Hearts v Motherwell 17/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

13 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I don't think you can compare them like that. Miller is 17 and has one professional goal, and Paton is 25 and has twelve professional goals. Furthermore, Paton is often asked to play further forward, but Miller isn't. The boy is still growing into the game and learning. 

It wasn't a criticism of Miller, was a poor miss but yep still learning.  I just meant that if Paton had missed that chance there would have been a lot of comments. Just certain players that get a hard time more than others but I reckon that happens at every club

41 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

As ketts has said zonal or man for man are both effective if done properly, it doesn't matter the system if defenders aren't doing their job

Agreed, but more difficult for us as fans to know who is at fault when we’re zonal! Lol

Very simplistic and a bit old school, but I’ve always preferred the “he’s your man make sure he doesn’t score” approach! Although I do get man for man has it’s downside also with players getting blocked off etc

21 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

It wasn't a criticism of Miller, was a poor miss but yep still learning.  I just meant that if Paton had missed that chance there would have been a lot of comments. Just certain players that get a hard time more than others but I reckon that happens at every club

Fair enough. On Paton, however, he's already missed a fair few sitters, so I think any criticism would be merited. He does many things well, and I can see why Kettlewell picks him for that, but his end product is often rotten.

24 minutes ago, couttsy said:

Agreed, but more difficult for us as fans to know who is at fault when we’re zonal! Lol

Very simplistic and a bit old school, but I’ve always preferred the “he’s your man make sure he doesn’t score” approach! Although I do get man for man has it’s downside also with players getting blocked off etc

I agree with the old-school approach in these scenarios. Shankland (and players like him) should be swarmed upon during set pieces into our box, and it can be done without fouling. It's that simple. Being proactive in defence is often easier than being reactive.

5 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Fair enough. On Paton, however, he's already missed a fair few sitters, so I think any criticism would be merited. He does many things well, and I can see why Kettlewell picks him for that, but his end product is often rotten.

Last sentence sounds like my jokes!! 😜😜

• Like 1

Mugabi getting the blame for the first goal is wild. Who exactly was Casey marking?

Almost as ridiculous as Kelly being criticised for not diving for a header he's never getting to "but at least it would have looked better".

Mental. 

As a wee aside to the game, I had a wee look at a couple of other forums just to see if their fans are as bad about ours. Aberdeen's forum makes ours look like a positive love in for the managers and players 🤣 They have spent money in the last few windows, changed managers and have one point more than us. They have one of the best strikers in the league in Miovski and they have multiple posters who reckon everything is pish. There's a section of the support that want Warnock out already.

Looking at the bottom end of the league objectively, three teams have changed manager recently, one has changed again and not one of them has had so much as a 'new manager bounce'. Aberdeen haven't won in five, Hibs have two points from five games, St Johnstone have a point less than us in their last five (that will become two less in their last five today), and Ross Co have a point.

Now I know that this is about us and not them, but in a relegation battle, you need to take account of what your rivals are doing. Realistically, who in the bottom six are going to take anything away from Tyncastle ? We're not going down this year and we're not going to be in a play off spot either. 

• Like 4

Having watched the highlights back, I need to review my opinions at least a little.

First goal Casey is marking no one and has no idea where Shankland is. He definitely has to shoulder some of the blame. I originally thought it was all on Mugabi, and he at least can see Shankland and should react, but if he goes too quickly and the ball is delivered to the man behind him for a free header he gets it in the neck for that as well.

I get the whole zonal marking thing but unless your communication is a helluva lot better than ours appears to be, Id much rather see a defender man to man on their most dangerous player.

Its a collective shambles.

At the game, second goal, I though SODs was fouled. He clearly isnt. He needs to be stronger there, so that ones on him.

6 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Having watched the highlights back, I need to review my opinions at least a little.

First goal Casey is marking no one and has no idea where Shankland is. He definitely has to shoulder some of the blame. I originally thought it was all on Mugabi, and he at least can see Shankland and should react, but if he goes too quickly and the ball is delivered to the man behind him for a free header he gets it in the neck for that as well.

I get the whole zonal marking thing but unless your communication is a helluva lot better than ours appears to be, Id much rather see a defender man to man on their most dangerous player.

Its a collective shambles.

At the game, second goal, I though SODs was fouled. He clearly isnt. He needs to be stronger there, so that ones on him.

Agree, Mugabi has been unfairly blamed, probably because he’s the guy closest to Shankland as he scores but he wasn’t marking him at the start and you could see by his reaction that he was pissed off at the time. 
SOD will (or should be) embarrassed at the second as he didn’t see the other hearts player and possibly when he did see him tried not to collide with him and give away a penalty but his fall looks comical- these things happen. 

For set pieces you get touch tight, block, harry and harass your opponent to stop him getting a free run at goal. To have nobody within a yard of Shankland let alone not actually touching him as the ball is played is just so so bad and basic and avoidable. If you do all that and he beats you in the air then fair doos, but to give him a free unblocked run at goal is a shocker.

As for the second goal, O'Donnell is generally quite solid defensively, it's his aimless hoofballs I criticise, but he hasn't covered himself in glory there, needs to be tougher.

Bad bad goals to concede. Story of our season.

Another one of those performances that typifies our season, missed some great chances, and can't defend set pieces.

Annoying that Mandron missed a penalty against Livi, it would be nice to see them totally dead and buried as they now have back-to-back wins going into games against County then us.

On 2/17/2024 at 7:44 PM, wellsince75 said:

SK mentioned he's sick fed up with the same basic errors. 

STOP playing the same culprits then Stuart.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  Stop the loyalty to those who hurt us regularly. 

Okay, so who do we drop? And who do we replace them with?

8 minutes ago, David said:

Okay, so who do we drop? And who do we replace them with?

@David  I''d drop Mugabi, S'OD & Butcher.   Sadly Butcher is a yard shorter of pace than when he joined us. 

This would mean stop playing 3 centre halves and go with a back 4 rather than back 5.

Divine, McGinn,  Casey,  Gent

I'd put the extra man in midfield and have both Miller & Halliday when fit in midfield rather than the either or.