389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see Billy Reid coming to FP. I wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't be absoloutly gutted if he did come. He's brought Accies up from being a mid table D1 to a established SPL side. He also had a record of bring through young players and selling them on for 1m+. Not a bad shout imo

Why the clamour for John Collins??

He has an ego as big as McGhee and did nothing at Hibs apart from fall out with their players, hardly a glowing endorsement. I would rather have Butcher back. Problem is he would have to bring Malpas back and that wont happen.

My thoughts exactly. He walked out on Hibs and left his successor a poor but much over-rated squad. Basically left before things went belly up.

:O nice!

With McCart at 5's and no mention of Youngie, why does managing a bigger clubs youth team qualify you over a loyal employee and give you such short odds?

I'm with you on that, Ladywell. Being a good head of Youth Development is entirely different from being a good manager. Just ask Falkirk and Eddie May!

Can't say I'm taken with any of the names mentioned so far for various reasons - only possible exception is John McGlynn and I don't know an awful lot about him. Surprised too at Billy Stark being mentioned after his somewhat less than successful stint at McDiarmid Park.

In recent times, JB has had some success with bringing in surprise names and I hope he'll do so again. Its best to take our time and get the right man.

Yes, it should be an interesting evening tomorrow, Colin.

I met Gordon Young for the first time recently and was impressed with his attitude and I understood very quickly that he has Claret blood coursing through his veins.

Craigan is reaching the end of his playing career, I felt he handled the Gannon thing impeccably against constant undermining. He exhibited the demeanour of a true professional and gentleman. He is erudite and has a good TV pedigree and presence.

What is important for me is both have desire and fight, in abundance Youngie is like a pit pull and look at the way Craigan turns to the East and pumps his fist when we win, they both really care about this club.

I definitely wouldn't look to hire any of the regulars on the SPL managerial merry-go-round. Also, anyone currently under contract is out too as we can't afford the compensation unless they are Dr Martin's/Irish League managers or have a big team get-out clause. The benefit of hiring an unknown is they have contacts, influence and knowledge of different pool of players that would normally be off our radar. The reason Gannon still gets a split reaction from our support is the legacy of the players he brought in and left us.

Based on that, I would look to get Youngie to run training in the same vein as Knox and let Craigan handle the press conferences and media. I'm unsure if they are both already too close to the team as you do need a degree of distance. As for the tactics I would hope they could grow into that role and iron it out as they go between them or rely in another addition to the backroom staff.

I would also be open to anyone from any league or country as JB's acumen has mostly been not too bad, just like Humphrey on occasion, the final ball could do with some work.

Also, which looney's have voted for McGhee? - The Aberdeen supporters who joined up tonight I'm guessing.

Finally, out the current list I'd only have Collins for overall charge. Leitch, I don't know the whole story concerning his departure so will reserve judgement, reservation he has been tainted by McGhee's ego.

The way it is put here, Youngie and Craigan would certainly have the club's interests at heart. Wouldn't be averse to Butcher coming back (with or without Malpas), or Calderwood, or Leitch (after all we never heard his version of why he left apart from a few rumours).

But I think John Boyle will have his own ideas, and he will surprise everybody.

I'm still going with Dickov, think he meets a lot of the required tick-boxes;

Working with a small budget

Working with a young squad - topped up with loan signings

Working with a club currently "punching above it's weight". Oldham have average crowds of around 4500 like us.

Only on a 12 month contract, so less than 9 months remaining.

Very good links with various clubs (2 of which are top 4 in the Premiership),

Exceptional close ties with Manchester City, who have a highly regarded youth set-up for tapping us into.

Should have a good understanding of the Scottish game, possibly even a local lad, is he from Bellshill or i'm I thinking about Dougie Freedman????

Something a little bit different from the usual mob

Ok he's only in his first season of management but proving to be coping well.

I'm trying to locate a recent video about him from the Man City website but cannae find the link any longer, seemed like a decent chap going in the right direction.

PS....Randolph would love Dickov's club trips to La Manga :O

I met Gordon Young for the first time recently and was impressed with his attitude and I understood very quickly that he has Claret blood coursing through his veins.

Craigan is reaching the end of his playing career, I felt he handled the Gannon thing impeccably against constant undermining. He exhibited the demeanour of a true professional and gentleman. He is erudite and has a good TV pedigree and presence.

What is important for me is both have desire and fight, in abundance Youngie is like a pit pull and look at the way Craigan turns to the East and pumps his fist when we win, they both really care about this club.

I definitely wouldn't look to hire any of the regulars on the SPL managerial merry-go-round. Also, anyone currently under contract is out too as we can't afford the compensation unless they are Dr Martin's/Irish League managers or have a big team get-out clause. The benefit of hiring an unknown is they have contacts, influence and knowledge of different pool of players that would normally be off our radar. The reason Gannon still gets a split reaction from our support is the legacy of the players he brought in and left us.

Based on that, I would look to get Youngie to run training in the same vein as Knox and let Craigan handle the press conferences and media. I'm unsure if they are both already too close to the team as you do need a degree of distance. As for the tactics I would hope they could grow into that role and iron it out as they go between them or rely in another addition to the backroom staff.

I would also be open to anyone from any league or country as JB's acumen has mostly been not too bad, just like Humphrey on occasion, the final ball could do with some work.

Also, which looney's have voted for McGhee? - The Aberdeen supporters who joined up tonight I'm guessing.

Finally, out the current list I'd only have Collins for overall charge. Leitch, I don't know the whole story concerning his departure so will reserve judgement, reservation he has been tainted by McGhee's ego.

The way it is put here, Youngie and Craigan would certainly have the club's interests at heart. Wouldn't be averse to Butcher coming back (with or without Malpas), or Calderwood, or Leitch (after all we never heard his version of why he left apart from a few rumours).

But I think John Boyle will have his own ideas, and he will surprise everybody.

I'm still going with Dickov, think he meets a lot of the required tick-boxes;

Working with a small budget

Working with a young squad - topped up with loan signings

Working with a club currently "punching above it's weight". Oldham have average crowds of around 4500 like us.

Only on a 12 month contract, so less than 9 months remaining.

Very good links with various clubs (2 of which are top 4 in the Premiership),

Exceptional close ties with Manchester City, who have a highly regarded youth set-up for tapping us into.

Should have a good understanding of the Scottish game, possibly even a local lad, is he from Bellshill or i'm I thinking about Dougie Freedman????

Something a little bit different from the usual mob

Ok he's only in his first season of management but proving to be coping well.

I'm trying to locate a recent video about him from the Man City website but cannae find the link any longer, seemed like a decent chap going in the right direction.

PS....Randolph would love Dickov's club trips to La Manga :O

Not a bad shout. Although his contract is a rolling contract so will always be 12 months long. Also he was born in Livingston.

How come we are all outraged by Craig Browns antics and yet we are happy with the thought of Butcher bailing out on ICT. Even a thread on here saying that Butcher has already indicated that he would come. The Double Standards of football fans is staggering at times.

I thought that myself. I like ICT and i like Butcher, its not really fair to go head hunting other teams managers (as we probably have felt over the course of the last 2 or 3 managers here).

Butcher appears to be a very loyal guy so i would be astonished if he left ICT.

I thought that myself. I like ICT and i like Butcher, its not really fair to go head hunting other teams managers (as we probably have felt over the course of the last 2 or 3 managers here).

Butcher appears to be a very loyal guy so i would be astonished if he left ICT.

Because thats how it works and there is a way to do it! Taking your point on board would mean that you could only employ someone who is not already with another club - makes no sense whatsoever!!

In all walks of life, people move for new opportunities, promotions, salary increase or as shiteebroony puts it - a better job!!!

I'd have him back but then again, I'd have Mcghee back as well :whistling:

Because thats how it works and there is a way to do it! Taking your point on board would mean that you could only employ someone who is not already with another club - makes no sense whatsoever!!

In all walks of life, people move for new opportunities, promotions, salary increase or as shiteebroony puts it - a better job!!!

I'd have him back but then again, I'd have Mcghee back as well :whistling:

Other leagues have rules against this type of thing though, so you could argue there is another way to do it.

At this stage the most popular choices are Collins and Calderwood ,a good number want no one on the list and that's how I feel .When it comes to former or current players lack of experience is the problem, we need someone with a decent track record a bit of experience and some good contacts in the game .Calderwood fits the bill in all three but the idea of him or Collins even big Yogi as gaffer does nothing for me. Just put my trust in John Boyle .

I'm surprised the Brown left to go to Aberdeen, there in a mess, although a lot of that's down to the fact Muttley has lost the team and his side-kick was, according to my insider, was verging on criminal with the youngsters at the club.

Why Brown thinks this is a better job is beyond me, suppose time will tell.

As a few guys have mentioned the current financial restraints make it hard to poach another teams manager, you might have to take a punt on a younger manager as most of the current crew who are out of work are out of work for a reason, there shit. :whistling:

Steve Clarke has emerged as an early contender for the Motherwell job vacated by Craig Brown. (The Sun)

Thoughts??

I'd doubt it, he's fairly settled down south, I'm sure, no disrespect, he's looking for a bigger club, Championship at worst.

Quick reminder, it's in the Sun. :whistling: They throw a bunch of names into a hat and make up "someone close" said he'd be interested.

I'm surprised the Brown left to go to Aberdeen, there in a mess, although a lot of that's down to the fact Muttley has lost the team and his side-kick was, according to my insider, was verging on criminal with the youngsters at the club.Why Brown thinks this is a better job is beyond me, suppose time will tell.

As a few guys have mentioned the current financial restraints make it hard to poach another teams manager, you might have to take a punt on a younger manager as most of the current crew who are out of work are out of work for a reason, there shit. :whistling:

Go on..................................