2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

3 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Surely we decide if we want to keep him or let him go. And the price we let him go for. 

Yeah, we can decide to keep him, but right now he's a sellable asset, so he can't be allowed to walk for nothing. As it stands, that means we'll have to accept the price someone is willing to pay, either in the summer or next January.

33 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

The value of any player is generally determined according to who's selling, not who's buying. They'd pay more if he was with an English club, because they'd have to.

This ties into the investor/WS topic. If we didn’t have to sell to survive we could name our price and either get more money or keep him longer and not worry about missing out on a transfer fee. 
     So in our current situation you are probably correct in as much that we don’t want to risk loosing out on what is a big chunk of money for us. 

31 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Yeah, we can decide to keep him, but right now he's a sellable asset, so he can't be allowed to walk for nothing. As it stands, that means we'll have to accept the price someone is willing to pay, either in the summer or next January.

I don't agree. Why should we always have to see players as assets we can sell rather than trying to get them to sign a new contract 

Miller signed an extension. Why shouldn't Theo

We need to remember he is only on a 2yr contract. I am not looking to sell him but if we get a good offer be wise to cash in.   Reminds me of Connor Sammon at Killie, had 1 good season, derby paid £2 million and he done her haw afterwards 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

We need to remember he is only on a 2yr contract. I am not looking to sell him but if we get a good offer be wise to cash in.   Reminds me of Connor Sammon at Killie, had 1 good season, derby paid £2 million and he done her haw afterwards 

750k is not a good offer in my view 

3 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I don't agree. Why should we always have to see players as assets we can sell rather than trying to get them to sign a new contract 

Miller signed an extension. Why shouldn't Theo

I'm not sure what Miller's decision has to do with Bair's plans. And that extension won't stop him being sold when a decent offer comes in. There's absolutely no chance Lennon Miller will still be here next season unless something goes badly wrong with his career.

49 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Surely we decide if we want to keep him or let him go. And the price we let him go for. 

In the real world a player is only as valuable as what another team are prepared to pay, no offers no sale and he walks for nothing next summer.

• Like 2

Just now, bobbybingo said:

I'm not sure what Miller's decision has to do with Bair's plans. And that extension won't stop him being sold when a decent offer comes in. There's absolutely no chance Lennon Miller will still be here next season unless something goes badly wrong with his career.

I didn't say that Millers extension had anything to do with Bairs plans. Just that if Miller signed an extension why shouldnt Bair. Anyway. I'll shut up and let you get on with it. 

Just now, Spiderpig said:

In the real world a player is only as valuable as what another team are prepared to pay, no offers no sale and he walks for nothing next summer.

But we surely have to weigh up the goals he could score for us if we keep him 

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

We can keep him till next summer, if his agent has a sniff of a better deal for him elsewhere he wont sign an extension and let his contract run down and we get feck all.

So if that happens the club will say yes take the money on offer and say thanks Theo best of luck with your career.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

That will certainly factor into out decision. And/or selling him in January.

Of course the ideal scenario would be extending his contract another 12 months with a guaranteed release clause for a value both parties think is fair. 

The risk for us then is he is terrible next season and we get zero offers. 

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

We can keep him till next summer, if his agent has a sniff of a better deal for him elsewhere he wont sign an extension and let his contract run down and we get feck all.

So if that happens the club will say yes take the money on offer and say thanks Theo best of luck with your career.

The money on offer is shit. If that's actually on offer and not a rumour. I do get your point. But they can afford more and we should hold out for it 

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

The risk for us then is he is terrible next season and we get zero offers. 

I give you Kevin Van Veen we cashed in perfectly on him, as we did with Michael Higdon. The Motherwell way is cash in when the decent cash is on offer.

• Like 1

Just now, Spiderpig said:

I give you Kevin Van Veen we cashed in perfectly on him, as we did with Michael Higdon. The Motherwell way is cash in when the decent cash is on offer.

750k isn't decent cash. We don't need it that badly 

9 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I didn't say that Millers extension had anything to do with Bairs plans. Just that if Miller signed an extension why shouldnt Bair. Anyway. I'll shut up and let you get on with it. 

We disagree on how this should/will go, that's all. No need for anyone to shut up.

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Absolutely. Moult and Scott too. 

2 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Shankland 28. Has no pace and valued 5 mil. Bair must be worth half that at least.

Probably something to do with his 204 career goals vs Theo's 21. 

• Like 3