In's And Out's

AndyRoss

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, not sure if, given the finance, we'll see any more signings, possibly another 1. maybe those "in the know" can say otherwise, but it would certainly be a nice surprise!!

We bloody well better! Around 8 or 9 First team players have left and we have brought 4 in as replacements with none of them Strikers! We NEED to replace some of the goals that Clarky & Porter got for us last year or we will struggle. The young lads are doing fine, BUT they can only be expected to replace maybe 2 or 3 of the players that have left.

IMHO we need 2 strikers to join before the end of the transfer window.

Was going to say that maybe the manager has kind of noticed that we need a striker or two, so it's a bit early to get frothing at the mouth about it.

But what I really want to say is that it's bloody brilliant that there is already over 2000 posts about comings and goings at the team, and the SPL doesn't even start for over a week.

OK we're not going to win the league - possibly - but you just know it's going to be a great roller-coaster ride.

i think that unless we change our formation a right back is needed urgently .

sutton can do a job if we get good crosses into the box but IMO we could do with a striker to because like we seen last year sutton has dry patches when he doesent score for a while

Hmm, not sure if, given the finance, we'll see any more signings, possibly another 1.

we must have more money to spend on the playing squad.

we've took in around £1.7 million for porter, clarkson, quinn and mcghee

we've took in around £230,000 in europa league prize money.

the new tv deal gives us the same money in 2009/10 as the old setanta one would have.

the wage bill is much smaller with hughes, porter and malcolm alone freeing up 10 grand a week.

even including the cost of the pitch we have brought in a lot of money in 2009 and i therefore don't see why we would need to be running a much cheaper squad than we were in 2007/08.

From BBC Gossip Page:

Motherwell are to take a look at Australian full-back Simon Storey, who turned down a new contract with Partick Thistle. (Daily Express)

Reading about him, he's played both right back and left back in the past. We do know that Gannon likes his players to be versatile...

If you want quality you have to pay for it though. Had we not received money for McGhee/Leitch, Clarkson and Quinn then I wouldn't expect us to be paying any money for anyone.

I thought, perhaps naively, that at least a small percentage of the money received from the above mentioned would be used to pay at some least some small transfer fees, rather than the "hope we can get it for nothing" approach.

My point is, I don't think we can replace Porter and Clarksons goals without paying for them

If you want quality you have to pay for it though. Had we not received money for McGhee/Leitch, Clarkson and Quinn then I wouldn't expect us to be paying any money for anyone.

I thought, perhaps naively, that at least a small percentage of the money received from the above mentioned would be used to pay at some least some small transfer fees, rather than the "hope we can get it for nothing" approach.

My point is, I don't think we can replace Porter and Clarksons goals without paying for them

Indeed. It will be a costly mistake if we don't replace those goals. And if JG can;t identify one or even two Strikers to come in for nothing it will be one of Boyle's biggest follies to date for not giving him some money to do it.

We got Porter for nothing and Skippy. The thing is you don't know what's out there for nothing and Jim Gannon probably will. Money doesn't automatically mean goals. And even if a player signs for free there is a signing on fee involved.

Did we not get Clarky, Porter, and McCormack for nothing though? Did they replace the goals we lost when McDonald and Faddy left? When was the last time we spent money on a striker?

Gow would have cost a lot more than the £200k transfer fee, would have no intention of coming here, and he's also shite.

I'm not worried. I'm sure the manager knows exactly what he needs and i wouldn't be surprised to see the transfer activity pick up after Thursday.