/ new players more game time and given others more of a rest. A few of us said this at the time. An opportunity spurned. 

12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

We should have taken the opportunity, when 3 0 up and cruising, to make more changes. This would have given fringe/ new players more game time and given others more of a rest. A few of us said this at the time. An opportunity spurned. 

In hindsight I certainly agree with you.

19 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

They are  3.3/3.4 

How many goals has Mandron scored and how many games has he played?

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

A more experienced manager would've done exactly as you said. Instead, we had to rely on undercooked subs tonight once the going got tough. 

Here’s a good reason I always try to check things before posting. 
Just been catching up on here, read a couple of post above and thought they were talking about Wednesday’s game - luckily I thought it a bit strange after I’d written my reply so checked what thread I was reading before posting this :) 

Kmcalpin, SinOz and wellfan, are you all seriously saying that at 3-0 up after only 30 minutes any manager should be making subs?

Madness!

The subbed players would be raging and if the game had still ended 3-3 this forum quite rightly would have been in meltdown at Kettlewell’s decision to do so. 

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

Kmcalpin, SinOz and wellfan, are you all seriously saying that at 3-0 up after only 30 minutes any manager should be making subs?

Madness!

The subbed players would be raging and if the game had still ended 3-3 this forum quite rightly would have been in meltdown at Kettlewell’s decision to do so. 

I can't speak for anyone else but I never suggested that substitutions should be made at the 30 minute mark precisely. Changes could have been made at half time or slightly after, when we were 3 0 up and cruising. In any event it would depend on how it was communicated to those taken off ie "saving you for Friday."

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I can't speak for anyone else but I never suggested that substitutions should be made at the 30 minute mark precisely. Changes could have been made at half time or slightly after, when we were 3 0 up and cruising. In any event it would depend on how it was communicated to those taken off ie "saving you for Friday."

I know, what I was trying to say was that I was catching up with posts that I hadn’t read and as I read through the posts I wrongly thought they were on the Aberdeen game thread but luckily I checked before posting  - posted it for a bit of a laugh and a cautionary tale to read carefully and check before posting - reread my original post ;)

7 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

Here’s a good reason I always try to check things before posting. 
Just been catching up on here, read a couple of post above and thought they were talking about Wednesday’s game - luckily I thought it a bit strange after I’d written my reply so checked what thread I was reading before posting this :) 

Kmcalpin, SinOZ and wellfan, are you all seriously saying that at 3-0 up after only 30 minutes any manager should be making subs?

Madness!

Don’t think I said that after 30 minutes make subs SK should have changed it to another phase see how that went then look at subs. We are all entitled to an opinion on here thanks for your opinion. 🍻
COYW

8 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

No. Tactical changes to combat another manager making 2 subs to alter their formation doesn't always require subs to be made.