2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

10 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

he doesn't owe us anything, we may think he does but the reality is he looks after himself and no one else. Guys like Turnbull and Lennon are the exception to the rule and they tried to look after themselves and the club.

I think it's a bit different re Turnbull and Lennon given the fee Turnbull was sold for and what Lennon will probably go for. And to be fair right now it's just speculation re Theo moving on 

2 hours ago, David said:

Of course it's acceptable to have those opinions.

The difference is, it's usually the people who want to wait to see what a manager can do or who want to wait for full information on investment who are the ones telling others to basically shut up. 

There's room for all types of opinions. That's the whole point of this website. We're fans. If we only ever discussed facts or waited until October or November to critique a player then this place would be a ghost town most of the time.

Not sure Ive seen anyone telling another poster to shut up in respect of the investment stuff or indeed opinions of players / the manager.

The ones who tend to be called out are those who are negative about absolutely everything regardless of context.

Ive had some lively debates with your good self and others at times over opinions. But as you yourself said previously, thats what this place is about.

I think we can both agree though that we were both wrong about Bair. But he is better than "semi-pro" level! 😉

• Like 1

Just now, wellgirl said:

I think it's a bit different re Turnbull and Lennon given the fee Turnbull was sold for and what Lennon will probably go for. And to be fair right now it's just speculation re Theo moving on 

The fee is immaterial. Neither Turnbull or Lennon needed to sign extended contracts but did so to make sure the club got a payment for their investment. They knew they were / are going and could have left for nothing but chose to help the club . As I said they are exceptions.  Whatever Bair does it is extremely unlikely if he knows he's a wanted man and likely to be leaving that he'd sign an extended contract to ensure Motherwell were taken care of. He, like the vast majority, will when the time comes piss off without so much as a backward glance to the club. Football is full of guys like Chris Cadden..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not sure Ive seen anyone telling another poster to shut up in respect of the investment stuff or indeed opinions of players / the manager.

The ones who tend to be called out are those who are negative about absolutely everything regardless of context.

Ive had some lively debates with your good self and others at times over opinions. But as you yourself said previously, thats what this place is about.

I think we can both agree though that we were both wrong about Bair. But he is better than "semi-pro" level! 😉

There are a number of thoroughly dislikeable folk on here , who cannot debate with anyone with resorting to abuse and insults because you may disagree with them. I just make it clear to these types I will not discuss anything with them and move on. I don't know if there is a block facility of this site but if not it could be worth getting..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

The fee is immaterial. Neither Turnbull or Lennon needed to sign extended contracts but did so to make sure the club got a payment for their investment. They knew they were / are going and could have left for nothing but chose to help the club . As I said they are exceptions.  Whatever Bair does it is extremely unlikely if he knows he's a wanted man and likely to be leaving that he'd sign an extended contract to ensure Motherwell were taken care of. He, like the vast majority, will when the time comes piss off without so much as a backward glance to the club. Football is full of guys like Chris Cadden..

To be fair. Lots of players do the same as you say. Like Spittal. We'll get nothing for him. Theo is contracted till the end of 2025 anyway. 

Just now, FirParkCornerExile said:

There are a number of thoroughly dislikeable folk on here , who cannot debate with anyone with resorting to abuse and insults because you may disagree with them. I just make it clear to these types I will not discuss anything with them and move on. I don't know if there is a block facility of this site but if not it could be worth getting..

There's an ignore button. 

45 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Cheers im gonna have a field day.

Trouble is when someone quotes them you see it or if someone replies to that person and others chip in you end up reading stuff and not understanding the context. Best to just scroll past their posts 

7 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Heard on radio and p and b that were linked with Stefan Scougal of Alloa. as replacement for Spital. Think he used to be ok at Livi prior to Sheffield move but too old now and even less pace than Spital 

Genuinely interested - who came out with that on radio?

8 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Heard on radio and p and b that were linked with Stefan Scougal of Alloa. as replacement for Spital. Think he used to be ok at Livi prior to Sheffield move but too old now and even less pace than Spital 

Just a rumour of course, but I hope there's no substance to it. Lauded as a real coup when he chose St Johnstone instead of us but he flopped in Perth. At the time Saints fans said he was too small and lightweight for the league - Tierney Mkii?

9 hours ago, robsterwood said:

God I hope not.

17 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Easton and Scougall are definitely skillful players, if SK thinks they can cut it in spl , I've got faith in that ..it's good we are looking at Scottish players from lower leagues 

I agree with that but all those players are 30 or older by the time the new season starts. 

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just a rumour of course, but I hope there's no substance to it. Lauded as a real coup when he chose St Johnstone instead of us but he flopped in Perth. At the time Saints fans said he was too small and lightweight for the league - Tierney Mkii?

Agree, similarities with Tierney . Seen him when we played Alloa in the cup and think physicality of our defenders was too much and also struggled with pace of the game. 

11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I agree with that but all those players are 30 or older by the time the new season starts. 

According to 10 years of Premier League data, the prime age for a midfielder is 25-26, then there is a drop-off after 30.

Davor, Slattery, and Paton are all at their peak with a few good years left, Spittal is at his peak, Miller is just getting started, and Halliday, Easton and Scougall have peaked. Do we need that many midfielders in their early 30s? No. At best, one or two would be worthwhile and experienced additions to the squad. 

I'm all for signing local players, but let's not become a convalescent home for the older ones.

https://theathletic.com/2935360/2021/11/15/what-age-do-players-in-different-positions-peak/

• Like 1