LIvingston V Motherwell 28/02/2024

Kmcalpin

Huge 3 points tonight.

Really disappointing start and sloppy goal to lose (again) but I thought we responded well and controlled the game. 72% possession first half tells you we were tge better team. Granted we could have been better with that possession, but when the other team sits in its very difficult for teams like ours to break them down.

The changes second half definitely improved us and we scored 3 good goals and ran out deserved winners.

For those questioning why we didnt start with that line up, you need to consider the manager knows who is carrying a knock and who can last 90 minutes and makes decisions accordingly. Some of the players were absolutely done after Sunday so no surprise to see a couple on the bench.

3 points of top 6 now with a run of winnable games coming up after Rangers away.

Thats a free hit now. Hopefully we will go out and give it a go. Vale and Gent will certainly have a chance of starting having been rested somewhat tonight.

7 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Huge 3 points tonight.

Really disappointing start and sloppy goal to lose (again) but I thought we responded well and controlled the game. 72% possession first half tells you we were tge better team. Granted we could have been better with that possession, but when the other team sits in its very difficult for teams like ours to break them down.

The changes second half definitely improved us and we scored 3 good goals and ran out deserved winners.

For those questioning why we didnt start with that line up, you need to consider the manager knows who is carrying a knock and who can last 90 minutes and makes decisions accordingly. Some of the players were absolutely done after Sunday so no surprise to see a couple on the bench.

3 points of top 6 now with a run of winnable games coming up after Rangers away.

Thats a free hit now. Hopefully we will go out and give it a go. Vale and Gent will certainly have a chance of starting having been rested somewhat tonight.

And there is a 2 week gap after the rangers game, so we can give it 100% at Ibrox knowing we have a good recovery period before our next game and then itโ€™s a week between games up to the split. So we shouldnโ€™t be seeing any tired players as we push for a top six place

edit: and actually a two week gap between our home games v Aberdeen and then St Mirrenย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

In past 24 hours it's been ...... Rick Astley in concert........miller and carter for dinner.........well victory at Livi.

Carlsberg don't do bonkers grizzly trilogy's.......but if they did.........

Youโ€™ve got angels on your sideย 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Whichever way you frame it, 6 wins in 28 and 2 early cup exits is a poor return for any manager. He likely wouldn't be here now ifย it hadn't been for his secret extension.

Lucky he had that secret extension then or we could have had a Warnock or Levein making no difference whatsoever to our performances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Lucky he had that secret extension then or we could have had a Warnock or Levein making no difference whatsoever to our performances.

We could also have someone other than those you mentioned, and already be in the top six. Both alternative scenarios are equally valid, but we chose to stick with a manager whose win percentage is currently 21%. If you like that, so be it.ย 

A truly abysmal first half. Really concerning the levels to which we fall. Second half was much better and we ran out worthy winners. Despite all my doom and gloom throughout the game at this stage in the season all that matters is the result. Pity our next game is Rangers, hopefully combination of result will keep us no worse than four points off 6th and we can have a real go at achieving the remarkable and get into top six. I don't think we will but three home games out of four to the split gives us a chance but we will need to do something that's been beyond us all season winning three games on the bounce.

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Whichever way you frame it, 6 wins in 28 and 2 early cup exits is a poor return for any manager. He likely wouldn't be here now ifย it hadn't been for his secret extension. We'd also be worse off in the league if it weren't for those around us being equally rotten at times, but they won't always be. So no, I won't drop it because I don't want someone with that record at my club long-term. If you do, fine.ย 

And yes, it was a great result tonight in the end. It was a game of two very different halves.ย 

Aberdeen have literally spent millions of pounds and have 6 wins this season. ย 

We have the 5th best record in the league in terms of loses. ย In fact we've only lost once against anyone outside the Top 3 in the last 18 matches.

But you keep dismissing draws that we've got away from home against teams like Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs. as if these results don't count or are an actual negative.

We have 11 defeats in 28 currently. ย The last time we finished 3rd we had 12 defeats in 30. ย In terms of defeats we have not been excessivily losing - ย we usually lose around 16-17 matches a season.

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, wellfan said:

We could also have someone other than those you mentioned, and already be in the top six. Both alternative scenarios are equally valid, but we chose to stick with a manager whose win percentage is currently 21%. If you like that, so be it.ย 

You'd have had to been absolutely mental as a board to sack SK in those circumstances off the back of sacking Alexander and Hammell.

If we had lost to Livingston before the New Year he would have been under severe pressure and probably couldnt have argued had the board acted.

But he won that game and our form since then has been pretty decent.

You can argue all day that there havent been many wins. But there havent been many losses either and the performances overall have been relatively decent.

I know Im a broken record on this, but the board tasked SK with keeping us in the league whilst slashing the playing budget and reducing the squad size. He is on course to do that and has had a significant amount of injuries and other issues that have hampered us during that process.

Im not sure there was a long list of managers out there that could haveย  do that on the money that we pay, otherwise we may have interviewed them when Hammell or SK got appointed.

ย 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

The cross in from SOD for Nicholsons goal was a belter, and the cross in 1st half was asking to be headed home and Mugabi fecked it up, all in a great performance from SOD tonight

The cross for Mugabi's miss actually came from Blair Spittal.

38 minutes ago, wellfan said:

And who would this mythical manager be then ? I know you always dismiss this with 'it's not my job to find the next manager but we shoulddn't be accepting this blah blah blah.....' but why not try facing facts for a change. Four teams in the bottom six have changed managers this season. Two of these teams (at least) have budgets that dwarf ours. How much better off than us are they right now ? Do you need me to tell you or can you work it out for yourself ?ย 

That's four teams that have scoured the country and probably beyond to find a better manager and not one of them has actually made any difference. Are you going to tell us next that our interim CEO should have a magic manager finding lamp, and if he doesn't then he's just an amateur thats out of his depth.

You really are fucking tedious.

ย 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Aberdeen have literally spent millions of pounds and have 6 wins this season. ย 

We have the 5th best record in the league in terms of loses. ย In fact we've only lost once against anyone outside the Top 3 in the last 18 matches.

But you keep dismissing draws that we've got away from home against teams like Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs. as if these results don't count or are an actual negative.

We have 11 defeats in 28 currently. ย The last time we finished 3rd we had 12 defeats in 30. ย In terms of defeats we have not been excessivily losing - ย we usually lose around 16-17 matches a season.

Read my other posts and you'll see that I haven't dismissed the draws. I've acknowledged that they've helped with our league position.ย 

5 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

You'd have had to been absolutely mental as a board to sack SK in those circumstances off the back of sacking Alexander and Hammell.

If we had lost to Livingston before the New Year he would have been under severe pressure and probably couldnt have argued had the board acted.

But he won that game and our form since then has been pretty decent.

You can argue all day that there havent been many wins. But there havent been many losses either and the performances overall have been relatively decent.

I know Im a broken record on this, but the board tasked SK with keeping us in the league whilst slashing the playing budget and reducing the squad size. He is on course to do that and has had a significant amount of injuries and other issues that have hampered us during that process.

Im not sure there was a long list of managers out there that could haveย  do that on the money that we pay, otherwise we may have interviewed them when Hammell or SK got appointed.

You can have your broken record view, and I can have mine.ย 

5 hours ago, AllyMax said:

And who would this mythical manager be then ? I know you always dismiss this with 'it's not my job to find the next manager but we shoulddn't be accepting this blah blah blah.....' but why not try facing facts for a change. Four teams in the bottom six have changed managers this season. Two of these teams (at least) have budgets that dwarf ours. How much better off than us are they right now ? Do you need me to tell you or can you work it out for yourself ?ย 

That's four teams that have scoured the country and probably beyond to find a better manager and not one of them has actually made any difference. Are you going to tell us next that our interim CEO should have a magic manager finding lamp, and if he doesn't then he's just an amateur thats out of his depth.

You really are fucking tedious.

Take your tedious Socratic questioning and personal abuse elsewhere.ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great result.

What I find incredible is the absolute seethe I seen on Twitter in the first half. Yes we lost a silly goal, but for about 35 minutes of that half we controlled it comfortably.

Second half he makes the tweaks and we win the game.

But honestly what I was reading last night was bonkers. No wonder players distance themselves from social media.

From the last month or so of fixtures we look to have the team to get us away from the relegation battle and that is basically where we all wanted to be during that bad run.

Also think Miller being out impacted us hugely. His return has us playing far better and getting the ball on the deck.

ย 

ย 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, johnstone said:

Great result.

What I find incredible is the absolute seethe I seen on Twitter in the first half. Yes we lost a silly goal, but for about 35 minutes of that half we controlled it comfortably.

Second half he makes the tweaks and we win the game.

But honestly what I was reading last night was bonkers. No wonder players distance themselves from social media.

From the last month or so of fixtures we look to have the team to get us away from the relegation battle and that is basically where we all wanted to be during that bad run.

Also think Miller being out impacted us hugely. His return has us playing far better and getting the ball on the deck.

The starting setup wasnโ€™t quite right, but he got the subs right at the right time and it changed the game.

Social media is a sewer for illiterate morons with zero grasp on reality.ย 

Miller is class, and he's only going to improve. We best enjoy him while we can.ย 

Now, to beat Rangersโ€ฆ

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

You can have your broken record view, and I can have mine.ย 

ย 

Absolutely you can.

But do you accept any of the mitigating factors?

Do you think there is another manager out there that we could get on our budget who could have done better whilst being asked to do what SK has been tasked with?

No one is denying that results for a 3/4 month period were poor and that there are still glaring weaknesses in our squad. But, for me, its a work in progress caused by previous bad decisions by the board and/or managers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Do you think there is another manager out there that we could get on our budget who could have done better whilst being asked to do what SK has been tasked with?

Yes. It's not beyond the realms of possibility, as Kettlewell isn't some sort of unique budget team manager messiah.ย 

Well done Stuart Kettlewell! Fully expected us to come out 2nd half, continue to move the ball slowly allowing Livi to all get behind the ball, then lose another one on the break. However we completed changed the tempo in the 2nd half, not only by bringing on Vale, who was involved in nearly everything good we did, but by pulling Miller back into that more defensive role where he can ping passes about, I think it suits him much more.

Great 2nd half and some cracking goals. With Miller, Vale, Spittal and Bair now surely certainties to play weโ€™re starting to see a way of playing that works for us.