2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

20 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

And the fact that we cant say no really because we aren't a wealthy club. I do think we do sell ourselves short at times though because we have had players who have made that step up and maybe at some point we can hold out for more money for our best players. 

The determining factor in such a situation would be multiple clubs wanting the player. Then, it turns into a bit of a bidding war, but if we have interest from one club and they offer what they're offering, then that's what he's worth in the market. 

We can only ask for more money if we think a club is willing to pay it. They can easily say "no thanks, we'll go elsewhere" and then we get nothing.

The thing I will give our scouts credit for is they always find at least 1 half-decent St. There's also times tho i'm sat questioning if they have a brain. Over the years some of the signings have been exceptionally bad

On Lennon Miller, I think Kettlewell addressed it quite recently...

"I'm not worried about it and are we sitting here with a figure? Definitely not. You see Lennon walking about the place and playing out on the pitch. We're as relaxed as he is.

"He signed an extension to his deal we were absolutely delighted to get. To secure the services of a very good player for a longer period of time is a good thing for us. He's come through the academy and from our side Lennon knows, we know, and his parents and agent and everyone who's behind him have all got that same focus.

"That focus is that more minutes and games at this club is only going to enhance his reputation and help enhance him as a player. We know he'll have goals and so will his family. But if we can work together in the fashion I believe we have done then that's going to line the stars up and ensure he goes on to have a very prosperous career."

Unless a really good offer comes in that appeals to both club and player he'll be here next season I think.

42 minutes ago, David said:

On Lennon Miller, I think Kettlewell addressed it quite recently...

"I'm not worried about it and are we sitting here with a figure? Definitely not. You see Lennon walking about the place and playing out on the pitch. We're as relaxed as he is.

"He signed an extension to his deal we were absolutely delighted to get. To secure the services of a very good player for a longer period of time is a good thing for us. He's come through the academy and from our side Lennon knows, we know, and his parents and agent and everyone who's behind him have all got that same focus.

"That focus is that more minutes and games at this club is only going to enhance his reputation and help enhance him as a player. We know he'll have goals and so will his family. But if we can work together in the fashion I believe we have done then that's going to line the stars up and ensure he goes on to have a very prosperous career."

Unless a really good offer comes in that appeals to both club and player he'll be here next season I think.

Good news, we'll definitley cashing in on Bair then tho

1 hour ago, thewelllfan said:

Good news, we'll definitley cashing in on Bair then tho

I hope not but you might be right. I’d like to see the club and Bair work out an extension that sees him stay here another season and both player and club go on to make even more money than if they parted ways just now. The questions being, do both parties have the confidence that Bair will continue to improve? How much of a risk is it that an injury could thwart any plans? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I hope not but you might be right. I’d like to see the club and Bair work out an extension that sees him stay here another season and both player and club go on to make even more money than if they parted ways just now. The questions being, do both parties have the confidence that Bair will continue to improve? How much of a risk is it that an injury could thwart any plans? 

Maybe along the lines of new 2 year contract at higher rate. Ok so he could be getting even more if he moves. So, offer him a cut of any transfer fee we will get to make up for the difference. Could be a percentage or could be a set amount. Similar to a signing on fee but instead of getting it at sign on he gets it when he transfers. 

22 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I don't think if we keep him for another season hell get the same number of goals and assits think with Spittal leaving his numbers will drop off to probably 15 G/A next season. So personally I'd take the money and try get Simon Murray if County end up going down

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

I don't think if we keep him for another season hell get the same number of goals and assits think with Spittal leaving his numbers will drop off to probably 15 G/A next season. So personally I'd take the money and try get Simon Murray if County end up going down

I think Murray will have a fair few offers that we would probably struggle to match - plus he's 32 - which some folks probably wouldn't be happy with.  Although to be fair so is Van Veen and a lot of fans wanted him back. Just saw an interview with Kettlewell and he's just said that it's going to take a significant offer to prise Theo away from Motherwell. 

11 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I think Murray will have a fair few offers that we would probably struggle to match - plus he's 32 - which some folks probably wouldn't be happy with.  Although to be fair so is Van Veen and a lot of fans wanted him back. Just saw an interview with Kettlewell and he's just said that it's going to take a significant offer to prise Theo away from Motherwell. 

On Murray you may well be right but we still should be in for him. On Bair if we get anything around 1.5M for him your taking it and running only way we'd get more is if there's a bidding war. 

Just now, thewelllfan said:

On Murray you may well be right but we still should be in for him. On Bair if we get anything around 1.5M for him your taking it and running only way we'd get more is if there's a bidding war. 

It depends what the club feels is significant. The Bristol City rumour was 750k initially then it went to 750k plus 500k add ons. The only other club I've seen that are supposed to be interested in him at this stage is Charlton. 

1 hour ago, wellgirl said:

It depends what the club feels is significant. The Bristol City rumour was 750k initially then it went to 750k plus 500k add ons. The only other club I've seen that are supposed to be interested in him at this stage is Charlton. 

We won't really know what's on the table anyway because this kind of thing is very fluid. One team could sound us out about Theo but also look at other options, and I'm sure we'll see more than one inquiry this summer.

For me, considering Bair's track record outside of this current season, anything over £1 million in total is good value. 

Not to mention, the player is likely all too aware of where he's been and how he's performed in his career. He'd be absolutely mad not to cash in on his best season yet and try to secure as high a salary as he can on a solid three—or four-year contract.

6 minutes ago, DunnyMFC said:

Think £1m would be good bit of business for a guy who wasn't rated at the start and we got for free.

It absolutely would but I'm still going to be very sorry to see him go if he does leave. 

3 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Maybe along the lines of new 2 year contract at higher rate. Ok so he could be getting even more if he moves. So, offer him a cut of any transfer fee we will get to make up for the difference. Could be a percentage or could be a set amount. Similar to a signing on fee but instead of getting it at sign on he gets it when he transfers. 

I think that would be the dream scenario.

Theo stays another year, develops more, a Championship club come in with a big offer next close season and he moves on to bigger wages in a really strong position to hold down his place and we gain a significant fee.

Everyone is happy.

Edit: But anything over £1m I would expect us to sell.

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Theo stays another year, develops more, a Championship club come in with a big offer next close season and he moves on to bigger wages in a really strong position to hold down his place and we gain a significant fee.

Everyone is happy.

Or, to play devil's advocate, Theo stays another year, doesn't replicate his form, interest in him dwindles, and the club loses a potential million-pound transfer fee, and the player loses the chance to sign a multi-year contract at substantially higher wages.

No one is happy.

11 minutes ago, David said:

Or, to play devil's advocate, Theo stays another year, doesn't replicate his form, interest in him dwindles, and the club loses a potential million-pound transfer fee, and the player loses the chance to sign a multi-year contract at substantially higher wages.

No one is happy.

Why cut out the last line of my post that qualified my comment?

I agree, a million pounds for someone that looked like a "sem-pro" player a year ago is good business! 😉

26 minutes ago, David said:

No one is happy.

We lost Spittal (and plenty of other players) for nothing so that's the chance clubs have to take at times.

And surely if Theo stays another year it will be because he wants to? We could say the same about Lennon Miller who extended his contract by a year. Folk seemed to be quite happy to keep him for another season. 

14 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I agree, a million pounds for someone that looked like a "sem-pro" player a year ago is good business! 😉

It's outstanding business, and one thing we need to consider is how Theo himself would feel. Whatever he's earning just now, it's fairly safe to say that any club that puts £750,000-£1 million on the table is going to offer him the kind of wages he very likely never thought he'd get.

I'll be interested to see how he does in the next few seasons wherever he goes because as good as he's been this year, it still doesn't change the fact that before this season, he scored 8 goals in 94 games, an average of 0.08 goals per game. 

Either it all suddenly clicked for him at the age of 24, and he's now a double-digit goalscorer per season, Kettlewell is the striker-whisperer and succeeded where 3 or 4 other managers failed, or it's a fluke season. 

I'd rather find out the answer to that question from afar while Motherwell is close to a million quid richer.

13 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

We could say the same about Lennon Miller who extended his contract by a year. Folk seemed to be quite happy to keep him for another season.

Lennon is an entirely different proposition. He's looked like a top prospect since he was a kid, which is why he made his debut less than a week after his 16th birthday. 

He's got obvious quality, and barring an unforeseen injury or something along those lines, his form isn't likely to suddenly dip. He isn't a one-season wonder at this point. He's far more likely to improve than I'd say Theo is.

2 minutes ago, David said:

It's outstanding business, and one thing we need to consider is how Theo himself would feel. Whatever he's earning just now, it's fairly safe to say that any club that puts £750,000-£1 million on the table is going to offer him the kind of wages he very likely never thought he'd get.

I'll be interested to see how he does in the next few seasons wherever he goes because as good as he's been this year, it still doesn't change the fact that before this season, he scored 8 goals in 94 games, an average of 0.08 goals per game. 

Either it all suddenly clicked for him at the age of 24, and he's now a double-digit goalscorer per season, Kettlewell is the striker-whisperer and succeeded where 3 or 4 other managers failed, or it's a fluke season. 

I'd rather find out the answer to that question from afar while Motherwell is close to a million quid richer.

Ketts is the striker whisperer for sure!

Just look at KVV!

Hopefully we are a million quid to the good and he can get a tune out of Ollie Shaw! 😆😆😆

Just now, joewarkfanclub said:

Just look at KVV!

Hopefully we are a million quid to the good and he can get a tune out of Ollie Shaw! 😆😆😆

There's only so much even Kettlewell can do!

But aye, I'd take the money, thank Theo for his time and efforts, congratulate him on his significant wage rise, and then try to find the next diamond in the rough or "project."

Just now, David said:

Lennon is an entirely different proposition. He's looked like a top prospect since he was a kid, which is why he made his debut less than a week after his 16th birthday. 

He's got obvious quality, and barring an unforeseen injury or something along those lines, his form isn't likely to suddenly dip. He isn't a one-season wonder at this point. He's far more likely to improve than I'd say Theo is.

I agree with you. But I don't think Theo is a one season wonder. He's put in a lot of graft to improve his game. That's very clear. He spoke about the work he's done with the club to improve. 

2 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Just look at KVV!

I might be in the minority but I would rather we kept Bair if we can get him to sign on for another season. 

Just now, wellgirl said:

I agree with you. But I don't think Theo is a one season wonder. He's put in a lot of graft to improve his game. That's very clear. He spoke about the work he's done with the club to improve. 

At this point in time, he's the very epitome of a one-season wonder. If he goes on to replicate his performances and goalscoring exploits next season, then he won't be, but at this particular moment in time? He's done what he's done for one season. 

I sincerely hope he progresses upwards and onwards wherever he's playing in the next few years. He seems like a nice guy, and I hope we're not talking about him in years to come as that guy who scored a lot of goals for one season before disappearing into obscurity shortly after.