Jim Gannon

decorator

Although appointing Craigan as assistant manager would be the "cheap option", i don't agree that it would be wrong. Having ofter heard him talking on the radio and watched his interview the other week, he appears to be very capable of being the assistant manager. I understand that he has the relevant coaching badges so if he get the job I'd have no complaints.

JB has done very well with his appointments of firstly McGhee and Leitch and now with Gannon so I'd trust his judgment on Craigan.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what is up with the 'cheap option'. Who knows the Scottish game better in the FP dressing room than Crags? Who knows the players better? If he can stay professional and objective about his own performances then for me it is an ideal appointment.

I think it's just too soon for Craigan. He has own international career to continue and has to concern himself with his own performances in order to maintain his place there. I know Scott Leitch was assistant manager for many players he played with, but I feel the spell away from the club with Ross County helped make a separation from the rest of the players. Craigan will not have that distance.

If he gets it, he will of course get my backing. Just strikes me as the cheap choice, instead of the right one. And I say that with no malice to the big guy (and fully expecting that he will get the job). Leads on to, who takes the captaincy? Lasley? Hammell? I don't think you can be assistant manager and captain so where is Craigan needed more...?

If you can be Player-manager I'm sure you can be Asst. Manager-captain. As Assistant he would be a leader on the park anyway so makes no difference. If he isn't then Gannon selects somebody else to be Captain. No drama. Sadly, I'm an old school romantic and being Captain is a big thing to me. In the reality of pro football.....I'm not sure it is. Look how our armband was getting tossed about last year. Craigan, Hughes, Lasley, Quinn.....and it didn't 'sort out' Quinn did it.

More interesting to me is the formation we are likely to play. I read somewhere that Gannon likes to play the 4-2-3-1 set up (or maybe it was 4-3-2-1?) Doesn anyone think John Sutton is cut out to play the lone striker role?

No way!!

More interesting to me is the formation we are likely to play. I read somewhere that Gannon likes to play the 4-2-3-1 set up (or maybe it was 4-3-2-1?) Doesn anyone think John Sutton is cut out to play the lone striker role?

I would have thought that although he may favour the one man up top with a couple of attacking midfielders behind, he may be beholden to the players we have at the moment. By that I mean, at least initially finding the formation that the players we have left are most comfortable with.

And on the evidence of Nancy away, no, John Sutton is not really cut out for the lone striker role...

And on the evidence of Nancy away, no, John Sutton is not really cut out for the lone striker role...
Probably not. Although to be fair, it would have been easier to judge if we had put out a team interested in getting out their own half.

I'm happy enough with our new manager, goin by reports on him,my one resevation is, if he's bringing his own backroom staff with him from england then where is the knowledge of the scottish game coming from?Opponents,players available for us up here etc....are we goin to rely on Craigan's knowledge of that, or bring someone in,in a coaching capacity to work with him,hopefully the latter

I just happen to feel our current squad of players are perhaps more suited to playing the Gannon way than the Boothroyd way.

Your probably right. I really think that JB put alot of weight on the fact that Gannon is used to working with little cash and developing youth but especially the fact that he will know the lower divisions in England and could uncover some diamonds in the rough ( no offense intended to any Airdrie fans ! ) :whistling:

Good story in the Herald regarding Gannon,

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines..._for_future.php

Good article, although...

Gannon, like his predecessor, has demonstrated loyalty in the past to his employers,
:whistling:

Also the article continues to perpetuate the myth that the only problem we had last season was the injury crisis in November and December...