Motherwell v Aberdeen 16/03/2024

SteelmaninOZ

This season can’t finish quick enough, for all Aberdeen’s time wasting we done it for them in the second half slow, slow all over the park, 5 at the back gave them the freedom of the park, probably keep about 3 or 4 of this lot and the rest are free to go, heartless weak performance. Still need two wins from our remaining games then it’s a season to forget.

44 minutes ago, Throughthelaces said:

mark ferrie needs another year at least of development  football no where near first team ready and our manager should see that.

Good luck to the lad, but a few of us have said that for some time. He couldn't get a game for Stenhousemuir whilst on loan. I suppose today, we wanted a striker on the bench and he fitted that criterion.

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Get VAR so far to fuck. It is absolutely ruining football. 

Var didn't lose us that game today. It didn't help but neither did players who are slow of thought and movement , can't pass a ball to a teammate, can't tackle properly  , not to mention a poor team selection and tactics and substitutions. We could still be playing and still won't have scored a goal.

Just now, Kmcalpin said:

Good luck to the lad, but a few of us have said that for some time. He couldn't get a game for Stenhousemuir whilst on loan. I suppose today, we wanted a striker on the bench and he fitted that criterion.

Better than oli Shaw I suppose.

3 minutes ago, well_said said:

Var didn't lose us that game today. It didn't help but neither did players who are slow of thought and movement , can't pass a ball to a teammate, can't tackle properly  , not to mention a poor team selection and tactics and substitutions. We could still be playing and still won't have scored a goal.

No arguments there, we deserved to lose. 

VAR is a separate issue, and as I said is ruining football matches.

Frustrating day at the office. It seems like they just make up the VAR rules as they go. Earlier in the season at Fir Park a County player handles it and it sets up nicely for them to score and we were told they can only penalise if the scorer did it. I could see Shinnie handle it at the end but I'm just assuming it was struck at him at close proximity. Collum is such a pish ref you just knew he'd brandish a yellow for Roos on the 90th minute, the old chestnut despite warning him countless times by the 40th min. 

Great chance missed to go 8 points in front of them. For a team who have had two weeks off we seemed sluggish and devoid of any real creativity at times. They seemed to be getting some real joy with simple long punts. 

Obviously our downfall today was, we didn’t score. Not many games we don’t score but just wasn’t working today. Spittal was a bit off, Bair’s touch was lacking. We didn’t seem to play as a unit and looked disjointed. Top 6 probably gone but let’s hope we pick back up again next game. No surprise today really, we are consistently inconsistent! 

6 minutes ago, well_said said:

Better than oli Shaw I suppose.

Another question as to why the hell have we got him back? we are firing a kid on when we have a supposed striker who SK clearly rates? 

33 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

at home we should be setting the tempo, not sitting off teams.  We've seen it so many times this season and you know what, if you do that you don't win.

Exactly this. We give too many teams the initiative in games.

13 minutes ago, MJC said:

No arguments there, we deserved to lose.

I can't agree with that. We weren't good enough to win, but we certainly didn't deserve to lose. Far too passive in the game in the first half, better in the second, but no real goal-scoring forwards is a problem. We don't have anyone that can convert half chances. A draw would probably have been the right result.

17 minutes ago, well_said said:

Actually VAR cost us at least a point, not 1 Aberdeen player complained about a hand Ball, neither did that prick Collum he signalled goal.

Then var got involved, if the check takes nearly 3 mins, 100 different freeze frame and slow mo replays, how is that a clear and obvious error ffs. Its a feckin shambles looking for reasons to disallow the goal, that's not what it was introduced for. 

It's ruining the game but the SFA don't have the balls to either improve it's use as has been seen elsewhere or just bin it altogether.

9 minutes ago, MFCL84 said:

I can't agree with that. We weren't good enough to win, but we certainly didn't deserve to lose. Far too passive in the game in the first half, better in the second, but no real goal-scoring forwards is a problem. We don't have anyone that can convert half chances. A draw would probably have been the right result.

The VAR decision was in the 43rd minute. As harsh as it looked we were already behind at that stage and deservedly so. We then had an entire half of football to get back level but we never looked like we would score. 

“We don’t have anyone that can convert half chances”. 

You’re right there. And that is why we lost today and deserved to lose, because if you can’t score goals then you don’t win football matches. 

9 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Actually VAR cost us at least a point, not 1 Aberdeen player complained about a hand Ball, neither did that prick Collum he signalled goal.

Then var got involved, if the check takes nearly 3 mins, 100 different freeze frame and slow mo replays, how is that a clear and obvious error ffs. Its a feckin shambles looking for reasons to disallow the goal, that's not what it was introduced for. 

It's ruining the game but the SFA don't have the balls to either improve it's use as has been seen elsewhere or just bin it altogether.

Big part of the problem is also the inconsistent decisions on similar incidents from week to week and also within games. If it’s not deliberate handball they should be ignoring it. Both incidents today were not deliberate hand ball. 

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

The VAR decision was in the 43rd minute. As harsh as it looked we were already behind at that stage and deservedly so. We then had an entire half of football to get back level but we never looked like we would score. 

You’re right there. And that is why we lost today and deserved to lose, because if you can’t score goals then you don’t win football matches. 

Disagree that scoring goals has been our problem. It’s one of our better attributes. However, today we certainly failed on that front but for the season in general it has not been an issue for us. 

14 minutes ago, MJC said:

I understand the point that you are making, but it is a very black and white view of things. By that logic every team that loses any match deserves to lose, regardless of the circumstances. I'll view it on the balance of play, chances created, etc. and let's agree to differ. A draw would have  seemed a fair result to me.

17 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Disagree that scoring goals has been our problem.

Yeah, that isn't the point that I'm making. We can score against teams that open up a bit. Especially those that play high and leave space behind. What we are not good at is taking penalty box chances. There were multiple half chances  today that were not finished because we don't have an instinctive or natural striker.

I was surprised to see wee Dave on the bench and thought we missed his tenacity in the middle all day. They had the freedom of the midfield and Nicholson was a passenger the whole first half. I jinxed things early on in the game by thinking Collum was having a decent game then he reverted to form and was woeful from our disallowed goal onwards. Aberdeen time wasting and falling over and he simply allowed them to mug him off at every opportunity. That said, we were honking and well off the pace all day. We could have played another 90 and still not have scored.

8 minutes ago, MFCL84 said:

Yeah, that isn't the point that I'm making. We can score against teams that open up a bit. Especially those that play high and leave space behind. What we are not good at is taking penalty box chances. There were multiple half chances  today that were not finished because we don't have an instinctive or natural striker.

That’s fair comment 

We were rotten today, but again we are talking about VAR, if they give the Bair handball they have to also give the one against Shinnie at the end, inconsistency in our official’s is what’s killing the game, I think they all need to be made accountable and explain their decisions 

• Like 2

As said elsewhere, fielding a 17 year old, albeit a very talented one, behind 2 attacking central midfielders was a huge risk. Also  I thought the McGinn at LWB, was a failed experiment that had been consigned to the dustbin of history. SK does half overthink things at times. 

• Like 2