Seasons end poll

Mccus28

Seasons end  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with this season

• Yes
    • No

I was surprised to know that some people seemed to take offense to my suggestion that the majority of our fans wouldn't be satisfied with a 9th place finish and poor cup runs so thought a poll was in order to get the overall opinion rather than infighting

Will be interesting to see the result

1 hour ago, Mccus28 said:

I was surprised to know that some people seemed to take offense to my suggestion that the majority of our fans wouldn't be satisfied with a 9th place finish and poor cup runs so thought a poll was in order to get the overall opinion rather than infighting

Yes! You ran with my suggestion! 
Tough call for me as it’s a bit more grey than that. Some things yes some things no. 
But I suppose I’ll have to pick one! 

Bit of a loaded question.

I voted "no".  But it doesn't mean I'm in the 'flaming torch and pitchfork' mob.

I'm of the 'use this as a base line and improve next season' rather than 'clear the players, the manager and the board out'.

It might be hard for us to score as many goals next season but I definitely want to see more home wins, more clean sheets, better fundamentals on the pitch, better cup performances etc, etc.

• Like 2

As Ye Bezzer says, its entirely possible to be not satisfied with the season on a number of fronts whilst at the same time not being overly critical due to circumstances.

Absolutely want us to do better than we have done this season. But there has been a lot going on and we have had to clear the decks a little in order to get back on an even keel after a couple of seasons of really bad decision making and wasteful spending.

Next season we need to spend smarter address the areas of weakness in the team and hipe the manager has learned from this season and can implement that learning into improved performances.

Tactics and in game management needs to improve.

Seriously challenging for top 6 and a decent cup run in at least one of the cups would signify improvement for me.

7 minutes ago, wellfan said:

This thread should be re-titled:

‘Irascible happy-clappers vs doom-mongers’

Not gonna lie. I had to look "irascible" up.

Surely irascible happy clapper is an oxymoron?

29 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Bit of a loaded question.

I voted "no".  But it doesn't mean I'm in the 'flaming torch and pitchfork' mob.

I'm of the 'use this as a base line and improve next season' rather than 'clear the players, the manager and the board out'.

It might be hard for us to score as many goals next season but I definitely want to see more home wins, more clean sheets, better fundamentals on the pitch, better cup performances etc, etc.

I agree with what you said Bezzer

I'm neither satisfied nor dissatisfied if I'm honest. Based on goals scored we should be comfortably sitting in the top six pushing for the euro places. Instead we've finished 9th with what can only be described as a porous defence. I'm glad the seasons over as the last 6 months have been a real slog. Much improvement required next season.

39 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

As Ye Bezzer says, its entirely possible to be not satisfied with the season on a number of fronts whilst at the same time not being overly critical due to circumstances.

Absolutely want us to do better than we have done this season. But there has been a lot going on and we have had to clear the decks a little in order to get back on an even keel after a couple of seasons of really bad decision making and wasteful spending.

Next season we need to spend smarter address the areas of weakness in the team and hipe the manager has learned from this season and can implement that learning into improved performances.

Tactics and in game management needs to improve.

Seriously challenging for top 6 and a decent cup run in at least one of the cups would signify improvement for me.

Thats it for me.

Historically, a slightly worse season than normal, but there are mitigating factors. SK has credit in the bank for turning it around after Stevie Hammell left us in a mess. He also cleared a lot of deadwood, with which he was left. A bad crop of injuried didn't help.  But, the manager now needs to up his game considerably in terms of tactical nous. No more overthinking please. We also need a good summer in the transfer market - that will be a massive factor in how we do next term.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Remove the 'oxy' and you've just about nailed it. 

No smiley emoji?

That hurts! 😍

4 hours ago, Mccus28 said:

I didn't take offence. I just think personally over this season I've seen posts on here and on other forums where people post saying most fans think this or that . There's around 30 people who post on here regularly if that. I also think the poor cup run is being used to suggest that Kettlewell isn't up to the job. When was the last time Motherwell had a decent cup run?

For clarification. There's nothing I'd like better than to see Motherwell get top six every year. I was delighted when we last got top six.

However for me the main objective is to avoid relegation and that isn't because I don't want success for my club - it's because retaining our top flight status is essential. I don't want to see us drop down into a league that we might struggle to get back out of. 

We've made top six 9 times in the last twenty years so it's obvious there are going to be seasons where we make it. Seasons where we just miss out and seasons like this. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I didn't take offence. I just think personally over this season I've seen posts on here and on other forums where people post saying most fans think this or that . There's around 30 people who post on here regularly if that. I also think the poor cup run is being used to suggest that Kettlewell isn't up to the job. When was the last time Motherwell had a decent cup run?

For clarification. There's nothing I'd like better than to see Motherwell get top six every year. I was delighted when we last got top six. 

However we've made top six 9 times in the last twenty years so it's obvious there are going to be seasons where we make it. Seasons where we just miss out and seasons like this. 

Im not sure where i said kettlewell wasnt up to the job, as long as he is the Motherwell manager he has my full support.  That doesnt detract from the fact we had a crazy winless streak and a pathetic cup run and im happy that the season is over.  Im personally not happy with a 9th place finish, it wont stop me supporting Motherwell. 

If people are ok with a 9th place finish...................cool, but i personally think that shows a lack of ambition, its just my opinion and i HOPE most Motherwell fans are of the same mindset but if not then again, its absolutely fine.

the original post you replied to me about was my interaction with Spiderpig who I felt was condescending toward MY opinion but again im ok with interactions about a differing of opinion and i wouldnt fall out with someone or take it personally but i will reply.............

9 minutes ago, Mccus28 said:

Im not sure where i said kettlewell wasnt up to the job, as long as he is the Motherwell manager he has my full support.  That doesnt detract from the fact we had a crazy winless streak and a pathetic cup run and im happy that the season is over.  Im personally not happy with a 9th place finish, it wont stop me supporting Motherwell. 

If people are ok with a 9th place finish...................cool, but i personally think that shows a lack of ambition, its just my opinion and i HOPE most Motherwell fans are of the same mindset but if not then again, its absolutely fine.

the original post you replied to me about was my interaction with Spiderpig who I felt was condescending toward MY opinion but again im ok with interactions about a differing of opinion and i wouldnt fall out with someone or take it personally but i will reply.............

I didn't say in my post that you said that Kettlewell wasn't up to the job because of the lack of cup success. It was a general observation. As I've said more than once. There's nothing more I would like than to see Motherwell get top six or higher every season. 

I wouldn't have spent decades following the club and buying season tickets and putting into the society if I didn't want to see the club do well. Im just not going to see everything in black and white terms of top six and good cup run is success and everything else is failure. 

17 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I didn't say in my post that you said that Kettlewell wasn't up to the job because of the lack of cup success. It was a general observation. As I've said more than once. There's nothing more I would like than to see Motherwell get top six or higher every season. 

I wouldn't have spent decades following the club and buying season tickets and putting into the society if I didn't want to see the club do well. Im just not going to see everything in black and white terms of top six and good cup run is success and everything else is failure. 

Ok

I researched our league positions back in 2016, when I was bored. This breakdown is from that post. TL;DR is that 8th is the position we finish most often, so this season was just slightly worse than that. The stats are obviously a little out of date, but I don't think they would change much based on recent league finishes.

Just for kicks, and without any agenda other than personal interest in the figures, I pulled up our league stats since the SPL was created. We have been relegated twice. Been in the relegation spot twice, but saved due to reconstruction and the all-seater stadium rule. Finished one place above relegation 4 times and avoided relegation by winning a play-off once.

Our combined average position is 6.97 (without adjusting for the fact some seasons were 10 team leagues and others 12)

In 10 team leagues, our average position is 7.06

In 12 team leagues, our average position is 5

For stats junkies, our Median position is 7.5 and Mode is 8 (which means we have finished 8th more than any other position)

Our position in Div 1 are not included in the stats.

75-76 4th from 10 (2 relegated) - Ian St John was the gaffer that season!

76-77 7th from 10 (2 relegated)

77-78 6th from 10 (2 relegated)

78-79 10th from 10 RELEGATED

79-80 6th in Div 1

80-81 5th in Div 1

81-82 1st in Div 1

82-83 8th from 10 (2 relegated)

83-84 10th from 10 RELEGATED

84-85 1st in Div 1

85-86 9th from 10 (saved from relegation by reconstruction)

86-87 8th from 12 (2 relegated)

87-88 8th from 12 (3 relegated)

88-89 9th from 10 (1 relegated)

89-90 6th from 10 (1 relegated)

90-91 6th from 10 (no relegation due to reconstruction)

91-92 10th from 12 (2 relegated)

92-93 9th from 12 (2 relegated)

93-94 3rd from 12 (3 relegated)

94-95 2nd from 10 (1 relegated, 1 play-off)

95-96 8th from 10 (2 relegated)

96-97 8th from 10 (1 relegated, 1 play-off)

97-98 9th from 10 (1 relegated)

98-99 7th from 10 (1 relegated)

99-00 4th from 10 (no relegation due to reconstruction)

00-01 8th from 12 (1 relegated)

01-02 11th from 12 (1 relegated)

02-03 12th from 12 (saved from relegation by Falkirk's stadium)

03-04 6th from 12 (1 relegated)

04-05 6th from 12 (1 relegated)

05-06 8th from 12 (1 relegated)

06-07 10th from 12 (1 relegated)

07-08 3rd from 12 (Gretna!)

08-09 7th from 12 (1 relegated)

09-10 5th from 12 (1 relegated)

10-11 6th from 12 (1 relegated)

11-12 3rd from 12 (1 relegated)

12-13 2nd from 12 (1 relegated)

13-14 2nd from 12 (2 relegated, 1 via play-off)

14-15 11th from 12 (won play off)

Some of the the positives for me this season were Theo's breakthrough, Miller establishing himself, Biereth shaking things up, Spittal's performances, 3rd highest goal scorers in the league, and of course the win at Ibrox. When our football was coming off some of the team goals were scored were excellent.

The biggest negatives by far were our defensive performances and our feeble cup exit in Greenock.

So there were some aspects that I was satisfied with and some that frustrated all season.

Then next season, when we are all on zero points, we can enjoy a week or two of hoping for a good cup run and a top 6 finish again; at least until October.

6 hours ago, wunderwell said:

Yes! You ran with my suggestion! 
Tough call for me as it’s a bit more grey than that. Some things yes some things no. 
But I suppose I’ll have to pick one! 

I’m the same. Neither option really captures how i feel. I’m sort of neutral neither “satisfied” or “not satisfied”

• Like 1

I put yes but that doesn't mean I am satisfied.   When you consider our position late January then we have turned it round.

However I expect better next season. Need to make good signings and Kettlewell needs to stop overthinking at times.  Yesterday summed ths4 up in a nutshell by playing Nicholson RWB when we had Devine on the bench

I'm satisfied that we worked our way out of our rut rather than sacking SK and keeping fingers crossed that that would fix it. I'm also satisfied by the performances of a handful of individuals and by the effort of the team as a unit throughout the season.

There's a lot of room for improvement though and a lot of players leaving so I hope that SK can learn from his mistakes and put together a more solid squad for next season.