389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on what?

Wee bit of what Leeann Dempster said (new manager will be in place for Rangers game) and the way the tabloid media react to a vacant managerial position that is open for anything more than a few days (week or so of chucking random names into the mix before a source gives them a shortlist, they play with that for a day or two then they find out who the leading candidate is and generally announce it before the contracts have been signed). Also my own opinion based on the fact the club will no doubt be looking to give the new man a couple of days at the club to prepare as best he can for the Rangers, Celtic, and, Accies games.

Of the names mentioned, I would go for John Collins at the moment. I concede that it is a risk but Motherwell have to do something different if they are going to continue to punch above their weight.

I have heard comments that he would lose the dressing room but there were factors at Hibs that need not apply at Motherwell. The playing personel for one. I think that Laslay, Saunders, Jennings, Hately etc (I omit Craigan because I think that Gannons tenure showed that Craigan is not a man open to change) are going to be far more open to new ideas than the Riordons, Fletchers, Stokes etc that were the influencal men of the Hibs players of the time. Also I would think that Collins has learnt from his mistakes as far as showing his six pack is concerned and would approach things in a more professional manner this time round.

The argument that it would be Gannon all over again actually appeals to me. People like to forget the facts during Gannons time at the club. He took a ship wreck of a squad and rebuilt it in the space of two weeks. Apart from two poor results in December (St Johnstone and Rangers) Gannons record was good. Let's not forget as well when we are thinking about the Ibrox game that December, that Brown subjected us to a good few woeful performances at both Ibrox and Parkhead too. Gannon left us in 5th and we finished 5th in season 09/10. When the messiah Brown left where were we sitting? 5th.

A man that preaches fitness, discipline, football on the deck, professionalism etc as Collins does has got to be a good thing. The stumbling block for me is would he want the job?

I am not overly impressed with any of the usual suspects mentioned here. Hughes is tactically naïve.

What will get me interested will be an appointment of someone we have not heard of. McGhee, Gannon and Brown were all different. There appointments were refreshing and had us all guessing what their approach would be. And credit to Boyle I thought they were all successful. ( the football in McGhee's first season was some of the best I have seen and Gannon made some great signings)

1'st point. McGhee was tactically naive as well when it came to the crunch.

Boyle has done well in his last few appointments, no doubt about that whatsoever (coming from a massive, massive critic) Issue for me is, We, as a club and a support need 'Galvanised' big time just now.......... Last guy who done that was big Butcher. All for one and one for all. For me (anyway) 'Yogi' 'might' be the man given his previous work with youths, budgets ect. Scottish Cup final at Falkirk ? Europe ect. Stability is the only way forward for me (IMO) at the moment. Pick an ambitious' guy by all means, just make sure he stays a couple of seasons............

Of the names mentioned, I would go for John Collins at the moment... I have heard comments that he would lose the dressing room but there were factors at Hibs that need not apply at Motherwell.

Its oft quoted that John Collins was difficult to work with and stirred up dressing room unrest. Thats as may be. However, what is most often overlooked is that he left Mixu Paatelinen a poor squad. The squad he left was grossly overhyped by the media (young + Hibs employee = great player). I have been led to believe he left before he was found out. If true, thats worrying. A big name in football terms and an ex OF player but folk shouldn't be taken in by that.

Although he has zero chance of being appointed, Tommy Mclean is a good 7 years younger than Craig Brown, and if asked, I’m sure he would relish another shot at the job. Like Craig, he is old school but as Broon and Archie proved, that is not necessary a bad thing.

It would be mental if he came back and added a second Motherwell Cup Final win to his CV!

Although he has zero chance of being appointed, Tommy Mclean is a good 7 years younger than Craig Brown, and if asked, I'm sure he would relish another shot at the job. Like Craig, he is old school but as Broon and Archie proved, that is not necessary a bad thing.

It would be mental if he came back and added a second Motherwell Cup Final win to his CV!

What come back, be shite, and ruin his status at Motherwell. Don't think so.

According to Andy Devlin in the Sun, Alan Stubbs has now emerged as front runner to fill our vacancy. Interviews will be concluded today with an appointment possible in the next 48 hours. Stuart McCall has also been interviewed and Chris Sutton is a contender too. Mark McGhee will not be returning.

According to Andy Devlin in the Sun, Alan Stubbs has now emerged as front runner to fill our vacancy. Interviews will be concluded today with an appointment possible in the next 48 hours. Stuart McCall has also been interviewed and Chris Sutton is a contender too. Mark McGhee will not be returning.

Oh no, not the same calibre of people we had on the shortlist when Gannon got the gig.

Stubbs is at Everton as Assistant Manager of the Reserves.

McCall has had some experience at Bradford, but at best his time was a bit meh.

Sutton, not great by any means at Lincoln.

You would think that Andy Devlin may have got 5 minutes alone with Leeann to get a scoop over his compatriots considering he was chairing the MST event last night.

If Stubbs is in pole position then I hope its maybe down to a Moyes/Scottish/Everton/Juke and Ruddy did well/Blood Youngsters in 1st Team/Feeder Club/Motherwell thing.

After all our EPL starlets in the past few seasons have been key additions and critical to the squad.

Can't speak about the man in question, you would think he is getting good reports from down south to be even considered with his limited experience.

Whoever gets it, I'd like to see commitment with respect to moving to the area (if they are currently outside a commutable distance) and a contract with an easy get out clause for Well.

Bit out of order, but hey, here's a suggestion, anyone want to take this thread forward by suggesting realistic appointments? I dunno, call me old fashioned but some of the posts on this so far are a waste of bandwidth.

If we're advocating Chris Houghton, then I'll have a Mourinho with a Hiddink as number 2.

Now listen, I'll spell it out, Here's JB's criteria:

1) Either free agent or able to break contract without penalty.

2) Someone who is prepared to come to Motherwell.

3) Can achieve a lot with a little budget.

Paul_Daniels.jpg <_>

1) Either free agent or able to break contract without penalty.

2) Someone who is prepared to come to Motherwell.

3) Can achieve a lot with a little budget.

You are 100% correct of course, but these criteria could apply to many applicants. I doubt for example if John Boyle would be likely to appoint someone to the post if they did not want to come. It would be an embarassing situation if JB appointed a candidate who then refused to take up the post on the basis they had never wanted to come.

A bit tongue in cheek here so please indulge me. I predict that the successful candidate will be male with some connection to football.

Somebody tell him for gods sake. <_>

Google should give you the answer.

Hope this helps. :ph34r:

Aye thanks for the PM but I am well aware of his battles. I did miss a :lol: from my original post before I actually made my (unlinked) point about Stubbs.

Just let me clear something up though. I am not easily offended, I find Frankie Boyle hilarious, I don't know Stubbs, cancer has affected my family, madwullie's line was funny to me.

Hope that answers most of your questions.

Aye thanks for the PM but I am well aware of his battles. I did miss a :lol: from my original post before I actually made my (unlinked) point about Stubbs.

Just let me clear something up though. I am not easily offended, I find Frankie Boyle hilarious, I don't know Stubbs, cancer has affected my family, madwullie's line was funny to me.

Hope that answers most of your questions.

Nice attempt. :whistling: