2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

1 minute ago, David said:

I doubt it. While we're all over here slagging Kelly off, we conveniently forget the absolute bomb scares we've had previously.

That's the problem with having a few decent keepers over the past 15 years or so. Fans think that they're easy to come by.

Agree. 

11 minutes ago, David said:

I doubt it. While we're all over here slagging Kelly off, we conveniently forget the absolute bomb scares we've had previously.

That's the problem with having a few decent keepers over the past 15 years or so. Fans think that they're easy to come by.

I have certainly criticised Kelly but not "slagged him off".  I have said many times that without him 3 years ago we would have been relegated.  However.......he has not been the same keeper this season, has made great saves but doesn't inspire confidence and doesn't command his area.

But also at same time there have been a lot far worse keepers than him in recent years for us

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, David said:

We've also had a lot of good ones in the past as well , but we're not living in the past .

Kelly has been poor all season and deserves his share of criticism but the guys in front of him have been worse imo,the level of goals we have conceded all season has been farcical,how many free headers and goals from cross balls is that now.kelly hasn't installed any confidence but at the same time he's had no protection,not one of our defenders has done there job properly and consistently throughout the season.we have a poor selection of centre half's to pick from and have to move as many on over the summer as possible and start from scratch or we will just be at a disadvantage before a ball is even kicked next season.

36 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I have certainly criticised Kelly but not "slagged him off".  I have said many times that without him 3 years ago we would have been relegated.  However.......he has not been the same keeper this season, has made great saves but doesn't inspire confidence and doesn't command his area.

But also at same time there have been a lot far worse keepers than him in recent years for us

If Kelly was just as good at commanding his area, distribution, and coming for crosses as he is at shot-stopping, he wouldn't be at Motherwell. 

Players who are competent in all areas and who consistently play relatively well will draw interest from further up the food chain. 

I'm not saying we should retain Kelly or that he's worth what he's getting at the moment, but the notion that some fans have that we can simply let him walk and find another keeper who's just as good or even better for less money is unlikely.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, David said:

If Kelly was just as good at commanding his area, distribution, and coming for crosses as he is at shot-stopping, he wouldn't be at Motherwell. 

Players who are competent in all areas and who consistently play relatively well will draw interest from further up the food chain. 

I'm not saying we should retain Kelly or that he's worth what he's getting at the moment, but the notion that some fans have that we can simply let him walk and find another keeper who's just as good or even better for less money is unlikely.

We got Carson for 10k which was a massive bargain looking back 

24 minutes ago, mfc said:

Kelly has been poor all season and deserves his share of criticism but the guys in front of him have been worse imo,the level of goals we have conceded all season has been farcical,how many free headers and goals from cross balls is that now.kelly hasn't installed any confidence but at the same time he's had no protection,not one of our defenders has done there job properly and consistently throughout the season.we have a poor selection of centre half's to pick from and have to move as many on over the summer as possible and start from scratch or we will just be at a disadvantage before a ball is even kicked next season.

Not sure if they've been worse but yes our defence has been poor this season as folk know. 

26 minutes ago, mfc said:

Kelly has been poor all season and deserves his share of criticism but the guys in front of him have been worse imo,the level of goals we have conceded all season has been farcical,how many free headers and goals from cross balls is that now.

We can't lay all the blame at either Kelly's door nor that of the central defence. Both are equally to blame. There are other factors too  of course such as a weak central midfield. However Kelly and and our central defenders are incompatible and are not right for each other. If we keep Kelly  then the central defence needs to be cleared out or if we keep the central defence then Kelly needs to depart. In reality a combibation of both is likely.   

Kelly appears to be (statisticly) the worst keeper in the league this season. Granted, some of that is down to the shite infront of him. No chance he is the lowest paid keeper in the league however. There certainly is merit in seeing what is out there that could freshen us up.

Our goals against is really poor. 

Kelly has made mistakes that cost goals , no question about that. 

last season SK came in and tightened things up with 3 central defenders .  

this season the reverse is true , we have not defended our box , we must have more crosses into our box , more unforced errors than the majority of clubs . 

kelly takes his share but as do the full team , from front to back our ball retention and error rate is poor.

we need to change personnel for next season or it will be more of the same . 

the issue for me is I don’t believe the club know how to recruit , our best players have been our youngsters and some loanees 

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

the issue for me is I don’t believe the club know how to recruit , our best players have been our youngsters and some loanees 

It's not the club it's Kettlewell and Daws. We had an opportunity to get rid of them and chose not to. Now we are relying on them for probably our biggest ever rebuild.

Kettlewell seems to know he's not got what it takes in the transfer market which is why he made no attempt to bring in a centre back in either window. Because of our poor business in the last two windows we are now looking at him needing to sign 6 or 7 players that contribute plus a few loans. There is zero reason to believe he can manage it. 

• Haha 1

I hope Andy Halliday hasn’t signed a pre-contract for next season. If so we should be cancelling it pronto. Can’t see how he’ll be any use to us next season. He’s miles off it.

some of Davor’s recent  performances have been poor too. We may need a full set of starting midfielders next year if Miller is inexplicably sold.

I would be happy with Casey mcginn and blaney next season rotating around a new commanding centre half.

kelly’s times up

7 hours ago, Big Stall said:

Whacked off p&b. Im sure plenty can be said in support & in opposition of their veracity.....

Screenshot_20240428_005212_WhatsApp.jpg

That is based solely on clean sheets, here is one that shows that Buckland and Hart are joint worst as they haven't saved a single league penalty between them.

Lies, damned lies, etc

image.thumb.png.4aa60441e3b3c4cc215f9df6277952a7.png

1 hour ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

some of Davor’s recent  performances have been poor too. We may need a full set of starting midfielders next year if Miller is inexplicably sold.

I would be happy with Casey mcginn and blaney next season rotating around a new commanding centre half.

kelly’s times up

Pretty much agree with that, although I'm still not 100% convinced of Blaney yet. Maybe 2 central defenders? 

We need a new keeper. Kelly is too expensive for what we get from him now. We either want someone who can command their box or stop shots very well, but we likely can't have both. 

Depending on what formation Kettlewell settles on for next season, and with the defensive aspect of our game being one of our major weaknesses, there’s a need for a least 3-4 new defensive players, and I include the full/wing-backs in that assessment. 

We need a couple of midfielders and a good bloody winger. What we don't need is several guys past their peak. 

We also need another striker as I’m not sure about Ferrie so far, unfortunately. 

So, I make that at least 7 or so new first-team players are required, and a massive clearout. Several players can go immediately, and Kettlewell needs to be brutal in this cull. 

If Kettlewell (and Daws) doesn't get his third transfer window right, and it's his biggest challenge yet, he’ll be gone by Christmas.

2 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

I hope Andy Halliday hasn’t signed a pre-contract for next season. If so we should be cancelling it pronto. Can’t see how he’ll be any use to us next season. He’s miles off it.

kelly’s times up

He has already been signed for another year