Gannon And The Press

steelboy

If we lose the next two games, which we are expected to, the wheels could be well and truly off the wagon and we could find ourselves scrambling about the wrong end of the league. And it won't be because of losing the next two games - it will be because of a plethora of stupid draws brought on by too much dicking about and an inability to kill teams off.

This much is true also to be fair.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh woe is us B-)

Can I ask the doom and gloom merchants who like to dissect everything to the minutest detail. Are you enjoying the season thus far?

I certainly am and I'm looking forward to the rest of it. Maybe it's just me that doesn't see the need to delve into the deepest corners looking for answers to the meaning of life 'up by' but I genuinely have looked forward to every game coming up this season.

Obviously 1 win in 6 doesn't make for good reading and with the next 4 games coming up being against the best 4 teams in the league it really could be 1 win in 10!!!

All if's but's and maybes, who knows what will happen. Of course there is room or improvement in some areas , but on the whole this isn't bad going at all at the moment is it?

Yes and on the positive side if these results are no worse than a draw then it would be 1 defeat in 16 :O . The thing that some of us are trying to point out on these threads that lets look at the positive side of being a 'Well fan for once and not the negatives. :nod: We have a bunch of laddies playing for us who obviously react well to praise so lets give them some 1 defeat in 12 league games. Wonderful B-) can I have some more please and that is not being happy clappy

People are harking on about the last 6 games, based on the last 6 league matches, only United(11) & Rangers(13) have gained more points than us.

1. Rangers 13pts (only played 5)

2. United 11pts (only played 5)

3. Hibs 10pts

4. M/Well 10pts

Ok we should have beaten Accies. It's still very difficult to complain about things.

As for the next four games, we've only lost 1 game against these four teams this season, so why fear them.

That would be the same Alex Ferguson who went in the huff with the BBC (because they ran a true story about his son's dodgy dealings as an agent) and stopped speaking to them.

Um, yes, it would be. Which was my point.

He'd fuck the BBC off but he wouldn't fuck everybody off, because he knows how to manage the media. Jim still doesn't.

Oh woe is us :huh:

Can I ask the doom and gloom merchants who like to dissect everything to the minutest detail. Are you enjoying the season thus far?

And equally, are we doing better than you thought we would after the summer upheaval?

We're 12 games into the season with a completely revamped team. Conventional wisdom says it takes 2 to 3 years for a manager to reconstruct. I know patience isn't a virtue amongst fans (myself included), but we need to cut the guy a bit of slack here. Just the fact that he delivered on every player he said he'd bring in gives me confidence he will improve things in the next transfer window.

And equally, are we doing better than you thought we would after the summer upheaval?

For me that's a yes, and with that I consider myself satisfied with the way things are going. Could always be better of course but not much to grumble about in my view. Nitpicking is how I'd describe most of the criticisms but each to their own.

We're 12 games into the season with a completely revamped team. Conventional wisdom says it takes 2 to 3 years for a manager to reconstruct. I know patience isn't a virtue amongst fans (myself included), but we need to cut the guy a bit of slack here. Just the fact that he delivered on every player he said he'd bring in gives me confidence he will improve things in the next transfer window.

Conventional wisdom is something that died out with bosman era. Managers don't get that luxury of time and players contracts get ever shorter.

As it is I'm pretty happy with the progress we've made, considering we've had a fair bit of upheaval if the manager had been a Maplas we'd probably be rooted to the bottom of the league and fair miserable.

Gannon is being given plenty slack and generally getting praised to the hilt but it is almost like a repeat of McGhee's first season you get shot down in flames for questioning anything the new messiah does.

Everyone is pretty happy but at sametime looking around about us and seeing the wider picture there is a big opportunity to be had here for a very good season and there are a few things that cause concern in way we let a few points slip away. Its no crisis but as pointed out we're very much doing well but still on balance look like we could go either way. I'm willing to be glass half full but lets not imagine there is nothing to(constructively) criticise or debate, be it the merits of some players or the manner the manager seems to approach some games or the the general performances. This is the purpose of this forum is it not?

As for enjoying the season, somewhat. It is more interesting on paper than it has been at most of the games but certainly been a lot worse in my time.

Everyone is pretty happy but at sametime looking around about us and seeing the wider picture there is a big opportunity to be had here for a very good season and there are a few things that cause concern in way we let a few points slip away.

Yes,there is a nagging sense of an opportunity missed,especially when taking into account the opposition to come in our next 4 matches and the failure to beat 10 man opposition in our last two outings.

I've enjoyed it so far. I reckon a nice jaunt towards mid-table security would still consitute an excellent season.

The press weren't doing anything that we fans didn't do on these very forums by speculating who Gannon was talking about when he made his veiled comments. For fans to criticize the press for doing so smacks of hypocrisy when there is a long thread on these boards on the very same topic.

When Gannon said "I think you just need to look at the team sheet" that's exactly what everyone did and the press wouldn't have been doing their job properly if they hadn't run with that angle.

Gannon made a comment that backfired, he should have taken it on the chin and moved on. Instead by inflaming the situation he's following a mistake with a mistake.

As for the programme notes, well first of all the stuff about Burley is absolute rot and the comments he signs off with make him sound rather pompous and arrogant.

If we lose the next two games, which we are expected to,

Says who? Fair enough Hibs pumped us but we have a good record against Dundee United in recent games and have beaten them this season and kept a clean sheet (even if due to a wonder save) and we have won at easter road in recent times. So 4 points in the next 2 for me and all will be rosy :notworthy:

If we lose the next two games, which we are expected to, the wheels could be well and truly off the wagon and we could find ourselves scrambling about the wrong end of the league.

I don't mean to sound negative, but are we really to be considered as a top six side?

I've always looked upon Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen & Dundee United as the clubs who can look upon finishing outside the top six as a failure.

Sure, it would be a great achievement to finish up there, but i'm wondering if recent seasons of us punching a bit above our weight has led to some fans thinking that we are bigger & better than we are.

Were currently sitting 4 points clear of Aberdeen who are in 6th position, and i'd look on us still sitting in this position come Christmas as a great half-season, especially considering the circumstances we were in at the start of the season just before Gannon came in.

As far as i'm concerned, we've hit the jackpot with a crop of promising youngsters and another very good manager, and I don't see any point in speculating about his commitment until he actually says something that leads us to believe he's on his way out.

I'm more than happy with how things are going, and i'm looking forward to seeing us challenge for a top 6 spot this season.

I don't mean to sound negative, but are we really to be considered as a top six side?

I've always looked upon Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen & Dundee United as the clubs who can look upon finishing outside the top six as a failure.

Dundee United have been decent (5th in the last 2 seasons). They also had a purple patch in the 80's. Outwith that, they have been pretty pish. Dundee United have no real reason to expect to finish top 6 every season, and are not really that much bigger than us.

Dundee United have been decent (5th in the last 2 seasons). They also had a purple patch in the 80's. Outwith that, they have been pretty pish. Dundee United have no real reason to expect to finish top 6 every season, and are not really that much bigger than us.

You don't think there would be more surprise and anger if United finished 7th this season than there would be if we finished 7th?

You don't think there would be more surprise and anger if United finished 7th this season than there would be if we finished 7th?

I think a lot of that has to do with them - like Aberdeen - still living in the 80s a bit much. It's not like we get pissed off at finishing 7th cos, hey in the 30's we won the league. The 'New Firm' seem to have this weird and unjustified sense of entitlement purely because 25-30 years ago they did quite well.

Glories of the 80s doesn't help but probably higher expectations from being one of the 'City clubs' as well. Their fan base outstrips the rest. Really, Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dun Utd, Hearts, and Hibs should be the ones making up the top six without doubt. However, at least one of them has a gash season every year. Hearts this year....so far.

In fact wasn't last year the first time since the SPL formed that the top six was filled by the 'City clubs'?

If so even then Hibs just snuck it.

If you go on population in the surrounding area we should be one of the most supported clubs in the country. It is the only the West of Scotland bigotry factor that hampers our numbers in the stands. Nothing to do with being in a city or not. The other clubs just happen to be further away from the cancer twins.

Why don't you all just come out and say we're batting above our average then? Would at least get an amusing reaction from fatcalf :unsure:

The facts are like this - we've been a top flight side for quarter of a century, so we've got every right to consider ourselves established and we've got every right to compete.

Another fact that we can't ignore is that there is more teams this season scrapping it out at the bottom. St Johnstone, Accies, Falkirk and Kilmarnock are all crap. Hibs and Dundee Utd are probably a level above us at the moment, so the way I see it is that we have a four team "mini-league" competing for two top six places. That league is made up of ourselves, St Mirren, Aberdeen and Hearts. I'd like to think we were the best of that four, but I think we'll end up bottom six because of stupid points lost against St Johnstone, Rangers, Aberdeen, Accies, etc. That's eight extra points we should have had already just off the top of my head and if we'd finished these teams off we would be sitting top of the league!

St.Johnstone game was a fair result that could have went either way.

Accies was points flung away that threatened to be even worse.

So points we flung away for me are Accies, Rangers and Aberdeen games. Of which we didn't really create enough to deserve more from aberdeen and arguably rangers games. But overall between having a man advantage and missed pens lately we've let points slip.

We could just have easily lost the Accies game and St. Johnstone game, so I'm still not convinced it's 8 points thrown away.

Just the joys of following a relatively young and inexperienced team!

I have admit that we have found a greater consistency, and level of performance than I thought possible at the start of the season.