Setanta Up Jobby Creek

Juan Kerse

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard on Radio Scotland that one SPL club's entire wage bill of £1.3? million is funded by setanta money. Who pays wages like that ;)

Quicky calculation puts that at 20 players on an average of £1250 a week?!

£1000 per week = £50000 per year times 20 players = £1m add in coaching staff etc and £1.3m is not an unusual amount. I would think that wage bill could be anyone of ten clubs.

I would be very worried if an entire budget was based on TV finances, surely no one is that stupid ;)

I always loved watching football behind a white tape with a crowd of 50 on an ash park!

Looks like it could be making a comeback!

To be fair its Rangers and Celtic who will be fucked enourmously by this. Us and other clubs have the ability to manage it by freeing up wages and playing youngsters which we would accept. The evil hordes of Glasgow would not accept such a resolution on their great clubs!

I feel that a deal will be churned out with some company be it Sky, ESPN or the BBC - but someone will want the revenue from the Old Firm games.

The thing is, how can Setanta try to negotiate the contracts?!?

I should try this at argos. Buy a new Flatscreen Telly for £1200 with a 24 month repayment and after 3 months I tell them I dont have any money and actually can only afford to pay £300 for the telly... ;)

Its not that Setanta JUST cant get enough money, they are not having half of as many subscribers they need to have to break even..

To be fair its Rangers and Celtic who will be fucked enourmously by this. Us and other clubs have the ability to manage it by freeing up wages and playing youngsters which we would accept. The evil hordes of Glasgow would not accept such a resolution on their great clubs!

I actually think it'll be the opposite. The OF will still be able to manage with the loss of the TV money, a lot of the other clubs will struggle big time without a large chunk of their revenue.

I actually think it'll be the opposite. The OF will still be able to manage with the loss of the TV money, a lot of the other clubs will struggle big time without a large chunk of their revenue.

Not really, we have tiny wage budget compared to them and if the worst comes to the worst then we can release players on higher wages.

Can you imagine Rangers or Celtic getting rid of most of their top names while still charging the same amount for their season tickets? There would be outcry.

Anyway its all hearsay as I fully expect something to be ironed out in the next week as no one is going to dismiss the money that can be made from screening Rangers and Celtic games.

Of Celtic's total income only 3% comes from the Setanta money. Meanwhile for the likes of St.Mirren and ourselves the TV cash amounts to around a quarter of our total turnover. But as you say I expect somebody somewhere will pay to screen the bigots and we will get a slice.

Not really, we have tiny wage budget compared to them and if the worst comes to the worst then we can release players on higher wages.

Of course we have a smaller wage budget than the OF but it's all relative. I would think a much larger percentage of the Setanta TV money would be spent by us on wages as compared to the OF. The money that Celtic and Rangers get from Setanta is probably a drop in the ocean to them but it's our bread and butter.

Of course we have a smaller wage budget than the OF but it's all relative. I would think a much larger percentage of the Setanta TV money would be spent by us on wages as compared to the OF. The money that Celtic and Rangers get from Setanta is probably a drop in the ocean to them but it's our bread and butter.

Surely Hearts must be on shaky ground?

Very true and the Setanta problem just might leave the door open for them to do what they always wanted and secure their own TV deals on a season or match by match basis whereby they are getting to keep almost all the money for themselves (with obviously a small slice for the lucky team they are playing). This was always the dream situation for the scum and if the SPL cant get a new deal I do think the door has been opened :):)

Very true and the Setanta problem just might leave the door open for them to do what they always wanted and secure their own TV deals on a season or match by match basis whereby they are getting to keep almost all the money for themselves (with obviously a small slice for the lucky team they are playing). This was always the dream situation for the scum and if the SPL cant get a new deal I do think the door has been opened :):)

Well if that's the case time for SPL chairmen to grow a set and insist on a reasonable financial package when our teams are featured against them. A TV deal is no use to them if they have no opposition.

Well if that's the case time for SPL chairmen to grow a set and insist on a reasonable financial package when our teams are featured against them. A TV deal is no use to them if they have no opposition.

You've hit the nail on the head FC. They can't telveise games without the opposition's agreement.

Ach, let's just scrap the live telly and go back to everybody playing at 3pm on a Saturday and highlights on the Beeb on a Saturday night.

While the overall revenues might drop, I bet the gates would increase.