Hearts v Motherwell 17/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, numpty said:

Or perhaps he's the best striker in the league because he's good at losing his markers.

I'm far from convinced he's the best striker in the league, although he may be the top scorer. Would he score as many if he played with Livingston, Ross County or St Johnstone? 

54 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

So with our current players what’s our starting back 3?  SOD  Casey  McGinn ??

Our best back 3, as a unit, and I stress as a unit, is probably McGinn, Casey and Blaney. SOD and McGinn shouldn't be in the same back 3 except in a dire emergency. 

Now I'm not saying that it's a good back 3 but only that it's our best and that's a different thing. 

If we offer Butcher and Obika any terms come end of the season then we have just threw the money down the drain.We will never ever get a full season out of them ever again.

Big Bev for all his faults is worth keeping aound easy target for alot of people but none of the backline can hold head up high this season but then maybe its poor denfence coaching thats to blame who knows.

9 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'm far from convinced he's the best striker in the league, although he may be the top scorer. Would he score as many if he played with Livingston, Ross County or St Johnstone? 

Cmon that is a poor argument.  Would kyogo score as many if he was at those teams?

Shankland has been really good this season and scored lots of different types of goals. He's up there with kyogo and dessers as best in league and is miles in front of them for goals scored. 

19 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Who would your vote go to?

5 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

SK mentioned he's sick fed up with the same basic errors. 

STOP playing the same culprits then Stuart.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  Stop the loyalty to those who hurt us regularly. 

100% spot on pal 

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We are such a frustrating team to watch. We do so many good things in a game and then feck it up by doing some really stupid shit.

We defended well as a team today for tge most part. Hearts have some gifted players and we kept our discipline well and made them play round about us.

The only save Kelly had to make in the first half was McGinns header which he was trying to deflect over the bar.

Second half we started really smartly on the front foot and put them under a fair bit of pressure. There were a fair few chances to get the ball in the net but we couldnt take any of them.

Ultimately we paid for that. Hearts made some positive changes. Vargas being the pick of the bunch. He looks a dangerous player. 

That said the first goal is typical of our season. Straightforward free kick and we let the best striker in the league get a free header at it. I like Mugabi, but his one job in the team is to win headers and he let Shankland get the better if him.

The second goal is a sucker punch in injury time. We were throwing everyone (even Mugabi) forward. Thought SODs was pushed in the back in the run up. Maybe he should be stronger, but Decine got given a foul against seconds earlier for literally nothing. There is no consistency with these things and it makes a mockery of VAR.

Overall, decent performance at a difficult venue. Spittal would have made a difference. Hope whatever his issue is it isnt serious and we see him next week. We will need him. 

Not sure what more SK can do about our defending. Team were clearly well drilled today on their gameplan but individual errors keep costing us. Just need to tough it out until the summer until we can change personnel.

Good post Joe and agree with all. We look well drilled but I felt his subs were poor. If and only if gent was injured he could have brought on buyabu to keep same balance.  After that was hit and hope from him .Seriously bevis rather than obika when chasing game up top. Shankland difference as he's a top player 

5 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

SK mentioned he's sick fed up with the same basic errors. 

STOP playing the same culprits then Stuart.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  Stop the loyalty to those who hurt us regularly. 

Well he can’t do that till next season ‘cause  they’re all at it. 

5 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Cmon that is a poor argument.  Would kyogo score as many if he was at those teams?

Shankland has been really good this season and scored lots of different types of goals. He's up there with kyogo and dessers as best in league and is miles in front of them for goals scored. 

I didn't say he wasn't simply that I'm far from convinced that he is. These labels are often academic and hard to prove one way  or the other. How many goals would the likes of Bair, Vale or other strikers score if they played for Hearts? You might disagree with my conclusion  and that's perfectly fine  but I hope you agree that there is some merit in my argument. 

5 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Who would your vote go to?

I simply don't know although there could be a few candidates. It's a very hard label to determine. To simply state that a player is unquestionably the best striker in a league is very difficult to justify. Obviously the number of goals scored is one crude indicator, but no more than that. 

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

I simply don't know although there could be a few candidates. It's a very hard label to determine. To simply state that a player is unquestionably the best striker in a league is very difficult to justify. Obviously the number of goals scored is one crude indicator, but no more than that. 

How about we settle on he’s the top scorer in the league

I see that Stephen Robinson got involved in an argument today with a fan. Steelboy must have been taking in the Livingston v St Mirren game and was given it to Robinson for old times sake!!

Seriously though, it shows that it does not take much for any of the managers in the league to feel the heat. 

Disappointed today. I actually thought we could sneak a result. Proof positive that a decent striker can be the difference between 3 rd place and a relegation dog fight in this league.

Hope Spittal is fine and back playing soon. Tough week ahead. I would take three points from the next three games however they come.

29 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

If we offer Butcher and Obika any terms come end of the season then we have just threw the money down the drain.We will never ever get a full season out of them ever again.

Big Bev for all his faults is worth keeping aound easy target for alot of people but none of the backline can hold head up high this season but then maybe its poor denfence coaching thats to blame who knows.

Disagree. Cannot see how Butcher has to go but Bevis stays. Bevis is a good guy but he's cost us too many times defensively. 

41 minutes ago, MJC said:

Mugabi has proved time and time again that he just can’t be relied upon. His concentration and position sense are woeful.

I actually completely agree with this. He should have been dropped ages ago but our squad was so thin it would have been harder to do. SOD gets all the pelters. Very rarely Bevis

2 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Disagree. Cannot see how Butcher has to go but Bevis stays. Bevis is a good guy but he's cost us too many times defensively. 

Both need to go,bevis is as much a bombscare now as when he first got In the team,butcher hasn't been the same since his injury.the playing budget the way it is,anybody that isn't performing should be shown the door,our entire defence is a mess and the only positive is that we have a few out of contract,we need to make big changes in the summer to our defence.

4 minutes ago, mfc said:

Both need to go,bevis is as much a bombscare now as when he first got In the team,butcher hasn't been the same since his injury.the playing budget the way it is,anybody that isn't performing should be shown the door,our entire defence is a mess and the only positive is that we have a few out of contract,we need to make big changes in the summer to our defence.

Yup, I wouldnt offer new deals to Bevis or butcher and certainly not Obika.  But that's for end of season 

Just now, grizzlyg said:

Yup, I wouldnt offer new deals to Bevis or butcher and certainly not Obika.  But that's for end of season 

Obika is a definite no,I just hope his sub appearances don't add up to an automatic years extension.