In's And Out's

AndyRoss

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his agent telling Hearts "Stephen wants to play for you" was probably a bigger hint.

Point taken but would you believe a word that comes out of a football agent's mouth?? His public hints that he wasn't keen to move all the way up to Aberdeen won't have done any harm...

Anyone heard anything new about the possibility of a new face before Wednesday? Given we have the possibility of adding someone to the European squad on Wednesday night, I'd have thought we'd have been looking to do at least one deal before then...

Point taken but would you believe a word that comes out of a football agent's mouth?? His public hints that he wasn't keen to move all the way up to Aberdeen won't have done any harm...

Would be sad to see him play for the opposition next year, particularly Hearts. He is one of the better players we have had in recent years. I had hoped he would stay but at the reported £7000 a week it was never really going to happen.

Have to say though that it is mildly satisfying that Aberdeen can't afford him either. Funny how Jim Paterson and Stephen Hughes have not jumped at the chance to be reunited with their old manager.

I can't understand all the hubub about Hughes. He played well for about 6 months of his two years here. He scored two goals for us and most times the games just passed him by. Will not miss him one jot to be honest.

I tend to agree with you on this one. And because we're in a bit of a transitional phase this year, we may find ourselves battling at the bottom (don't think we'll go down but could be in amongst it for a bit) and he's not really the man you want next to you if it's sleeves rolled up time...

I can't understand all the hubub about Hughes. He played well for about 6 months of his two years here. He scored two goals for us and most times the games just passed him by. Will not miss him one jot to be honest.

Excellent first touch, could give himself time because of his ability to control the ball, everything went through him in the midfield. His good 6 months was the teams good six months. It's a team game. One player cannot do it on his own.

It's all about opinion but in my opinion he was a class apart.

Excellent first touch, could give himself time because of his ability to control the ball, everything went through him in the midfield. His good 6 months was the teams good six months. It's a team game. One player cannot do it on his own.

It's all about opinion but in my opinion he was a class apart.

I'm in the same boat as you star sail when it comes to Hughes.

Yeah he had his share of quiet games along the way but he was a proper playmaker that we will miss greatly this season.

Wish him all the best at Hearts. As long as he didn't end up at Aberdeen, I didn't mind where he went.

Hughes is a quality midfielder, would rather he was in our team than facing us.

My only complaint was he disappeared in some games, especially last season. When we needed a bit of magic or to dig ourselves out a hole he has the quality to do it, but for me didnt show that too often last year.

My only complaint was he disappeared in some games, especially last season. When we needed a bit of magic or to dig ourselves out a hole he has the quality to do it, but for me didnt show that too often last year.

I'd agree with all of that.....

Has he actually signed for Hearts? Given he knocked them back to sign for us initially, and then was very critical of them after our last meeting it would be a surprising turn of events for me.....

A sheer lack of ambition in my eyes heading off to that shite hole, Hughes is looking like a bit of a journey man but under the thumb of his Mrs can only be in the central belt.

Away n grow a pair ya wee fanny! :P

Has he actually signed for Hearts? Given he knocked them back to sign for us initially, and then was very critical of them after our last meeting it would be a surprising turn of events for me.....

I think the fact that there seems to be a wee bit more stability in the manager's chair there might mean it's not the place to avoid that it was two years ago...

I've read varying points about hughes and he was a good player for us and had his moments.

I don't feel he's a player that justifies such a return of £7k a week though.

Over the two legs against llanelli we saw really promising signs from ross forbes, a player who constantly wants the ball and has taken over the hughes role like a duck to water.

Was he not part of the dumbarton squad that won the 3rd division last year.

Seeing as our new manager is willing to give the young uns a chance it would've been fairly harsh, giving a kings ransom in wages for hughes, as that alone almost guarantee's first team football.

I don't agree that we'll be in a relagation dogfight next year,we've already seen strings added to our bow since jim gannon took over.

For instance when is the last time you saw us score 3 headed goals in a game?

I'm just waiting for someone to say that is was against part timers but the balls put in from slane hammel and o brien were quality.

just my 2 cents.

All the best steven wherever you are but still feel that hearts are a poisoned challice

I don't agree that we'll be in a relagation dogfight next year,we've already seen strings added to our bow since jim gannon took over.

I didn't say that we'd be in a relegation dogfight, but with a new manager and 4 or 5 new players needing time to get used to playing with each other, I think we might be in the bottom half this season. And in that situation, you want players who are roll up their sleeves in the trenches types. And Hughes, for all he brings to the table, is not that type of player...

Arguably Hughes may have been a bit of a luxury given the new 4-2-3-1 formation. With two holding midfielders the emphasis is on players who can sit, break it up and pass it to a fairly mobile/fluid three sitting behind a target/pivot forward. Lasley, Fizzy, the new ex-Tranmere dude and Forbes (from what I've heard) would be ideal for this, I think Hughes would struggle in a more advanced role (anyone remember him as a wide player in the 5 in McGhee's 4-5-1 against St Mirren?). Hughes had his moments, albeit infrequently, and was undoubtedly an improvement over Brian Kerr ( :P ) but for me, happy with the way things are shaping up in the middle so far.

For instance when is the last time you saw us score 3 headed goals in a game?

I'm just waiting for someone to say that is was against part timers but the balls put in from slane hammel and o brien were quality.

I know that's not really the point of your post, but was I reckon Porter's hat-trick against ICT in December was 3 headers.

Arguably Hughes may have been a bit of a luxury given the new 4-2-3-1 formation. With two holding midfielders the emphasis is on players who can sit, break it up and pass it to a fairly mobile/fluid three sitting behind a target/pivot forward. Lasley, Fizzy, the new ex-Tranmere dude and Forbes (from what I've heard) would be ideal for this, I think Hughes would struggle in a more advanced role (anyone remember him as a wide player in the 5 in McGhee's 4-5-1 against St Mirren?). Hughes had his moments, albeit infrequently, and was undoubtedly an improvement over Brian Kerr ( :lol: ) but for me, happy with the way things are shaping up in the middle so far.

So what you're saying is that Hughes is no Kristian Vadocz?? :P

Arguably Hughes may have been a bit of a luxury given the new 4-2-3-1 formation. With two holding midfielders the emphasis is on players who can sit, break it up and pass it to a fairly mobile/fluid three sitting behind a target/pivot forward. Lasley, Fizzy, the new ex-Tranmere dude and Forbes (from what I've heard) would be ideal for this, I think Hughes would struggle in a more advanced role (anyone remember him as a wide player in the 5 in McGhee's 4-5-1 against St Mirren?). Hughes had his moments, albeit infrequently, and was undoubtedly an improvement over Brian Kerr ( :lol: ) but for me, happy with the way things are shaping up in the middle so far.

Have to be careful about building Forbes up too much. I thought he looked good against Llanelli and if he could produce performances like that in the SPL he would be a revelation but we have to remember the standard of the opposition. Also we have not seen our new signing in action yet so will have to wait and see.

As for Brian Kerr, remember he was too good for us. :P

The suggestion that any signings will be reasonably short term until he can get our young players ready for regular first team action might explain the fact that Jennings is on a one year deal...

Could be wrong but I thought had already been explained. Think it was the Tranmere fan (TranmereKev?) who posted either a written or audio interview where they had agreed a one year with scope to extend it if things went on the park and the player settled in Scotland?