Motherwell v Celtic 25/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

7 hours ago, MJC said:

Yes and a few of them have also won silverware, three times in the last ten year in St.Johnstone’s case. I would certainly prefer that.

That's a separate question but a valid one. The point I'm making here though is that getting points off the Old Firm isn't always a barometer for a successful league season. Would I like to get results against them more often? Of course. But I refuse to get hung up about it. Just think of it as having a couple of bogey teams...

3 hours ago, thewelllfan said:

I agree normally but against a team like Celtic who struggle aireally he could be very useful

Obika isnt very good in the air though. He rarely wins a header. He is much better with the ball into his chest or feet, but Vale can do all of those things and is much quicker. Id love for the big man to he a success, but unless he stays fit enough to get a run of games soon, Im afraid Id be cutting my losses with him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Obika in the team is like starting with 10 men, he offers nothing, Vale has a lot more pace than Obika so id keep him up front with Bair.

Are you suggesting trying to form some sort of a striking partnership between Bair and Vale?

Such a radical notion will never catch on. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

That's a separate question but a valid one. The point I'm making here though is that getting points off the Old Firm isn't always a barometer for a successful league season. Would I like to get results against them more often? Of course. But I refuse to get hung up about it. Just think of it as having a couple of bogey teams...

No it isn't but how anyone could compare that European shite to sticking it to the OF especially in a game that hurts them is beyond me.  

For me there hasn't been a single European game / result that compares to sticking it to the OF.at any time. 

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Kelly (wont be dropped)

McGinn Casey Blaney

Devine Miller Davor Spittal Gent

Vale   Bair

i think he will start ( staunch ) halliday

20 minutes ago, smiddy said:

i think he will start ( staunch ) halliday

Wouldnt be against that, but not sure he will be fit. Still recovering from a calf problem.

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

No it isn't but how anyone could compare that European shite to sticking it to the OF especially in a game that hurts them is beyond me.  

For me there hasn't been a single European game / result that compares to sticking it to the OF.at any time. 

Exactly the way I feel 

My favourite Well games are of course the 1991 final , and another one is the 6-6 comeback against Hibs

Apart from that it is wins against the 2 Glasgow mobs , include a win against the  Airdrie in 2007 which was pleasing 

It is great to get into Europe of course as a club, though definitely wouldn’t be swapping it for St Johnstones 3 cup wins . Other fans quite rightly so will think different which is fine by me

8 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Kelly (wont be dropped)

McGinn Casey Blaney

Devine Miller Davor Spittal Gent

Vale   Bair

Looks like I’m in the minority here, but I’d still be starting Kelly. I’d also stick with Butcher if fit, Mugabi if not, and keep Casey on the left of the 3. The rest I agree with, although you could make a case for Halliday over Miller given that Miller’s just returning from a long spell out.

12 hours ago, couttsy said:

Looks like I’m in the minority here, but I’d still be starting Kelly. I’d also stick with Butcher if fit, Mugabi if not, and keep Casey on the left of the 3. The rest I agree with, although you could make a case for Halliday over Miller given that Miller’s just returning from a long spell out.

To be fair to Kelly, he didnt make any real mistakes against Hearts. There were a few nervous moments and his distribution was still poor, but he couldnt do much about the goals in my opinion. He may well play his way out of the poor form he has been in. None of us really no how good Oxborough is so it would be a huge risk to throw him in against Celtic.

The centre half issue is a connundrum that we clearly havent solved.

Mugabi has been better of late (he tends to be after a run of games) but there is always a mistake in him under pressure and you would think Celtic will exploit that.

Butcher has been injured all season and not had any run of games to get any sort of match sharpness back. Not sure this is the game I would bring him back for.

Casey, not been much better than Mugabi this season. Does well for the most part then loses concentration and drops his man quite a bit.

For me its McGinn and any one from those 3.

The reason Ive gone for Blaney is that he is naturally left sided and more confortable with the ball at his feet than the others. He has also made mistakes at times, but he is still quite inexperienced at this level and I fancy he has the most chance of progressing into a sellable asset.

All that said, you could make a case for any of the above.

McGinn is the most solid and the only one Id say is nailed on.

• Like 1

Apparently Willie Collum is referee for this one. As if Sunday wasn’t going to be hard enough.

He was the referee the last time Celtic were here was he not? 

And of course he rescued a point for them when he awarded McGregor’s dive in 2017.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, MJC said:

Apparently Willie Collum is referee for this one. As if Sunday wasn’t going to be hard enough.

He was the referee the last time Celtic were here was he not? 

And of course he rescued a point for them when he awarded McGregor’s dive in 2017.

His  is the first name on the Celtic team sheet. Cheat.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If Livi had held on would have been a decent day

We need to beat them on Wednesday night. At the moment they look doomed to 12th but we need to get ourselves away from 11th and we’ve got a great chance to do that against them. But I just can’t help thinking it will be the same script as usual and a draw.

11 hours ago, MJC said:

Heard a rumour that if Obika plays 37 minutes and wins two headers against Celtic he automatically gets a contract extension until May 2026.

But don’t tell anybody.

If it's 2 headers that actually get us 3pts I might actually accept that 😂😂😂

13 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I hope they score their goal early. That way  it gives us plenty of time to score one more than them. We're not keeping a clean sheet. 

Get in their faces and show them no respect. 

Feed the Bair. 

If they score early then we’re looking at a three, four possibly five goal defeat. To be honest I think that would be easier to take then losing like we did against them in September with the last kick of the ball.