In's And Out's

AndyRoss

Could be wrong but I thought had already been explained. Think it was the Tranmere fan (TranmereKev?) who posted either a written or audio interview where they had agreed a one year with scope to extend it if things went on the park and the player settled in Scotland?

I remember the link you're talking about, Andy, but it's better PR to say that when bringing a guy in than say "We're bringing him in for a year til Forbes is ready for regular football...". Don't get me wrong, I think it's a sound strategy to bring guys in short term til our young players are ready. Just struck me yesterday when I read Gannon's comments that it might explain why the only guy we've signed so far is on a one year deal...

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ach, I'm surprising myself these days in my restraint..... :P Seriously, big Krisztian is almost an irrelevant piece of history, since I can no longer have the 'why Hughes and Malcolm?' dig at the current management, and given our budget constraints, a several million Euro transfer from Ossasuna is way out the question. He probably could take on the Bairns midfield single handed however as they've now all moved to Easter Road :lol:

I'm a bit worried that we haven't signed anyone else yet. I still believe that as long as the signings are in place for the first game at erth, that's the main thing though.

Thing is, we have to give the team time to gel together. Signing players before the St Johnstone game is all fair and well, but not much use if they don't know the names of half their team mates. So I reckon you're right to be worried at the pace of things. It's ealry yet, but if in another week to ten days we haven't seen at least 4 new faces in the door, I'll be very concerned...

Thing is, we have to give the team time to gel together. Signing players before the St Johnstone game is all fair and well, but not much use if they don't know the names of half their team mates. So I reckon you're right to be worried at the pace of things. It's ealry yet, but if in another week to ten days we haven't seen at least 4 new faces in the door, I'll be very concerned...

I think we will see one more player by Thursday, using this wildcard option and it will probably be in the area needing the quickest fix (Goalkeeper?). Most of the activity does not happen untill the end of the transfer window when players/clubs have had the chance to assess their options.

That's not to say I'm not worried right now. You're right though, we need the new players now in order for them to be given time to gell

I was under the impression that selling Clarkson and Quinn would allow funds to be released to SPEED up the signing of new players.

Is none of that money going to be re-invested in the squad (ie transfer fees being paid rather than just wages/loan deals)?

I've 2 issues with Stephen Hughes -

1 Who on earth advised him he's £7k pw calibre. He's good - but not that good.

2 How can Hearts offer anything like that money when they're £30M in the red! They may have a stable team manager now, but business wise, Hearts still look Armageddon material somewhere down the line.

Reliable sauce?

Very reliable.

And, I think some people are missing the point with Hughes. Its not the fact he rejected £7,000-a-week and he thinks he can do better but more the fact he doesn't want to move or go back down to England (Norwich that offered him it, yeah?).

I was under the impression that selling Clarkson and Quinn would allow funds to be released to SPEED up the signing of new players.

I reckon those funds are being used to cover the defecit caused by the loss of Setanta money from next season. I anticipate about 4/5 free transfers or loan players arriving at the most util a new TV deal is signed.

That was the money due from last season I beleive. The TV cash was around a third of our income so the 2 sales have covered that.

Hibs have sold Felcher;Hamilton are selling Easton and Mccarthy;Aberdeen won't bring in many and have lost the likes of Severin,;Killie don't have anybody worth buying; Falkirk have about 15 players including their recent signings. Not just ourselves that are struggling.

I think the score is that at this point in time, there is no guarantee of any money at all from TV for the foreseeable future. This season's money has been covered by the SPL, but ATM there is no money for next year, and on to the future.

Although it is most likely there will be some kind of deal, until teams know what it is, how much, how long for, and how much of a cut they will get, they are unlikely to spend any money in reserve, or that they have gained from punting their players.

EDIT: Killie have also stated that they won't be bringing anyone in, and Rangers have basically said every player they have is available.

Very reliable.

And, I think some people are missing the point with Hughes. Its not the fact he rejected £7,000-a-week and he thinks he can do better but more the fact he doesn't want to move or go back down to England (Norwich that offered him it, yeah?).

Do you mean doesn't want to move from Motherwell (the club) or doesn't want to move from Scotland?

Yet another Ins and Outs thread ;) . Sign of frustration and boredom.

I hope JG doesn't sign anyone through desperation but instead follows up his alleged extensive contact list and signing targets.

I too would like some experience added to the squad before Thursday. But I don't want any Bob Malcolm's filling the wage bill and bench. The Europa Cup is not a priority - top 6 and a cup run is.

What do we do now? Continue this thread or join it up with the other? :D

As far as I know, he doesn't want to leave Motherwell (the area) or the country as its well documented, he doesn't want to uproot his family, so the longer it goes on with Hughes not signing for anyone the more I reckon he'll stay, if he gets offered a contract at Motherwell, that is!

As far as I know, he doesn't want to leave Motherwell (the area) or the country as its well documented, he doesn't want to uproot his family, so the longer it goes on with Hughes not signing for anyone the more I reckon he'll stay, if he gets offered a contract at Motherwell, that is!

Thing is, though, unlike Calum Elliot, I'm pretty sure Stephen Hughes wouldn't be daunted by a wee drive to and from Edinburgh every day. Earlier in the summer, there was a short period of time when I thought Hughes might stay. Now I'm certain he's offski...

Thing is, though, unlike Calum Elliot, I'm pretty sure Stephen Hughes wouldn't be daunted by a wee drive to and from Edinburgh every day. Earlier in the summer, there was a short period of time when I thought Hughes might stay. Now I'm certain he's offski...

I'd like him to stay as I think hes a good player pure and simple - but like yourself Melv - i think he's off. However in staying I wouldn't like hime to skew the wage structure too much and there are guys already here that are worth a good wage.

Robyn - I'm not doubting your info for a second mate, thanks for all so far, however - Hughes knows where Fir park is - surely him or his agent shouldn't be averse to contacting the club and putting their cards on the table. A wee bit pro-activity.

I was under the impression JG was looking to sign between 3-5 players over the next few weeks and was hoping to have one or two in today.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject????

Cheers

Aye, he hasn't signed anyone yet.

I think people live in a world where Football Manager is gospel. Its not.

We have no money and very few players see Scottish fitbaw as an attractive prospect. We will struggle to bring in players.

If Motherwell can´t sign any more player until wednesday, could someone tell me, if our young players are good enought, to play against Flamurtari, and are there some who could get really good players in this season?...